BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 Everton 0

philipl

So after the Kiraly show its onto The Toffees from Goodison and the unlikeliest story of the season. my step son is a passionate Everton supporter but I had forgotten he would be in a difficult to reach part of Russia when I volunteered to pen this preview- his answers to my questions will be added when received!

Immediately post-Rooney with all the board ructions at Everton this fixture looked like it was going to be another in a procession of easier games in the run up to Christmas after we had the most horrible opening set of games handed to us by the Premiership computer. Rovers v Everton is as the truism goes one of the oldest games in the fixture list: both were original members of the Football League and both (with villa) original members of the Premier League.

Everton have the advantage over us in terms of all time results between the two sides and with nine championships and five FA cup wins shade it in terms of Honours won as well. However Everton are not the club we have played the most often in our league history- that honour was lost late in the 70s when our 26 years long exile from the top division meant that fellow travellers around the divisions Sheffield United assumed that position- Everton of course are enjoying the second longest unbroken run in the top division after Arsenal.

For all the games we have played against the Toffees few in my lifetime have been memorable- there was a certain frissance to the games after they had signed Fred Pickering. Following relegation in '65/6 Rovers rarely drew top flight opposition in the cups but we did get away ties at Goodison on two occasions- loosing 0-3 and 0-2.

In the Premiership we have traded wins with Everton with abandon, quite often one side getting results against the other against the form book- lets hope that continues on Saturday! First season back under Souness I recall a well organised Everton doing the double over us but we returned the complement the following season. The most recent result was a 1-0 away win to the Rovers when a wonderful Stead/ Cole move produced an emphatic headed winner for Stead.

Going back in time there was a lovely game in the late 90s when the Rovers scored twice in the last ten minutes to steal a victory at Ewood and tthere was the glorious 3-0 win at Goodison over Easter '94 when we kept our title challenge alive against the odds with a Wilcox strike from 30 yards past a shocked Southall which was one of the better goals I have seen the Rovers score. Of course Colin Hendry's heroism at Goodison the following season defending a 1-0 lead is the stuff of legends and was in any ways the defining moment when I think all football realised that Rovers really were going to win the Premiership.

So to this week's game. On paper it looks all over a 1-0 win for The Toffees- that's how they win their games in case you haven't noticed as for the third game running the visitors to Ewood are a team that neither concede nor score many goals. From the Rovers' perspective the combination of suspensions and injuries means that this is going to be the most interesting line-up Hughes will have selected since his first game in charge. Perhaps a certain Pedersen will get his opportunity after his season end break- all the "play Pedersen" posters are forgetting that the lad has finished a full season with the Norwegian season running through the summer unlike our Winter game. There is no doubt that Everton are one of the best organised sides around and can play pretty passing stuff if you let them- interestingly their pass completion statistics are not that much better than the Rovers'. It is their pressing and defending which are superb with Weir and Stubbs the most unlikely top performing pair of defenders in the league. The transformation of carsely (an Ewood hate figure) and Bent into star players must be a role model for Hughes and his staff when they survey the apparently limited talents available to them at Ewood.

This should be a game with an unusual amount of atmosphere for an immediate pre-Christmas fixture: Everton have long sold out their 8000 allocation at the Darwen End and those of you who will be there might find chaps and chapesses with funny squeaky accents sitting near you. A 30000 capacity crowd might be achieved.

With the relative positions of the clubs any points for the Rovers will be a bonus on Saturday- the Rovers front line is not clinical enough to give any confidence they will convert the very few opportunities that will come their way so I cannot see past a 1-0 for Everton unless Everton find their goal scoring boots.

Edited by philipl

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rovers 2

Everton 0

Att: 20 329

We all know Eveton aint that good, they have a hard working but the quality is limited. After winning the Merseyside derby they will perhaps be a bit cocky, and its about time someone sends them back to earth.

Rovers 2

Everton 0

We all know Eveton aint that good, they have a hard working but the quality is limited. After winning the Merseyside derby they will perhaps be a bit cocky, and its about time someone sends them back to earth.

