SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Cardiff

waggy

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the interest for Morten on the forum has much to do with the reaction on him not playing for a side fighting on the lower part of the premiership, when he is a regular international for Norway. His success lately is well deserved. This should be good for his confidence and I'm sure he will continue to develop his play in BRFC and deliver for both Norway and BRFC. smile.gif

Following a 1-1 draw in Cardiff in which neither side looked like winning, a replay was required at Ewood Park.

Rovers have been in great form recently - our record of shutouts is looking formidable and is building the base for a few tight wins, such as the ones against Bolton, Charlton and Pompey.

Cardiff brought a drunken, rowdy crowd who were prepared to sing all game (although there weren't 3000 as promised), whereas Rovers once again had a poor crowd as a result of some scandalous ticket prices.

In honesty, the performance was not great. We started the better of the two teams, and Gallagher had a shot over before we took the lead. Neill advanced down the right, cut inside and slipped the ball to Gallagher whos neat touch rolled the ball into the path of an onrushind David Thompson who smashed an unstoppable shot past Warner.

This gave Blackburn the ascendancy and Thommo in particular was prepared to shoot from anywhere. However, as the game wore on, Cardiff came more and more into it. Kavanagh had a stinging low drive saved by Friedel before finally they grabbed an equliser. Neat interplay allowed the dangerous Jobi McAnuff to slip past a slack Neill and blast the ball past Friedel from a tightish angle.

Rovers failed to take the game back to Cardiff, but went ahead agains with a bit of a freak goal. Thommo chipped the ball into the area for the onrushing Gallagher who had beaten the offside trap. He unged for the ball but failed to make contact, but the bounce totally baffled Warner who could only watch the ball agonisingly float in at the far post.

The half closed out naturally, with Rovers never totally comfortable. The crowd got their first exclusive Savage interview as a Rovers player. He was keen to stress that the main reason he joined Blackburn was Mark Hugh.....being closer to his parents. He promised to give it his all, and I can't see him being anything other than a hit with the Blackburn faithful.

An early goal was needed to be comfortable, and superhuman goal machine MGP duly obliged by wrapping a good cross into the net in devastating fashion. His celebration in which he jumped into the crowd (not due to his momentum) should have seen him booked really, but it was great to see him take the applause. I think, at that moment, he was truely accepted, and the roar that greeted his name on the Tannoy matched this.

What should have been a routine exercise in defending a lead turned into a slog when Cardiff pulled one back. They had a side full of big lads who caused us problems with corsses and set plays. James Collins bundled home after a scramble to give them hope. I thought I saw a handball, but I'll reserve judgement until I see a replay.

The llast 25 minutes were basically all Cardiff. Friedel made some good saves, but still they came at us. McAnuff had plenty in his locker, and Neill looked second rate all night against him. Friedel also wasn't completely confident with crosses, and twice he parried into dangerous situations. Cardiff had a shout for a penalty which seemed rightly denied by the ref.

The double substitution stemmed the flow somewhat. The ineffective Tugay and a tiring Gally were replaced by Reidy and Nissa. Nissa moved to centreback, Mokoena into the centre of midfield, Reid out to the right, Emerton across to the left, MGP up front, Friedel to left back and John Curtis to sweeper, in one of the most confusing tactical switches ever.

This added a bit more steel, but Cardiff were still guilty of missing some guilt-edged chances. If the game had gone to extra time I don't think Blackburn could feel harshly done to. As it was, the result has moved us into the next round of the FA Cup and into a mouthwatering tie against Colchester. Neil Danns awaits us.

Just back from the match and yes we were lucky, they missed a couple of sitters second half, plus i thought they had a legitimate claim for a penalty as for us, Pedersen was definitely the pick of our attack although we werent that impressive in attack despite three goals.

Funniest moment had to be MGP jumping into the Blackburn end celebrating his goal then falling over the advertisment borads and promptly being jumped on by about thirty Blackburn enders whilst everbody waiteds for him to come back on.

Gally and Tugay brought absolutely nothing to the team, Lucas Neill's mind was simply not focused on the game. As for Matteo hes just Dominic Matteo... he did try harder in the second half but none of these four lads would not look out of place in the league below.

