Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 Everton 0

philipl

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well, it'll be nice to be at Ewood anyway......... huh.gif

The lads have had their Christmas 'do' by the look of it. Having looked at the pictures posted in other threads. biggrin.gif Let's hope they've recovered by Saturday.

Not really expecting a win, just hoping our goal difference doesn't get much worse. Tho' if Hughes has done his homework and managed to get the lads fired up you never know.

Edited by roversmum

i am reasonably confident about saturday. if history is anything to go by...liverpool had a massive win in the champs league, but then have been really flat since. everton, massive win in the scouse derby...hopefully they will be the same.

in days gone by this is the kinda game that rovers would step it up for....and turn over some quality teams. hope this is another of those occasions.

Im am dreading this game, apart from the fact i expect us to lose its going to be made alot worse....

12:30pm drive to Blackburn giving 3 of my mates (all everton season ticket holders) a lift

1:15pm drive to burnley and pick up uncle (Burnley season ticket holder)

2:00pm arrive at ewood

3:00pm 90 minutes of hell

4:45pm Humilation for many days to come

Rovers 0-3 Everton

After all the crap i gave my mates last year after beating them twice i will not here the end of this for a very long time.

Rovers 2-1 Toffees

Emerton Carsley (p)

Gallagher Gravesen s/o

Anyone remember Rovers 2-1 Everton pre-season a few years back? Jansen scored an absolute cracker and Gravesen was unbelievably dirty until he got his marching orders.

A repeat of the red card and the result please!

Im am dreading this game, apart from the fact i expect us to lose its going to be made alot worse....

12:30pm drive to Blackburn giving 3 of my mates (all everton season ticket holders) a lift

Rovers 0-3 Everton

After all the crap i gave my mates last year after beating them twice i will not here the end of this for a very long time.

Can I suggest a different itinerary which should improve your day immeasurably?

12:30pm drive to Blackburn giving 3 of your mates (all everton season ticket holders) a lift

That way, you avoid the worst bit.

Drab game, bad result. Everton are quite a cohesive unit, they will only need to score one to take all three points, can't see us scoring.

It's on the Telly at 1:00pm Arizona time over here for anyone interested. I should be able to get out of the Xmas shopping for that one but I am not convinced I actually want to.

Rovers 0-3 Everton

Can I suggest an even better itenary?

12:30pm drive to Blackburn giving 3 of your mates (all everton season ticket holders) a lift charging them a fiver in the process

1:15pm drive to burnley and accidentally run over uncle (Burnley season ticket holder)

3:00pm 90 minutes of sheer unprecedented hell

4:50pm Contemplation of relegation

4:55pm Contemplation of suicide

5:00pm Realisation that death is infinitely better than following the Rovers down the pan/up the creek

----------------------------------------------

I am in a similar situation regarding the income of taunts from evertonian buddies after the gloating I undertook last year. In the all time meetings between Blackburn and Everton, we were one ahead on wins in 2001/2, then one behind after they did the double over us in 2002/3 (but who was laughing final day of the season?) and now one ahead after doing the double over them in 2003/4.

So this match could nullify that lead.

This match will nullify that lead.

We will lose. Can't get any simpler. A draw? Not even luck will help us to that...

sad.gif

carsley and graveson versus Fergy and Flitcroft ?

looks like a midfield battle that can only be won by the wide men having a bit more space.

they have kilbane we have emerton

they have cahill we have pederson/gallagher

they have bent and ferguson we have stead/dickov and bothroyd

sad.gif

Reid hasn't got his ban yet, has he? I reckon Pederson won't play, he played for the reserves this week (?).

Can't believe how highly people are rating Everton unsure.gif

They're 'doing a villa' under Gregory, 'a Bolton' or 'a Charlton' from previous years.

I'll bet anyone on this forum as much as you want that they won't finish top 6.

Rovers to win, 2-0.

That's a pretty brave bet, or daft. Everton clearly are functioning very well as a team. When someone tried to highlight their superiority the players just looked very similar in ability to ours but you can't knock what they are doing. I'm actually quietly confident about Saturday, either way it won't be as one-sided as some people believe. Don't think i'd like to be offering bets on Everton finishing out of the top 6 though. I think they have every chance.

