BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Todd

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if someone could just make sure that no-one can be tempted by the thought of Amoruso in the team (kidnap him or something)

Do you like anything or anybody connected with Rangers ?

Even that well-known left-footer, Maurice Johnston ?

the way he is playing this season no wonder he was so pee'd off with being dropped for Amo last season, he's been a rock.

Its lucky Souness went when he did, losing Cole a big blow but losing Todd at the moment, not worth thinking about!

I totally agree.Souness seemed to have too many personality clashes.especially for a guy who hasnt got one lol

Out of order for singling Andy Todd out for our defensive performances - the whole team should be praised for having applied themselves from the front boys right across the midfield in closing down the opposition and protecting Brad Friedels goal. Lucas Neill has looked a far better player in recent weeks to me.

It made me laugh when Todd (second half) made a mistake against Charlton and then had to work hard to retrieve the ball back, when he did, the crowd chanted his name - HERO or what!

Todd to me hasnt played any better then any other Rover during our good spell but... he has made a contribution but lets not go over the top. He might not be able to retrieve his next mistake.

Well played for starting this thread as i think he deserves a good deal of credit. Whilst of course knowing that he was playing pretty well for the last month, it was only when i concentrated more on his performance during the games at villa and nolob, 2 games in 4 days that i realised how well he is playing. Against notob, superb in the air and solid on the ground and agianst villa he was sensing danger before it happened. He also out musled the villa attack well. Give em a nu contract Hughes! tinykit.gif

I've always thought Barry Ferguson was overrated, that's all. I admit that at £2 to 3 million he's have been a decent buy, but £7 million was and is so way over the top it's ridiculous. And the problem is, people then start to wish/hope/believe he IS a £7m player, which he patently isn't. He's inferior to Sherwood (who I didn't rate at the time- I was wrong) by quite a large amount, I don't even think he's as good as the likes of Billy McKinlay or super Atko in midfield. He's a mid-level midfielder who hasn't the vision, creativity or defensive qualities to be great.#

Just my opinion

i think Jan made some points that are true, we do all wish him to be a 7 million pound player, even when sometimes he's average.

And McKinlay was as good a Ferguson, but then I though McKinlay was class 97/98 when we came 6th, if he had cost 7 million rather then 1.75 i'm sure he would have got more praise, shame about his injuries after that.

not sure about Atko though

I'm still waiting to be impressed with Fergie, he has good technique and he can distribute the ball very well so I'm not saying he's a bad player. But most teams in the premiership have a player like that:

Is Ferguson unarguably better than Murphy, Carrick, Graveson, Jenas, Holland, Okocha, Amdy Faye, Boateng or others? No he isn't.

When Souness bought him it was to take us to the next level, to do that he needs to impose himself on games in the way Viera, Gerrard or Keane do. So far, in the games I have seen him in (admittedly only 7 or 8 in the flesh) he hasn't done that once.

So on that basis, if someone offers £6/7m for him we should snap their arm off! The players listed above mostly cost half that and we could spend the rest on a striker.

..and does anybody have an opinion about Andy Todd?

DM- Fergie is as at least as good as Carrick (£6m for a much less established player who was a big underperforming risk when signed);

when Fergie as at his best he is not as influential but more effective than Murphy at his best who incidentally was in the reserves and going out of contract when signed by Charlton;

Gravesen is, on this season's display, one of the four or five best midfielders in the world (which is why Real want to replace Beckham with him);

I believe Jenas was £6m but is a much poorer all round midfielder than Fergie;

Holland going out of contract when signed for £1m and as much an Irish one shot World Cup wonder as Garry Breen- if you watched Rovers v Charlton then you will know how much better Fergie is;

Okocha great showman, runs midfield if the other side give him permission, good for one game in four, signed out of contract;

Amdy Faye promising, not as cultured as Fergie;

Boateng Boro paid a pretty big fee for him, playing well in a strong set up, doesn't have to boss the park like Rovers need Fergie to;

others? who? (he cost less than Vierra, Ljungberg, Keane, and Chelsea's collection) but normally when part of a midfield in an eleven man side, Fergie has at least competed very effectively against the midfield superstars in the Prem- look how quiet Gravesen was against us.

Edited by philipl

I don't think he was that biased. He's back it up with some evidence that is all factual. Obviously we get to see Ferguson week-in-week-out so of course we think more of him than others and are likely to see the best he can be. However, the respect for Ferguson thoughout the leagues and within our management and players shows how good he really is. I'm sure over the next two seasons he will establish himself amongst the best midfielders in the premiership

when Blackburn signed Ferguson Jim said he was a GTI Billy McKinlay, and I think he's been pretty much right except I think that McKinlay was a better consistently from 96-98, hopefully Fergy will show himself over the next few years, he a good player but has not really proved himself in England yet, Scotland is a poorer league, its hard to judge a player, look at Amo, really struggled.

Edited by chris

Andy Todd cost £750K wink.gif

I think Viera cost more than £5m, Keane definitely more than £3m (and that was nearly ten years ago), not sure about Ljungberg.

You were talking about Fergie though weren't you? And he cost £7.5m.

Taken from Soccerbase:

Ljungberg cost £3m

Vieira cost £3.5m

Keane cost £3.75m (admittedly in July 1993)

So to say that he cost less than those three players is very misleading.

Edited by bellamy11

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.