SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who Allowed The F.A. Cup To Die

den

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all his professed love of Wimbledon, he had no qualms about doing a runner with 30 million quid in his pocket, letting a bunch of Norwegians take it to Milton Keynes.

I think your way out there. He might have done a runner with 30 million but as for Norwegians taking the club to Milton Keynes, I was under the impression it was Pete Winkleman (now chairman) who was part of 'Inter MK' that took them to Milton Keynes (and subsequently changed the name to coincide with their new home).

Edited by Ben-2000

Just to address some of the points that our Cardiff fan Pugger made:

I wasn't having a pop at all Cardiff supporters by any means, but rightly or wrongly, it's fair to say that Cardiff City have made the headlines in recent years for various incidents.

The game on the pitch was not bad tempered.

From my own memory of watching the highlights of this game, it seemed to me that things were a bit bad tempered.

In addition to Smith's sending off and O'Leary's shouting and yelling on the touchline, the ref (who was struck by a flying bottle) dished out five yellow cards during the match. I believe that Rio Ferdinand was taken off injured for Leeds and there was some pretty strong tackling going on by both sets of players.

If it wasn't bad-tempered on the field, then things did get quite heated off the pitch.

It was reported in Tris's favourite paper the Guardian that:

" A female Leeds supporter received head injuries as a result of an incident during the game. Missiles were thrown by both sets of supporters in the exchange and objects were hurled on to the pitch. Cardiff supporters threw bottles at several Leeds players and at the referee"

The report went on to say:

"Riot police had to use batons and dogs to force back hundreds of Cardiff supporters who invaded the pitch and gathered in front of the away section to taunt the Leeds fans after their giant-killing."

A link to that Guardian article is below:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Repor...,628731,00.html

as for comments as "violent street battles", well lets just say as a season ticket holder since 83 I haven't seen such for years.

There's news of rioting and street battles involving Cardiff and Millwall supporters at the link below:

http://members.lycos.nl/nsh/millwallhoolcardiff3.html

In 2003, there were violent street clashes between Cardiff City and Sheffield United fans - which were described by South Yorkshire Police as "the worst violence we've seen in many years."

The report said that: "trouble flared between fans both before and after the match."

A link to this piece is below:

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/02...-name_page.html

Finally, in another Guardian piece, it reported:

"There is a long history of problems between Cardiff fans and those from Stoke and Birmingham, and some of the most serious incidents of football hooliganism to have taken place over the past few years have involved fans from these clubs."

"Cardiff and Stoke City have the highest number of fans who are subject to football banning orders."

Link below:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/hooligans/articl...,713644,00.html

Sorry if I'm dwelling on Cardiff's "hooligan problem" a bit too much - but I just wanted to provide a few links to address the points that Pugger made.

Going back to the actual game tomorrow - Brett Emerton, if selected, will be getting his first taste of FA Cup action tomorrow.

(He didn't play in last season's debacle against Birmingham.)

The Aussie says: "I grew up watching the FA Cup as a young boy. The cup means a lot to the players, we want to go as far as we can in these kind of competitions. We will be taking tomorrow's game very seriously."

I'm looking forward to this game now. We're on the 8.33 from Piccadilly with others so it should be a good jhourney down.

As for the game I think we're gonna put out a strong squad and should beat Cardiff. I feel more excited about this FA Cup Game than I've felt about the FA Cup for a while.

I'll go for 2-0 to Rovers. Dickov pen and new boy Mokena.

I think we'll scrape through, either 1-0 or 2-1.

I think Hughes should use this game to test one or two players but keep the core of the team the same. Personally I'd go like this:

Friedel

Neill Todd Mokoena McEveley

Thompson Ferguson Flitcroft Pedersen

Stead Gallagher

Edited by LeChuck

MGP plays instead of Emerton who is sick.....no, ill wink.gif No other changes to the team that started against Charlton. Mokoena and Johnson on the bench.

Good, looks like we are going for it. smile.gif Really want to win this; we all need a good cup run.

The great MGP test begins. It might not be an exaggeration to say that his Blackburn career hangs on this.

Great news. I wonder if the appearance fee applies to league matches only, hence, MGP playing last against Bournemouth and now in the FA cup against Cardiff??? wink.gif Yes, I can feel the cyber tomatoes hitting me as you read this.

But I don't understand the formation - there seems to be 5 defenders and 1 striker.

Edit: Just checked the official site and it's Stead partnering Dickov up front, not Amoruso as Skysports have got...

Edited by rover6

Edit: Just checked the official site and it's Stead partnering Dickov up front, not Amoruso as Skysports have got...

Match live shows amo in aswell? Maybe stead got injured in the warm up os something! Unless sky get there info from match live or visa versa?

edit: On rovers world they have said it is stead!

Edited by modes98

the cardiff players have just managed to get matteo booked and he misses the next match vs portsmouth! The ref then failed to produce a booking or warning to any cardiff players! at least macca or spector might get a go (if he is loaned in time) ohmy.gif

2 defenders now booked and only mokoena on the bench!

Edited by modes98

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.