BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers Bounce Back

Alan75

After the disappointment of Saturday’s defeat at Villa Park, Rovers bounced back with 1 –0 home win today against Charlton, thanks to a text book header from Australian International Bret Emerton.

Rovers who had dominated the first half eventually got the winning goal five minutes before the break when Ferguson cut the ball back to Thompson, whose pin point cross found Emerton free at the far post and the Australian made no mistake in thundered his header back across the goalmouth into the back of the Charlton net.

After the game Rovers manager Mark Hughes praised the teams performance over the festive period and stated that today’s result was thoroughly deserved.

Speaking to BBC Radio Lancashire he stated.

"I'm delighted and I thought we really deserved the victory today,"

"We were pleased to be ahead at half-time but I thought we were progressive in the second half as well - we didn't sit back on the lead."

Hughes went on to praise reserved praise Jon Stead, stating.

"The only disappointment of the day is that for all his hard work he didn't get the reward with a goal,"

"It's been a difficult period for him but if he keeps working like that, I've no doubt he will turn his season around."

Rovers: Friedel, Matteo, Todd, Johansson, Neill, Emerton, Flitcroft, Ferguson, Thompson (Reid 88), Dickov, Stead (Gallagher 80).

Subs Not Used: Pedersen, Enckelman, McEveley.

Booked: Stead, Matteo.

Goals: Emerton 41.

Charlton: Kiely, Hreidarsson (Hughes 71), Fortune, El Karkouri, Young, Kishishev (Euell 60), Holland, Murphy, Rommedahl, Johansson, Thomas (Konchesky 60).

Subs Not Used: Stuart, Andersen.

Booked: Rommedahl, Hreidarsson, Young.

Ref: A Wiley

Att: 19,819.

Link to Match Report

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.