I felt more comfortable when Johansson joined Todd in the centre of defence and Mokeona went into the defensive midfield position.

Overall were through but we desperately need some quality attackers to take Rovers on further.

When MGP scored, and it was a very tidy finish, he ran into the BBE, got mobbed by a load of Chavs and kiddies and couldn`t get out!

He wriggled free about a minute later, with chewing gum and fag ends in his hair, missing his Livestrong bracelets and rubbing his neck and shoulder from the `playful paggering` the young scamps had administered to him.

Smiling and saluting the crowd, the PA announced "The third goal for Blackburn Rovers, scored by Morten Gamst Pedersen!"

The crowd went wild.

Had a good game, and I told you he`d score.

Well, we're through, but we made life difficult for ourselves and were completely outplayed in the second half.

Thompson's first goal was class - good move, cracking finish. His second, however, was one of the softest I've ever seen at Ewood. In between Cardiff scored a good goal when Neill failed to track his man into the area. Overall though 2-1 was probably fair at half time.

We scored almost immediately after the restart. A good cross found MGP ghosting in at the far post and, yet again, he finished it well. We then went to pieces. Our midfield disappeared (was Thompson on in the second half?), our back four suddenly failed to compete, and our forwards couldn't hold the ball to save their lives.

Fair play to Cardiff though, they could have gone under at 3-1 but they fought back, scored a deserved second goal, and looked far and away the better team for the rest of the half. Only some heroics from Friedel and a couple of last-ditch clearances kept us in front.

A couple of bizarre substitutions midway through the second half only served to make things worse. Our two biggest threats, Emerton and Pedersen had to change positions (Emerton moved to the left, Pedersen moved up front replacing Gally, Reid came onto the right) and our best defender, Mokoena, was shunted to midfield (Nissa came on for Tugay). In fact it seemed like the whole team had to change position. Chaos ensued, but somehow we survived to the end.

Thompson was good in the first half, non-existant in the second. Tugay was just non-existant throughout. They aren't strong enough to form a midfield pairing imo. Mokoena looked good at centre-back and poor in midfield. Neill was just crap. Emerton and Pedersen played well and looked a threat throughout. Gallagher looked out of his depth, and Dickov was poor. He could, and perhaps should, have been sent off as well and I'm not sure I'd have been sorry to see him go. If he just stuck to playing football rather than diving and bitching at the ref he might play a bit better.

Still, we're through.

a mouthwatering tie against Colchester

I'm full of saliva already.

Well not quite - if we don't play any better than we did in the second half then we've got no chance of winning this competition.

If he just stuck to playing football rather than diving and bitching at the ref he might play a bit better.

Sounds a bit like the guy who was sitting in the stands tonight with a big smug grin on his face.

Maybe the "trauma" and heartache that his parents are going through isn't quite so bad after all.... unsure.gif

user posted image

I'll agree with Scotty and Bellamy.

A very poor display in the second half. The man Of The Match should have been renamed "The Least Worst."

Still, we won. We've played far better than that and lost and I'll take that combination for the while.

But well done rovers-sounded as if Matteo and Neill were woeful

Matteo was woeful the whole game. Should not be in the starting line up for mine. The guy is easily run around, and seems to always make crappy clearing passes ( thats when he actually gets the ball ) which then puts more pressure on the team.

Lucas lifted his game defensively after the first goal, and played a very good attacking role. The cross to MGP for the goal was spot on.

Anyone have any thoughts on how Mokoena played.

Edited by Poita

What can we say? Possibly our worst performance under Hughes, or certainly since he started to truely manage and influence the team. At 3-1 this was the chance to go for the jugular and stuff a tidy but average Cardiff team with another 3 or 4. Overall very disappointed with the performance, those who opted to save their £19-24 and watch Exeter made a good decision. Without harping back to the ticket debate this performance clearly demonstarted why full price was not reasonable.

MGP - very pleased to see he continues to take his chance in the team. Thought he defended and challenged more than one might have expected from previous reports. Certainly looks much stronger than against Bournemouth.

Mokoena - just have to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being but there was nothing to suggest he is a PL player. I don't think he actaully collected/cleared a ball all night.