That's a pretty brave bet, or daft. Everton clearly are functioning very well as a team. When someone tried to highlight their superiority the players just looked very similar in ability to ours but you can't knock what they are doing. I'm actually quietly confident about Saturday, either way it won't be as one-sided as some people believe. Don't think i'd like to be offering bets on Everton finishing out of the top 6 though. I think they have every chance.

IMO we're not THAT far behind Everton. They've tightened up their defence, we're showing a few signs of doing that too. We just need to start nicking a few goals and we're on a par with them basically. People are making them out to be an awesome force rolleyes.gif

IMO we're not THAT far behind Everton. They've tightened up their defence, we're showing a few signs of doing that too. We just need to start nicking a few goals and we're on a par with them basically. People are making them out to be an awesome force rolleyes.gif

We're 22 points behind them after only 17 games. I'd call that a fairly long way.

Here are some answers from my Everton-supporting step son pieced together from our conversations:

Why oh why are you a Toffee? "Blue was my favourite colour and when I came to England from the Soviet Union aged 9 I was desperate to see English football on the television. The first game I saw was Everton at Goodison and I thought they looked really smart."

You were lucky they weren't showing Oldham: "No comment!"

You must have been an oddity supporting Everton at Eton: "most of the boys didn't follow any football team so I was a bit different- in the end many of my friends started following Everton because of my influence."

How is the nose bleed? "very nice thank you! This is how you must have felt back in the early '90s when Rovers emerged."

Will it continue to the end of the season and automatic champions League qualification? "We'll be suffering altitude sickness never mind the loss of blood! A lot depends on avoiding injuries and suspensions but we have some good youngsters coming through who could probably rise to the occasion. I am very confident of European qualification as we are now nine points ahead of 7th place and there has to be a big doubt about the ability of any of the chasing clubs overtaking us for fourth; that is assuming Arsenal and United are good enough to go 2nd or 3rd! At least nobody is talking about us winning the Premiership!"

We had an obnoxious Scottish manager who upset people and couldn't change- you have one who did the same but has created the tightest team spirit in British football: what is Moyes' secret? "Moyes is just brilliant. He is tough personally and all the players respect him for that but he is also very intelligent and extremely good at thinking a game through. Nobody has broken our 4-1-4-1 system yet and it is something the players know works and uses their strengths. I actually like Souness a lot- he is always good for a quote and he did a fantastic job for you because in 1999 you were going nowhere in Division 1. But there is no doubt that Moyes is on a different level from Souness in terms of tactics management and motivation."

Which players should we be worried about when we play you? "All of them! Everton are flying!!!!And I cannot wait for next week, I have so much confidence in my team at the moment. Nigel martin is in the best for he has ever been in; our full backs are solid; Stubbs and especially Weir are outstanding and must be the best centre back pairing in the League; Gravesen and carsely stop anyone else from controlling the midfield no matter who they are playing against; Cahill Osman and Kilbane are a lot more creative than they are being given credit for whilst Bent is fantastic- you were mad to get rid of him! Don't forget big Duncan Ferguson- he has won us several points and is the most dangerous and intimidating substitute in the Premiership."

What are your weaknesses? "We have no individual stars now Rooney has left us and the team works for each other so well that if one player is not having a good day he gets covered by the others and that is creating confidence right through the side. I used to think Pistone was weak but he doing well. Hibbert is vulnerable to pace and strength so if Emerton is on song we might have some problems there."

What do you think of Rovers this season? "I really expected you to do well and be challenging for Europe. I think you were very unlucky with those early games against Southampton and United and you play some good football when I see you on television. Your defence is a bit of a joke at times and that has been the problem. I like Ferguson and Dikov and Tugay is so cool."

Will we go down? "Don't think so."

What will the score be? "Everton should win."

Can't believe how highly people are rating Everton unsure.gif

They're 'doing a villa' under Gregory, 'a Bolton' or 'a Charlton' from previous years.

I'll bet anyone on this forum as much as you want that they won't finish top 6.

