BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cardiff Replay Ticket Prices - ?24 !

Will you be attending and is the price fair enough  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be attending and is the price fair enough

• I will be attending and I think the price is fair enough
    • I will be attending but think the price is too high
    • I will not be attending, but think the price is fair enough
    • I will not be attending, because the price is too high
    • I will not be attending, not because of the price, but I think it's too high anyway.
    • Lee Grooby pays for my ticket anyway.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested if anyone can find anything from the FA about the pricing for matches and how it is decided.

Already done!

Its hidden in the competition rules, basically the two clubs agree on the price.

For a third round tie the gate receipts are divided 45% to each club and 10% to the pool.

For a third round reply the figures are 42.5% per club, 10% to the FA and 5% to the pool.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/TheFACup/New...02/08/20766.htm

Its in there if anyone is as sad as I am.

How can the Rovers win? You dont turn up when the prices are much lower eg Bournemouth,Team B/C matches, and you also want the Rovers to do well in the Cup for a change.

Everton would never have a thread like this on their site..they would go out of devotion.And then we have members with names like "Roversismylife" saying they are not going to go.Am I missing the irony.

Cup prices are not fixed by the Home Club.

Excuse me, have I missed something. Is my arithmatic wrong.

Rovers are expecting none season ticket holders to pay more for a mid week cup replay against Cardiff (no offence ment to Cardiff) than a premiership game.

Matchday Prices

Very good point Alan. Every PL game is available at no more than £20 so £24 to watch Cardiff City is plainly ridiculous.

I really find myself in two minds about attending this match. I have never missed a game at Ewood that I could attend. I feel the club have got the pricing completely wrong and do object to this. It is also the worst possible month of the year to find the extra cash for a game. The kids are already asking if we are going and I've just realised we only have one junior now, so it's going to be £67 minimum plus another £24 if Mrs Paul wants to come.

I've never imagined staying away from Ewood in protest, it's like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I object strongly to the prices and feel guilty for considering not going as both a protest and on financial grounds.

What was the price of seat yesterday? I note Cardiff charge £21-27 for a Cat A game - which includes Leeds Utd and Plymouth Argyle!! ohmy.gif

How can the Rovers win? You dont turn up when the prices are much lower eg Bournemouth,Team B/C matches, and you also want the Rovers to do well in the Cup for a change.

Everton would never have a thread like this on their site..they would go out of devotion.And then we have members with names like "Roversismylife" saying they are not going to go.Am I missing the irony.

Sorry yes we do turn up against Bournemouth - 7226 in fact. I paid out approximatley £35 for that game. For Cardiff the same number of tickets (5) is going to cost me £91. If we are comparing the matches then we have to compare the prices. I can't see the justification, in terms of potential cup success the Bournemouth game was every bit as important as the Cardiff match will be.

The lowest possible price would have been £6 under FA rules:

FA Cup Rules

Immediately after the draw is known, the two Clubs concerned must mutually agree the prices of admission subject to the following conditions:

(i)      The minimum admission (except to children and senior citizens) to matches shall be:

In the Extra-Preliminary, Preliminary and First Round Qualifying: £3.00

In the Second and Third Rounds Qualifying: £4.00

In the Fourth Round Qualifying: £5.00

In the Competition Proper: £6.00

(ii)      The price of admission for children and senior citizens must be mutually agreed by both Clubs concerned.

(iii)    A higher admission charge may be mutually agreed between the Clubs concerned.

As can be seen, no provision for young adult tickets are allowed or even a guaranteed discount for season ticket holders. As Rovers are fully aware of the likely (non-)attendance figures, I really don't believe for a second that John Williams came up with this pricing structure as his opening gambit.

I'd be interested if anyone can find anything from the FA about the pricing for matches and how it is decided.

Already done!

Its hidden in the competition rules, basically the two clubs agree on the price.

For a third round tie the gate receipts are divided 45% to each club and 10% to the pool.

For a third round reply the figures are 42.5% per club, 10% to the FA and 5% to the pool.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/TheFACup/New...02/08/20766.htm

Its in there if anyone is as sad as I am.

Thank you.

I had a feeling the price was set by both clubs. I am sure that is the excuse we will get, but I still can't see how they have come to that decision.

