BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nelsen Has Signed

neophox

Heck the press wires have gone mad with the news that Nelsen has joined Rovers.

Expect a rush of new kiwi and DC fans as members of the site.

Anyone remember any other Kiwi's who have played in the Premier or old 1st Div.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heck the press wires have gone mad with the news that Nelsen has joined Rovers.

Expect a rush of new kiwi and DC fans as members of the site.

Anyone remember any other Kiwi's who have played in the Premier or old 1st Div.

I remember a fruit winning goal of the season at Anfield once.

It seems from the information I have is that both nelsen and mokoena can play at either centre back or midfield in the holding position. Also i agree with philly rover that nelsen seems more ready for striaght away prem football, when was the last time nelsen played?

only because mokoena hasnt played for about 3 weeks due to the winter break in belgium.

I'm very happy with these signings. Hughes has immediately strenghtened our problem area by buying two promising players, who although unproven in the premiership are captains of their countries, which gives me a bit of confidence in them. We're definitely improving, now let's look at the other problem areas.

Two international captains for £600k total. Sure, not the biggest national teams but still. Looks like the D.C fans have nothing but praise for Nelsen, and surely that's always a good sign?

Ryan Nelsen came on a free didn't he. This may have been discussed elsewhere but how come we got him on a free? Was he out of contract?

Two international captains for £600k total. Sure, not the biggest national teams but still. Looks like the D.C fans have nothing but praise for Nelsen, and surely that's always a good sign?

Ryan Nelsen came on a free didn't he. This may have been discussed elsewhere but how come we got him on a free? Was he out of contract?

Yeah he did. Check the date though, the price mentioned in the press for Mokoena at the time was £600k.

And I believe Nelsen was indeed out of contract.

Yes he was. The way that MLS works is that all the teams are 'owned' by Major League Soccer, so the contract is with the league, not the team. The wages are negotiated with the teams, but the contract is with the league. Ryan knew that he wanted to play in Europe and, I assume, that it would be more likely if there were no transfer fee involved, so his being out of contract wasn't the league's choice, nor was it DC United's. Nellie didn't renegotiate.

In fact, when the league expanded by two new teams a few months ago there was a dispersal draft. Teams had to leave three of their players unprotected for drafting by the new teams. Even though DC United knew that Ryan would likely get a contract in Europe, they protected him...in hopes that it wouldn't happen.

For a sense of how beloved he is by DC United fans, check out the Nelsen signs with Blackburn thread on BigSoccer. The several 'crap!' expressions you'll see amongst the posts aren't about Blackburn, they are about the shattered hope that Ryan would return. And if you look closely, you'll see a number of well wishers are fans of DC's rivals...a lot of respect for Nellie throughout the league.

The DC United side of me says we have lost a great player. The Rovers side says we have gained one. Now I have to worry about DC United's defense. Same worry, just a shift of venue.

Edited by seahawkdad

I wonder with all the Americans in the squad, will we be seeing a summer tour this coming July to the USA for Rovers? thumbs-up.gif

Edit- I realise that Nelsen is a Kiwi, but he did play his footy for an American based squadron biggrin.gif

Edited by BMan

Blackburn are going to be heavily watched from over here. There is a forum on BigSoccer, Yanks Abroad that tracks all the action of Americans playing in Europe. With four Yanks on the team (although in one sense it's stretching the definition for two of them) there'll be a lot of interest. And then we'll have even more interest from the DC United crowd because of Nellie. I don't anticipate a lot of new posters here, through, because most of us (including me, sadly) don't have the required knowledge of English football that comes with living in the midst of it.

I can't wait for the inevitable comments about knowledge of English footy not being a requirement for posting on the messageboard biggrin.gif

Can't say i know any New Zealanders who play in the premiership, anyone ??

Never played in the Premiership, but Chris Killen at Oldham is the only Kiwi I can think of currently playing in the English Leagues. He has cored quite a few goals this season.

I wonder with all the Americans in the squad, will we be seeing a summer tour this coming July to the USA for Rovers? thumbs-up.gif

Edit- I realise that Nelsen is a Kiwi, but he did play his footy for an American based squadron biggrin.gif

what about us aussies ohmy.gif

when are we going to be treated with a visit, im sure it would be a great idea to have a premier league club out here in the english summer because that is just before the new australian league is about to start.

thumbs-up.gif

I wonder with all the Americans in the squad, will we be seeing a summer tour this coming July to the USA for Rovers?  thumbs-up.gif

Edit- I realise that Nelsen is a Kiwi, but he did play his footy for an American based squadron    biggrin.gif

what about us aussies ohmy.gif

when are we going to be treated with a visit, im sure it would be a great idea to have a premier league club out here in the english summer because that is just before the new australian league is about to start.

thumbs-up.gif

Wouldn't be a problem with me emerton

I live in Canada so depending on if they go to the USA, how far away would they be for me to make plans. If they were in LA or Dallas or Seattle, its out of the question.

But this company over here are gonna make an annual event of bringing over European and South American squads.

I think when Rovers played DC United a few years back, it wasn't part of that promotional tour I am speaking of.

I wonder with all the Americans in the squad, will we be seeing a summer tour this coming July to the USA for Rovers?  thumbs-up.gif

What? Again? Bring absolute joy to my summer?

That's Nellie in the first row, far right...

user posted image

I wonder how many players are left in the team from that picture?

What? Again? Bring absolute joy to my summer?

That's Nellie in the first row, far right...

user posted image

I was there, I was there! Great time had by all! thumbs-up.gif

Just a small personal rant (and not entirely football related, but relavent to this thread)......

From the story in the LET last night and from this in The Press, it appears that Nelsen is playing for Rovers while on a working holiday visa. He is entitled to a working holiday visa because of the reciprocal agreement the UK has with NZ.

Now admitedly the rules are due to change on 1st July 2005, but currently as a UK citizen if I was on a working holiday in NZ I would not be able to take up permanent employment on this visa type (18 month contract sounds fairly permanent). There are also restrictions on how long you can work for the same employer. Even when the rules change, a UK citizen will be able to stay in NZ for upto 2 years, but will only be able to work for a maximum of 12 months during that time.

I understand that the visa is "broadly reciprocal", but it seems, as usual, the UK is a lot more lenient towards people entering this country.

Rant over! (unless anyone knows anyway round the whole NZ immigration thing, or for that matter, knows if Nelsen is married!! He ain't a looker, but I'm desperate to get back there!! wink.gif )

... (unless anyone knows anyway round the whole NZ immigration thing, or for that matter, knows if Nelsen is married!! He ain't a looker, but I'm desperate to get back there!! wink.gif )

Amazing...I searched Google for information about whether he's married...nothing. Guess you'll just have to ask him laugh.gif

If you're interested in how his move to Blackburn looked from his former team's point of view, you can go here. No mention of marital status, but there is another picture...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.