Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa 1 - 0 Rovers

Flopsy

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tugs

He knows, he is just being disingenuous (my word of the week)

Which for Radaghast- means he knows exactly what I'm talking about, but pretends he doesn't!!

Trademark paranoia, Janice.

I'll make sure to avoid asking questions in the future.

You may note that a number of posts are being deleted. This is not about censorship, it's about sticking to site posting guidelines.

The topic is about the Villa game and not about Newcastle.

See site guidelines.

11. Keep posts relevant to the thread

Please keep all posts relevant to the original thread, this will be enforced far less in the non-football thread, but is still desirable.

12. Have a Point

Please ensure you have a point to make, posting drivel will not be tolerated.

cheers Alan

Sounded like we did OK in the first half, but went to sleep the second.

Was really annoyed how many times the commentator on radio lancs said ' Friedel stays at home'. Brad needs to learn to come out more.

me again!

on a serious note, with one or two right signings you will be a better team than villa, and i know! i have seen all of rovers home games this season and take a professional intrest in them, i dont think savage is the answer and please sell dickov, spoke to a colleague today who said he was ineffective.

...please dont delete me i will behave.....

I said it before and I say it again....Dickov is overrated and Stead and Gally are to unmature for premiership.

Dickov may have scored against Bolton but thats against a lowly side. He miss to much chances in the games. Cole would have put them away. Look he scored 2 goals for Fulham today.

Sorry but we must get into the market this week and buy new strikers. We'll get £1m from the Beattie sale.

Savage is not a necessary to buy, he was poor today against Newcastle. We got Mokoena as a great midfelder besides Ferguson and give Morten Pedersen a chance... He can't be so bad as Reid was today??

Come on Hughes, do some wise things.

Cole has missed a lot for Fulham this year (and for us last). Dickov has one less than him at this point. The problem isn't Dickov, it's the lack of a good consistent partner for him.

still anti-Cole, he's doing fairly well in a struggling side, he's played less games then Dickov and doesn't take pens, so thats not too bad, "I think everyone should stop comparing the two from now on, and judge at the end of the season.

having said that Dickov's doing very well my his standards, better then I thought, so really we need to be looking else where for GOALS, expecting Dickov to do all the work is what I think is getting to some fans down, if we had two other strikers producing half as well he would get much stick and A LOT less pressure, but expecting Dickov to do this by himself, probably is going to make things very close.

I wouldn't mind adding another striker at this point

Edited by chris

I said it before and I say it again....Dickov is overrated and Stead and Gally are to unmature for premiership.

Dickov may have scored against Bolton but thats against a lowly side. He miss to much chances in the games. Cole would have put them away. Look he scored 2 goals for Fulham today.

Sorry but we must get into the market this week and buy new strikers. We'll get £1m from the Beattie sale.

Savage is not a necessary to buy, he was poor today against Newcastle. We got Mokoena as a great midfelder besides Ferguson and give Morten Pedersen a chance... He can't be so bad as Reid was today??

Cole has missed a lot for Fulham this year (and for us last). Dickov has one less than him at this point. The problem isn't Dickov, it's the lack of a good consistent partner for him.

still anti-Cole, he's doing fairly well in a struggling side, he's played less games then Dickov and doesn't take pens, so thats not too bad, "I think everyone should stop comparing the two from now on, and judge at the end of the season.

having said that Dickov's doing very well my his standards, better then I thought, so really we need to be looking else where for GOALS, expecting Dickov to do all the work is what I think is getting to some fans down, if we had two other strikers producing half as well he would get much stick and A LOT less pressure, but expecting Dickov to do this by himself, probably is going to make things very close.

Does anyone know when Jansen is due back, he was only supposed to be out a couple of weeks?

Really agree with this point. I think you've given Dickov a lot of stick but you are honest to accept he has done better than you thought. Comparing him to Cole every week is no help to anyone as you say. The fact is Dickov on his own isn't good enough and when he's poor which he will be then we don't have a lot else at present. We really need someone as well as him not instead.

ok fair points so far, however on our money who would you buy who are willing and able to join us. forwards are easy to name, but hard to buy sad.gif

A temp solution that would reap dividends is Hartson although obviously he is no longer the type of striker to interest top Prem clubs. No pun intended but without Bothroyd and no disrespect at all to Dickov but we are too lightweight up front. The ball is moved forward but comes straight back. Hartson would hold the ball up, dominate centre halves to create space for the other strikers and bring a proper strikers instinct with him. Something sadly lacking in all others but Dickov. Our need up front is far greater than our need for adding another midfielder ie Robbie Savage........ that is unless Fergy is away this month.

City are borassic and Macken might be available although he is more of a Dickov and not a 'proper' centre forward.

Yep, we're absolutely desperate ... but it's the hardest position to fill, especially on our budget.

I don't mind Dickov, he runs all day, but it's clear his finishing isn't the best, I think that's clear to everyone.

rover.gif dean only 17 goals this season ashton tinykit.gif

just got back from the game

my thoughts

1) We were crap

2) Villa were only maginally better

3) We looked knackered

4) Dickov not at fault

5)oh dear

I'd agree with all that.

Point 3 stands out than the others. We did look a tired team compared to Villa, who had pace up front and on the flank with Solano.

We hardly played well for long spells of the game, apart from a brief spell in the first half when Nissa was unlucky and for a short period in the second half.

Villa dominated the second half and created a lot more than we did.

Solano should have been marked, especially from a corner which is the most dissapointing thing.

Hughes blames loss on tiredness

Dickov worked his socks off but needs in my opinion a better striker to play alongside with. I'm not slagging off Stead here, but in my opinion at the moment Stead isn't doing it.

What is worrying me is the size of the squad. The team did look tired and another home game can't be good for some. I'm expecting a few injuries in the next few weeks and it's up to Hughes now to strenghten our squad which will decide our season in the next month.

I'd agree with all that.

Point 3 stands out than the others. We did look a tired team compared to Villa, who had pace up front and on the flank with Solano.

We hardly played well for long spells of the game, apart from a brief spell in the first half when Nissa was unlucky and for a short period in the second half.

Villa dominated the second half and created a lot more than we did.

Thats a bit unfair. The weather and wind took a turn for the worse at ht and Rovers played the entire second half kicking into the teeth of a gale. Not easy at the best of times and still only Emertons schoolboy aberration prevented us from getting a derved point. Not sure who won the toss but if we had kicked the other way from the start we may well have had all 3 points.

Disappointing to lose so late yesterday but a win against Charlton will make up for it.

My main worry when Souness left was that we were so bad that the transfer window would come too late for us. Now we have a bit of optimism for the new year!

I'm still encouraged by the fact that we have played so badly but still defended well and really should have taken a point from the game, earlier in the season we would have been on the wrong end of a thrashing.

I'm still really looking forward to the coming weeks, especially after we have a few more players in the squad.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.