Rovers to win, 2-0.

More like there doing a rovers from our first season under Woy.

Anyway, i also believe rovers will win.

Rovers 2-1 Everton

Dickov (32) Graveson (55)

Emerton (68)

Att: 28,004

IMO we're not THAT far behind Everton.  They've tightened up their defence, we're showing a few signs of doing that too. We just need to start nicking a few goals and we're on a par with them basically.  People are making them out to be an awesome force  rolleyes.gif

We're 22 points behind them after only 17 games. I'd call that a fairly long way.

Amazing what a few scrappy wins do for your points tally. I was talking about on the whole, as a club.

So will YOU take me up on the bet?

After last time at Ewood and the times before that, since the Liverpool game infact, we have played a similar starting XI, Players like Johansson, Todd and McEveley have been shifted from the starting lineup to the bench or vice versa, in what is a defensive lineup. Emerton, Bothroyd/Stead/Jansen/Gallagher, Dickov and possibly Ferguson are told to push forward with Reid and Tugay/Flitty and the defence told to stay back.

The Liverpool game was a game which I thought Hughes approached correctly, home, keep it tight for as long as possible and try to defend any lead we get and look to break on the counter. In the end McEveley's mistake cost us but most people would have taken the point pre match.

The following away games at Norwich City and Man City were approached again in keep it tight for as long as possible and look to break on the counter. This worked to good affect at Fulham, although the early goal gave Rovers the confidence to brush a poor team aside. Last week we defended resolutely but inveitably should have taken something from the Eagles who I still think will be fighting for their lives come May, maybe a more attacking lineup would have helped us?

The matches I have been most disappointed with Hughes is the home matches against Birmingham and Tottenham. In the Birmingham game we played very for the first 10 mins but after we scored we let Birmingham come on to us as if we were playing away from home and desperately trying to defend a lead, when instead we were at home to a club in a similar league position to ourselves. Luckily we rallied and managed to get on the front foot in the second half as Reid became more of an attacking threat. The match against the Toffees could be a mirror image of the Spurs game, so far this season Everton have won 8, 8/17 almost 50% of their games 1-0, the problem with the Spurs game was that a good defensive team turned up and played for a 0-0 draw and tried to nick it which in the end they did through Robbie Keane.

With Everton's impressive defensive record and "if we dont conceded we wont lose" attitude, particularly on the road it is imperative that Rovers get on the front foot and try and score early doors. I believe an early Rovers goal could set up for a proseprous afternoon as Everton have only come behind to win once this season, in the recent fixture against Bolton when Stubbs cheated by charging the wall on a free kick and Jaidi was unlucky to force the ball into his own net.

Everton are without doubt a decent side, what we musn't do is invite Everton on us and play their way, ala very happy to defend in numbers and take a 0-0 but if a chance comes their way take it. Everton wont come at us all guns blazing flooding the Rovers box with crosses. I mean Carsley and Bent in my opinion were never Premiership quality during their time at the Rovers anyway. (Probably both score on Staurday now!!! laugh.gif )

I would like to see Hughes give the players more attacking freedom, I wouldn't make any major changes to the lineup. Possibly Stead for Bothroyd but keep the same starting side and lets get at them ruffle their feathers. and Higheshy please put Morten Gamst Pedersen on the bench (for everyone on BRFCS sake!!! biggrin.gif )

An interesting game waits in store in what will no doubt be a crucial part of our seaon be similarly could be a productive one.

If we score first: Rovers 2-0 Everton

If its 0-0 after 45mins: Rovers 0-1 Everton

Merry Christmas to all at BRFCS rover.gif Come on You Blues rover.gif

I really think for us to take any points away from this game, we really need to have a huge game within the midfield.

With Tugay out, who actually started to find some consistancy within the last month, i really think its gonna be tough for the ole rovers.

Id really like to see emerton start on the right side, and slot Reid in the centre.

Fingers crossed the boys dont rock up to the game on the weekend in their Afro's , tight pants and all-round funky getup.

If all goes to plan , i am tipping a huge game from emerton

1-0 rovers rover.gif

Edited by Poita

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.