SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth V Rovers 0-1

Ozz

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh any good pubs round pompey, Ill be making the journey.

Hi.

Well i'm a Pomponian, i've posted a few details of how to get there, what to do etc etc in the "away" part of this board.

I've been around for a few days, trying to guage what you lot are like tongue.gif

Its mainly something i'm working on for a Pompey forum i'm a member of, i know many of you lot wont be interested in interacting with fans of other clubs, but i hope that some are.

If its pubs you're looking for, we have a great section on Pompey pubs at

Pompey Online

Of course we have a message board also, at the moment we're in the process of making a section exclusive to "awayers" complete with a welcoming message and all that jazz (it should be setup in the next day or so)

apart from the pubs in the list, theres always the Good companion, where fans always seem to mix well generating a good beer-fuelled atmosphere.

Don't think we will get anything from this game. Both Full backs suspended and Ferguson a doubt in midfield. Hopefully we might see Micky Gray get the nod at left back with Reid slotting in at right back. Thommo in the middle with Flitcroft, and Emerton and MGP on the wings.

Do we get a free rain coat? i hope so. 2-0 will the only downer the weather. is neil playing? is northern rover going?

Barney, I can't make it so you can have the front seat and let the other 2 fight it out tongue.gif

Christmas has completely done my wallet in and still 2 weeks til payday sad.gif

At least Bolton was worth it biggrin.gif

Chelsea at home might be possible. You and Andy will have to keep me up to date on if and when you're going.

This is exactly the type of gamw which i think Rovers will win. When we played them last yr at pompey, i believe they had a 100% record at that stage and hadnt conceded a home goal from open play all season. We broke both those in a excelllent 2-1 win. It was a great day out last yr, does anybody remember the stewards having to take the netting off seats, cos we took down more then they expected?

Anyway, same again for this yr a 2-1 win for the Rovers in a slightly different team owing to injurys and bans etc. I would have Reid at right back, with Emo on the right, mgp on the left and Makoneo in the centre with thommo.

If your going to Pompey for the weekend then get yourselves down to Gunwharf - a redeveloped naval dockyard with a large shopping complex including lots of continental cafes, bars and clubs.

If your aged between twenty to late thirties and enjoy the pub club culture and intend on stopping in Portsmouth for the night, then definitely book yourself into the Holiday Inn Express at Gunwharf for around £60 a night - you wont be disappointed !

Even if your of an older generation and want to see historic Portsmouth, the sea front with some splendid sea views, Nelsons Victory, The Mary Rose and many other attractions you definitely wont be disappointed.

By the way the other Holiday Inn at Southsea is only a ten minute walk away from Gunwharf and old Potsmouth.

The only disappointment in Portsmouth is, i have to say, is the shoddy Fratton Park, fingers crossed it doesnt rain.

"Portsmouth are very strong in the midfield area and they don't lose many home games to inferior opposition, so they'll take the three points. "

Quote from Mark L on BBC this week. He just doesn't like rovers does he, every week he writes us off and every week he is wrong, I remember him saying "I know I keep saying it but I still can't see were Blackburn's goals are coming from" and we went out and beat Fulham 2-0

Nice to see a return to the squad for Janny, he seemed to be promising some good scoring form before his injury. Will be an interesting team, here's the squad:

Keepers

Friedel

Enckleman

Defenders

Todd

Johansson

Amoruso

Nelsen

McEveley

Gray

Midfielders

Emerton

Pedersen

Thompson

Mokeona

Flitcroft

Tugay

Douglas

Strikers

Dickov

Stead

Gallagher

Jansen

Johnson

I'll go for:

Friedel

Right Back (no idea can Nelsen play there??)

McEveley

Todd

Johansson

Thompson

Emerton

Flitcroft

Tugay

Dickov

Stead

Subs:

Enckleman

Mokeona

Pedersen

Jansen

Gallagher

Portsmouth 1-1 Rovers

Yakubu Emerton

oh no, Amauselesb***ard isn't really in the squad is he?

We're DOOMED

I cannot see how he will get in the team, even on the bench. Surely Johansson, Todd, Mokeona and Nelson are all ahead of him, theres Short as well.... just taken for the ride.

Amoruso is a real shame, if he could cut out the clumsy mistakes he would be first class. Mokeona looks like a similarly gungho player but hopefully without the loss of concentration.

ps. What price 532? With the full backs out it could make sense.

How I would play it:

Stead      Dickov

Gallagher

Flitcroft    Mokeona

Gray                                          Emerton

Johansson  Nelson  Todd

Friedel

Im a big fan of the 442 but in the circumstances this would play to our strengths. Gallagher in particular could be a real creative catalyst behind the front two poking through passes. Flitcroft and Mokeona would be a formidible midfield pair.

Edited by joey_big_nose

The new boys and the other guys returning from injury and waiting to get in the team (mgp) will be loving this. This is their chance to stake a claim in the team. Batter the opposition tomorrow and I can see Fergy/Reid/Neil having a hard time getting back in.

8-0 rovers

Not really

2-0 rovers

Not really

1-0 Rovers

Anyone travelling down by train. If so a few of us will be on the 07:24 from Manchester Picadilly which gets to Fraton at 12:39.

I might be there, what pub yous going to near the ground ?

Does anyone know what is a night out in Portsmouth is like ? Is it worth staying there ?

Anyone travelling down by train. If so a few of us will be on the 07:24 from Manchester Picadilly which gets to Fraton at 12:39.

I might be there, what pub yous going to near the ground ?

Same - anyone?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.