BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers Reserves Beat City

Alan75

The game started quite brightly with Rovers making some chances. Matty Derbyshire should have done better when put through but his shot smacked into the post after beating Weaver.

A neat throughball then put Donnelly in a one-on-one situation but Weaver saved well.

A freekick on the edge of the area was blasted in by MGP but the busy Weaver was equal to it.

MGP wasn't getting a lot of the ball on the left flank. The most impressive players seemed to be the Rovers midfield trio of Danns, Harkins and Donnelly. All of them put themselves about in the tackle and we kept possession well.

Derbyshire went off, presumably due to injury. He hasn't really impressed me recently and I never really trust him in front of goal. Peter came on and MGP moved up front where he was much busier and more impressive.

Despite this, City were the first to score. BWP forced a good save from Drench, but he flapped at the resultant corner and their centreback (whom I believe was called Delaney) volleyed in from about 10 yards.

To go into the break would have been a tad unfair but Rovers struck back right at the end of the first half. Donnelly broke down the right and squared the ball. MGP showed a touch of class by dummying the ball through his own legs which drew the defender in, and Peter cracked the ball in, nutmegging Weaver along the way.

Rovers came out on fire and three goals in fairly quick succession saw off Citeh. First a cross from the left (I believe from Peter) was headed in by Harkins. Then a swift counter attack brought a second for Peter when Weaver failed to deal with a shot which he should have saved comfortably. Finally, a through ball exploited the pace of Johnson who finished with aplomb and caused the City captain to have somewhat of a hissy fit.

From then on it was simply a case of closing the match out. Jemal showed a few neat touches to leave City defenders on their respective arses. A few Rovers got kicks for their trubbles as a frustrated City started niggling.

A 427-strong crowd saw a match that ended a comfortable 4-1 win.

match report from bellamy 11

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.