Dickov - more like @#/?. He's going to cost us dearly soon. All the energetic, pain in the bum rumming around is fine BUT he should have been sent off for wrestling the Cardiff lad to the ground with both arms around his head. This behaviour from a so-called professional footballer is indefensible. I'm happy with his contribution, value-for-money etc. but his on-pitch behaviour deteriorates with every game, he'll be sent off against Bolton if he carries on like this. He should go in the summer if he can't learn to control himself.

• Backroom
he'll be sent off against Bolton if he carries on like this.

Isnt he suspended for this game after picking up ANOTHER yellow card against Portsmouth.

Yes... and he's on the way to ANOTHER suspension with the yellow he picked up last night ! mad.gif

What the hell happened to our team after we went 3-1 up?....we just started to fall apart blink.gif

I watched in amazement and horror as we just sat back and gave them the bloody ball,and I mean literally passed it to them....f'kin unbelievable!!!

Thank god we're through but Jesus that was one VERY uncomfortable second half to watch.....all credit to Cardiff.

Once again the mobbing of Pederson left every Rovers fan at Ewood with a big smile on their face biggrin.gif

So its bring on the U's and lets see Rovers fans dig deep in those pockets and turn out in force PLEASE!!!

Also, when Reid came on for Gallagher, where did he play and what players did Hughes change around?

Reid and Nissa came on for Gally and Tugay.

Nissa replaced Mokoena at centre back.

Mokoena replaced Tugay in midfield.

MGP replaced Gally up front.

Reid went to right wing and Emerton went to left wing.

he'll be sent off against Bolton if he carries on like this.

Isnt he suspended for this game after picking up ANOTHER yellow card against Portsmouth.

Yes... and he's on the way to ANOTHER suspension with the yellow he picked up last night ! mad.gif

Herein starts another period of Dickov bashing, which will not only end the next time he scores a goal, but will actually completely reverse and see all the same people hailing the guy as the second coming.

You fickle fickle people.

T4E, my opinion hasnt changed since I posted this back on the 27th December.

Right I'll get ready to duck when the bricks start to fly.

Yes Dickov, has scored some goals, but what does he do.?

He runs around for 90 minutes.

What else does he do.?

Can he run with the ball and beat a defender.? No

Is able to out pace a defender.? No

Is he good in the air.? No.

So what does he do.?

He continualy backs into defenders, throwing his arms around the back of defenders stopping them from backing away or to get in front of him.

90% of the time this happens he ends on his backside, demanding a free kick. As do 99% of the fans.

Referees have become wise to him, thats why free kicks arent awarded.

His running around all over the place must be very frustrating for any striker who has to team up with him. How can you link up if you havent a clue where the hell he's run to.

There is no apparent pattern to his play, any midfielder wanting to feed him, has to scour the field to find him.

He has been partnered with Jansen, Bothroyd, Gally and Stead, but have any of those partnerships looked comfortable. ? Not in my opinion.

Whilst I cant complain about his work rate, my personal opinion is that if Rovers are to get some goals and are to develop a striking partnership then Dickov must be dropped to the bench and a different partnership tried up front.

eg Stead and Gally

Herein starts another period of Dickov bashing, which will not only end the next time he scores a goal, but will actually completely reverse and see all the same people hailing the guy as the second coming.

You fickle fickle people.

I'd like to divorce myself from that. I'm not bashing Dickov. It was clear to the entire BBE he wrestled the Cardiff defender to the ground by grabbing him around the head/neck with both arms - AFTER the ball had gone.

This is simply downright irresponsible play from a player of 12+ years experience. If Rovers are 1-0 down, chasing a game and Dickov is dismissed for this type of behaviour it could cost us 3 points, a semi-final, god knows what.

I would hope Sparky takes him to one side and shows him how to be a little more discreet when he kicks the opposition smile.gif

I agree broadly with Scotty's summing up of last night's events ohmy.gif , apart from Mokoena. I thaought he started well but just got worse as the game wore on. There are signs of quality but I feel he will need time to get used to the pace of the PL.

Lucas Neill should be dropped immediately. His defending was poor and his passing was wasteful.

Overall a night to forget.

Ps anyone know why Jansen wasn't in the squad?

Edited by Tony Diamond Inc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.