Good point Paul about PL prices. Why should the club expect anyone pay more to see Cardiff City than a PL club?!

(I can only imagine what things would be like if we were in the same situation, but with Souness saying that we were only concentrating on the league!!)

Paul

I was shocked by the attitude of Radio Rovers yesterday when it was suggested we might rest several players as the PL is more important. Well for me the FA Cup is just as important.

If that is true then surely you should be prepared to pay the same for the games? People wonder why the magic is gone out of the Fa Cup. It isn't solely the fault of Rupert Murdoch or Manchester Utd, the fans value an FA Cup game, unless it's the final, less than a league game. I thought we turned up to watch Rovers not the opposition?

Of course 24 pounds for any football game is ridiculous but that's another matter.

I think some of the comments are a bit over the top. Paying £19 to see a premiership club is not expensive compared to watching football right through the divisions. My Preston, City, Bristol City, Bury and Chester supporting friends are amazed at how cheap it is to get into EP.

Edited by Paul McGarry

This has not got anything to do with 'devotion'. At the end of the day, we all love our clubs as much as each other. Some days, football and Rovers are all I talk about whilst at work and in the pub. Some supporters are willing to pay over the odds because they have tinted spectacles and manage to somehow justify in their minds that the prices are fair. You can look at it in the view that the prices may be high, and obviously more money taken on the gates means ultimately more money to make the team better.

Clubs need to think about it though. It just takes a few clubs to have the balls to risk drastically dropping ticket prices in the hope that higher attendances will ensure they break even anyway.

If we get a gate of around 7,000 (which is looking increasingly likely) in the replay with tickets priced at an average of £24, the club will take £168k. Now if the club thought about this one they would realise that an announcement that the ticket prices would be drastically reduced would really encourage bums on seats.

It they set prices of £10, and the crowd was boosted by 10k to 17k, the club would actually come out with £170k! Now ten thousand extra sales of overpriced programmes, overpriced beer, overpriced hotdogs and overpriced snickers bars also would generate a few more quid.

So why don't they do it? What is stopping them? Some say that Cardiff would have to agree, but surely to God they WOULD agree knowing they would actually make more money.

The board (or whoever decide these pathetic prices) needs to open it's eyes and question whether they are offering value for money to their customers. It's one thing supporting an underperforming team, but being ripped off and having the financial p!ss taken out of your faithful support is another.

Edited by ihateburnley

...the fans value an FA Cup game, unless it's the final, less than a league game. I thought we turned up to watch Rovers not the opposition?

You have to remember that only 800 Rovers fans decided they wanted to pay £18 and travel to Cardiff. This is a replay of that match. I know the travelling is an issue, but if only 800 fans went in the first place I just can't see how you can charge anymore than that for the replay.

If that is true then surely you should be prepared to pay the same for the games?

For some fans the FA Cup is more important, at least AS important as the league. However if the team doesn't treat it as importantly, then why should fans be expected to pay the same as for league games?

Paul
I was shocked by the attitude of Radio Rovers yesterday when it was suggested we might rest several players as the PL is more important. Well for me the FA Cup is just as important.

If that is true then surely you should be prepared to pay the same for the games? People wonder why the magic is gone out of the Fa Cup. It isn't solely the fault of Rupert Murdoch or Manchester Utd, the fans value an FA Cup game, unless it's the final, less than a league game. I thought we turned up to watch Rovers not the opposition?

Of course 24 pounds for any football game is ridiculous but that's another matter.

It is true I was shocked, however that doesn't relate to ticket prices Rich. Against Bournemouth we were asked to pay, I think, £10 and £5 respectively for adult and junior. The opposition is comparable and the competition, in terms of Rovers chance of success, pretty much equal. So my point is why should it be almost three times the price to take the same number of fans?

I'm completely taken a back by the pricing for this match. We will probably end up going but remain unhappy at the price. Football is pricing itself out of the market and this is the first time I have found myself seriously disappointed by the clubs pricing for a home match.

Didn't the club lower the prices for the Bournemouth game...how many Rovers fans bothered to turned up again!? dry.gif ........

NO WIN SITUATION.

That SG (together with the abysmal Charlton attendance) is the rub.

