BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Left wing

den

This poll really illustrates just how much of an advantage the more recent players have over older players...if they are good enough. Le Saux knocking out an England regular and one-club man Eckersley, Hendry thrashing Mike England. Duff was a great player for us but 75% (which he has at the moment) is way more than Clayton, Dougals and Crompton received. Was he so much better for Rovers than those? Personally I doubt it...while he may be on the same level as the other Rovers greats for a couple of seasons the others were great players for Rovers throughout their entire career and I don't think he would win quite so comprehensively if he had been playing for us say twenty years ago. Still he is sorely missed and I had no hesitation in voting for him. Shearer will walk the next vote (with surely an even bigger percentage of the vote than Duff) but Garner may not find it quite so easy, I'd say keep the polls going. A change is as good as a rest after all...

Edited by FourLaneBlue

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This poll really illustrates just how much of an advantage the more recent players have over older players...if they are good enough. Le Saux knocking out an England regular and one-club man Eckersley, Hendry thrashing Mike England. Duff was a great player for us but 75% (which he has at the moment) is way more than Clayton, Dougals and Crompton received. Was he so much better for Rovers than those? Personally I doubt it...while he may be on the same level as the other Rovers greats for a couple of seasons the others were great players for Rovers throughout their entire career and I don't think he would win quite so comprehensively if he had been playing for us say twenty years ago. Still he is sorely missed and I had no hesitation in voting for him. Shearer will walk the next vote (with surely an even bigger percentage of the vote than Duff) but Garner may not find it quite so easy, I'd say keep the polls going. A change is as good as a rest after all...

Good post there FLB and sort of builds on what I was trying to say earlier re Sellars and Duff.

I haven't made my selection yet as I try to base my decision on certain factors including how good they actually were for the Rovers. Looking back Wilcox and WAGGY deserve their mentions and also need to be considered but I suppose it depends all on how you base your vote really.

Christmas break please. I wonb't be on the computer much and it will give people a chance to have a breather, and show those in authority that the English leauge also needs one.

I've still not voted, will probably vote for Duff still as he would have been great if he'd stayed longer. I don't think the strikers are set in stone though.

Christmas break please. I wonb't be on the computer much and it will give people a chance to have a breather, and show those in authority that the English leauge also needs one.

Why does the English League need a break?

For the fans, its probably the most eagerly awaited part of the season, unless your team is involved in relegation/promotion.

tinykit.gifcool.gif

BTW chaps - shall we plough through Christmas and new year with this poll, or take a break and come back in January with the striker and best ever player polls?

What does anyone think. I'm leaning towards a mid winter break. smile.gif

Keep it going Den, we've done 9 out of the 11 and the final 2 are a formality anyway.

It'll be just like coitus reservatus otherwise.

Anyway, my panegyric to Ashley Ward is burning a hole on my C drive.

(spell check that!)

I'd go for a Christmas break. I think the striker debate could be very interesting plus I don't think Shearer/Garner is a foregone conclusion - though I did a few weeks back. Don't forget people will be away, some only access the site from work etc.

I think to be fair to everyone, a Christmas break after this left winger poll, is the way to go.

I'll let this poll go until the end of this week and then close down until January. There's more than enough footy over Christmas to keep everyone busy.

Then in January we can have the two strikers and the poll for the best of the lot. smile.gif

Whatever you like. What about a greatest ever club benefactor poll?

2 horse race.

John Lewis and Jack.

tinykit.gifcool.gif

three horse race.

Wasn't there a Lawrence Cotton in the early twentieth century whose money helped win two league titles and build the riverside stand?

Edited by bazza

Why does the English League need a break?

Not over Christmas, I do like the Christmas program. I would like a break after the third round of the cup in early January for 2 or 3 weeks. With the transfer window open, it gives teams a chance to bring in new players without having to put them straight into the side, recharging batteries, not putting onus on fans to go out and support with January blues, saves pitches, and a few other reasons I'll remember later. Anyway different topic.

I voted for Duff. Partly torn as Sellars used to light it up in the second division, but he was the best in the Premier league when we finished 6th, and in my eye part of the reason why we thought Gresko was the bees knees; he had Duff in front of him taking all the pressure off and doing the donkey work.

• 2 months later...

Final result:

Mike Harrison [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Damien Duff [ 161 ] [74.88%]

Ally McLeod [ 3 ] [1.40%]

Jason Wilcox [ 19 ] [8.84%]

Dave Wagstaffe [ 5 ] [2.33%]

Scott Sellars [ 14 ] [6.51%]

Bobby Langton [ 5 ] [2.33%]

Noel Brotherston [ 8 ] [3.72%]

Total Votes: 215