BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nelsen Has Signed

neophox

27 year old New Zeeland captain Ryan Nelson who currently plays for DC United in the MSL is set to sign for rovers afte impressing in trials at the club.

also:

Mokoena close to Blackburn move

Tue, 14 Dec 2004

Bafana Bafana defender Aaron Mokoena's proposed move to English Premiership side Blackburn Rovers looks set to go ahead.

The South African national team captain had trials with Rovers last week and it has been reported that the club were impressed with him and are keen to sign the player.

The two clubs are currently in advanced talks over a £600 000 deal for the classy central defender.

Mokoena is currently playing in Belgium for Racing Genk, after having moved from another Belgium club, Germinal Beerschot.

The 24-year old has also been on the books of Jomo Cosmos, Bayer Leverkusen and Ajax Amsterdam.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That must mean we won't be going for Gabbidon then, was hoping to get him in January.

Maybe not. We need 2 new centre-backs asap and I doubt the club expects both Nelsen and Mokoena to adapt immediately to the style of English football. Mind you, I doubt the wage bill will cope with Gabbidon as well unless we offload at least 2 of our existing centre-backs (Amoruso is probably 1st in line as presumably the biggest earner) in Jan.

It worries me that it appears we're signing two centre-backs who have no Premiership experience at all. We need players who can come in and make an immediate impact, not ones who'll take half a season to get up to speed.

Still, I said the same thing about Stead last year so what do I know. wink.gif

But will the drummer get the beat?

Glad we are strengthening in defence first and we are signing players who are not too old; on silly wages or sky high transfer fees

Also hopefully the paperwork will be done early so they will be playing during January

The interesting questions are who are the players Sparky is going to splash the transfer fund on? The noises are pointing towards the Welsh blond despite earlier doubts. I suspect we will see a new striker too.

I am sticking with the guess that 6 players will go-

And that the transfer spend will top £100 Millions in January in the Prem

We can only hope Hughes is working as hard to get rid of some dross at the same time. I think a few players such as Gray, Gresko, De Pedro, Amoruso may well have been told to find new clubs. Tugay and Short will go in the summer. Not at all disappointed that we are signing 2 defenders.

It worries me that it appears we're signing two centre-backs who have no Premiership experience at all. We need players who can come in and make an immediate impact, not ones who'll take half a season to get up to speed.

Still, I said the same thing about Stead last year so what do I know. wink.gif

Too expensive. Hopefully these guys will do a Rahdi Jaidi - come in from obscurity and do well. (Not score stupid own goals wink.gif )

True- unless you have a lot of cash you are not going to get experienced Premier League defenders, especially in January. Even the likes of Dawson (Notts Forest) are out of our price range.

Edited by John

Nissa - Nelson/Mokoena - Todd - Neill

That's how I would like to see it

What you mean you would like to Nissa at right back and Neill at left back?

Neill - Nelson/Mokoena - Todd - Nissa

I was looking from behind (Freidel's view) rolleyes.gif

Edited by EwoodGlory

Nissa - Nelson/Mokoena - Todd - Neill

That's how I would like to see it

What you mean you would like to Nissa at right back and Neill at left back?

Neill - Nelson/Mokoena - Todd - Nissa

I was looking from behind (Freidel's view) rolleyes.gif

That still doesn't make sense!

I'd like to see both Nelson and Mokoena come in to do a job. I'd like to see us try and offload Amoruso if we could and hopefully Hughes has something up his sleeve to give us that spark (no pun intended) we need in the final third.

Whose judgement do you trust more - Hughes or Souness?

How does it not make sense?

Todd is playing well at the moment so I for one wouldn't drop him, It could be a mistake to play 2 new players at the heart of the defence while they are adjusting to life in the Premiership. So I would have Todd partnering one of the new lad's that come in, whichever one it might be

I definately trust Hughes judgement over Souness, Todd was brought back into the team by Hughes after Souness had a falling out with him before he left

I do agree with you however about getting rid of Amoruso, could do with him being off the wage bill

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.