THE BLACKBURN FANS ARE NOT RESPONDING TO THE CLUB'S PRICE INCENTIVES.

So all the whingeing on here is just so much posturing and hot air.

The days of price incentives equalling full houses at Ewood have sadly gone. The club is making the right decision in experimenting with "full" (actually discounted) pricing for this game.

I think you will find that Everton were credited with about 6,500 fans so the price promo for the Charlton game put at most 700 extra into the Rovers' areas.

Incidentally, having watched both games, the BBE and Riverside looked to have more empty seats for Charlton than Everton.

Even taking your numbers at face value, a 90% reduction for children resulted in a 12% increase in attendance. Without knowing the adult/child mix, it is impossible to calculate but it seems highly likely the club did not benefit financially from the promotion.

Let's see what the Cardiff gate is compared with the Bournemouth gate. Unless Cardiff attracts considerably less than 5,000, then the club will have made the correct decision financially.

As already pointed out, the pricing would be jointly decided with Cardiff and as beneficiaries of 42.5% of the gate money (and in all probability sending 1,000+ fans who would pay pretty well whatever is asked), Cardiff for sure would not support reduced prices given the poor way the Blackburn public has responded to price promotions since we returned to the Prem.

The clinching discussion probably went like this:

Cardiff- looking at your recent cup attendances, we anticipate around 9,000 Rovers fans and 1,000 Cardiff fans.

Rovers- we normally drop our prices to encourage more to come; typically a reduction by more than half.

Cardiff- For us to agree to you dropping the prices by more than half can you must guarrantee that we will get the take from a gate of over 20,000. Can you do that?

Rovers- No

Cardiff- Charge a price for us both to make the most money then. After all, we do not expect to be still in the Cup so this is our last payday from the competition this season.

Edited by philipl

And then we have members with names like "Roversismylife" saying they are not going to go.Am I missing the irony.

And then we have members with names like "mhead" who can't read.

If you read my first post in this topic I never actually said that I'm not going.

I said that, I'm considering not going, because of the prices. It's an extra £20 which is quite a bit to me.

I still haven't decided if I'm not going or not. It's not just the price of a ticket, it's getting to the ground and back home, pre-match drink, pie etc.

Football's an expensive hobby, not everyone can afford it.

Fans are getting priced out and it's no wonder supporters aren't going anymore.

I had intended to go to Boro away in early February, but if I go to either one I can't afford to go to the other.

duuue to the fact that I work at the weekends and the cost of going, I do not get to go to watch much matches lives, the ones that I look forward to are the so called lesser games ie leadgew cup FA cup replays which are/should be lower.

I thought 10 pounds are all areas would be fair both to the clubs abd he fans but 24 pounds sad.gif which means that while I could have gone if it had been a tenner and justified to my family £24 I cannot justified it, so there will be one part-time live support less mad.gif

I can't be arsed checking but how many of the peope whinging on here have also contributed to the 'transfer' thread with their wish list of transfer targets? Well just where do you think it comes from guys? withstupid.gif

Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be a Rovers supporter! Small town mentalities and petty attitudes were plentiful in the 60's just before we spent 30 years down among the dead men. (and where we would without question still be but for Jack Walker!) So all you lot with 3rd Div mentalities who think that everybody owes em a living should be ashamed of yourselves..........If you want to watch Prem league quality football at Blackburn then you must pay for Premier League quality players, and they aren't cheap. So its as simple as that! Use it or lose it! The future of BRFC is in your hands....... or more accurately in your wallets! tinykit.gif

Anyway every time games have been discounted in the past by the club to try and encourage bums-on-seats the crowds have been pitiful. So what is there to lose? thumbs-up.gif

Anyway every time games have been discounted in the past by the club to try and encourage bums-on-seats the crowds have been pitiful.  So what is there to lose?      thumbs-up.gif

My bum-on-my-seat for a kick-off (I attended the Bournemouth game because I thought a tenner was reasonable)

It isn't about small town mentalities and it isn't just Rovers fans who are saying no to expensive football matches.

The fact is that football fans in general have had enough of being ripped off - I know I have. I have missed very few games at Ewood by choice but I will choose to miss this one.

Edited by mjs

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.