Way off target with the attendance - the Toffees will have a tremendous following at Ewood.

This is a great fixture. Can't wait for the return on 5 March. If anyone is in two minds about travelling, the rail trip to Kirkdale, pausing for ale at Ormskirk is unmissable!

tinykit.gifcool.gif

Rovers 2

Everton 0

Way off target with the attendance

At least I got the result right.. rover.gif

Rovers 2

Everton 0

Good call Krislu!

BTW how's the weather in Bergen right now?

tinykit.gifcool.gif

For as much as I haven't at all rated Everton over the last few seasons, it's apparent that Moyes has somehow manufactured a team from the ashes of Rooney's departure and their boardroom in-fighting.

I find this a bitter pill as my ex-flatmate was a staunch Evertonian (and owes me £200!!), and on paper there is not a great deal between the sides, however I cannot see us winning on Sat sad.gif

Everton 1 (Graveson 23)

Rovers 0

All hands to the attacking pump for the majority of the 2nd half.... to no effect!

Freidel

Neill Todd Short Matteo

Reid Bazza Tugay Emerton

Dickov Bothroyd

Rovers 2

Everton 0

Good call Krislu!

BTW how's the weather in Bergen right now?

tinykit.gifcool.gif

About 7C, and in a few minutes it will be raining cats and dogs..

2-0 Everton...full of confidence and playing against a huff and puff Rovers side short on quality and self belief.Yet another depressing walk back home along Livesey branch awaits Saturday.

7,500 passionate Toffees to make it like a home game for them....talk about rubbing it in sad.gif

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

I cannot explain to myself why Everton are doing so well. When they sold Rooney I thought they were going down. Now, although surely their luck will run out eventually, they're sitting 2nd in the premiership above Arsenal and Manchester United. Why ? They don't have top-quality players, they really aren't that much better than us, yet look at where they are and where we are. Why ???

I don't know what score to predict....judging by the league table and current form Everton should have no problems with us, but somehow they still fail to fill me with fear. I think we can get a draw out of this, 1-1.

Rovers 0 Everton 3

The Darwen End sees that the crowd just creeps above 19,000.

Are you having a laugh mate, Everton are bringing 7k+. Thats means around 12,000 Rovers fans for a non sky game at 3pm vs a fellow lancastrian team who are 2nd, dont think so sumhow. More like 27,000+ and i really looking forward to it.

Edited by BRFC4EVA

Hughes will really motivate the players and I think we can hold them.

Stubbs (og) for us and Bent for them.1-1.

Friedel

Neill Todd Short Matteo

Emo Fergie Flitcroft Reid

Dickov Bothroyd

Subs:

Encks

NEJ

Pedersen

Stead

Gallager

This is a must win 3 points game.

I will not allow defeat, if it has to be dogs of war tactics I dont care. For once I will accept a none entertaining boring backs against the wall display as long as we defeat Everton.

Victory is a must.

1-0, 2-1, 3-2, I dont care - we just must win, or Christmas in our house is cancelled. I just couldnt cope with a certain member of our family, with his smug face posing in his Everton shirt, when I pick him up from the airport next week.

I'll be happy with a point to be honest. Everton are punching well above their weight but they are well organised and I can't see us scoring and with our defence....... At least it should be a good crowd as they have all the Darwen End don't they.

It shows what difference a good manager can make though when you look at Everton. They have players like Carsley and Bent in the team and yet are 2nd in the league, unbelieveable.

Could someone ask the drummer to please be quiet on Saturday. I'm on my works night out on Friday and then have to get up early for the trip down so will be in need of a bit of shut eye by 3 o'clock.

We need to raise our game and create more chances and execute them. Andy Todd has been great in defence and hope that he keeps his concentration. As for the attendance, Everton have got the whole of the Darwen end they will probably fill it (7,000) i'd say around 28,000.

Come on Rovers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.