BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jansen

Matt Jansens contract is up this summer, while I know he isn't the same player he used to be and as much as it pains me to say, probably for the sake of his career be best to let him go, should we let him go in the summer and offer him on a free, which won't help with his confidence.

Or offer him a new contract to show that we still have faith, I hope it's the latter but I know most people on here will just think I'm being daft.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rovers board will have little sentiment - I cannot see Matty getting an extension, I think the club have been outstanding so far in supporting him, however it seems clear that his injury has permanently affected his cerebral functioning.

I will never forget the goal he scored away at the Reebok in the Nationwide when Rovers won 4-1, the feint followed by the ball whistling past the keeper.

I wonder how many leagues he may now drop to find an employer.

Maybe just a 1 year extension ? Give him another year to prove he has still got it. Im well aware he has had chances before this but surely one more year on his contract would'nt be a bad decision.

My heart agrees but my head screams no sad.gif

I genuinely feel upset for Matt. He is unlikely to ever recapture his form, and the career of one of Englands best prospects has been ruined. Think what we could have achieved with a fully fit Jansen. However it may just be me clutching at straws but he has shown his ability in flashes. The goal against liverpool, Birmingham and another i cant remember. he has hardly had a decent run upfront to find any form. So mabye just mabye, an extended run in his favoured position may help regain his sharpness and his goals. I would give him an extention, play him in as many possible games as we can and see what happens. he cant score any less that steady and bothroyd. I believe he would still bag us around 10-15 goals if he played every game from the start of a season.

Even though I don't follow him close enough like most of you do, I would offer a one year extension (with a lower wage, probably).

He hasn't produced much but most of our scorers haven't either. I think he should get more opportunities up front...

But it is perfectly understandable if they release him on a free.

I just do not see a way for Jansen to get a chance in the first team. The club has far more to lose playing somebody who has been out of action for so long, who hasnt scored many at all, who can be released on a free over players like Stead who we paid 1.5million for with great expectations, Gallagher a product of the youth system on a long contract and Dickov, our highest scorer, not including potential signings.

Personally I think Jansen would play for a slim precentage of his current wage if he were to be offered a one year contract, which would be great business for a fourth choice striker, but that's not fair on Matt.

Since Matt's accident, the Rovers have played 99 Premier League fixtures.

Until his contract expires this summer, there are just 15 (PL) games to go.

It would be very strange if he were to be offered a new deal.

The first thing Hughes did when he arrived was to give Matt a fresh chance. Matt has since had a minor injury, not at a good time for him, but Hughes had already dropped him again.

He remains my favourite player currently on the books, I've met him a couple of times and he's a top bloke. I'm afraid that even I now accept that his football career is going to continue at a lower level, if at all.

He's a very bright guy, he may decide that after that passing flirt with the very pinnacle of the game (Tord Grip you t0sser) that the rest of his life lies away from football.

Jansen has looked no worse than the rest of our strikers this season, in fact at times he has looked better than most. He's better than Bothroyd, I don't see that there's any doubt about that.

He's worth a one year contract, I'd be pretty upset if we let him go without giving him a proper run this season.

This is something that I am really torn over. I think that part of the problem that Blackburn have is that we have too many strikers of too low a standard. Keeping Jansen for longer is not going to help, but he has been a fantastic servant... My football brain says he has to go, my heart wants us to keep him on

I think that the best option for Blackburn Rovers -- and Matt Jansen -- would be to let him go.

His standard isn't high enough anymore, so not only will it be a waste of his wages to keep him, but Jansen would also not get the regular first team action that he would get at a lower level.

It's a real shame. sad.gif

I for one think we should keep him AND give him a run in the side, apart from Dickov and Emerton he is our topscorer in the league. Two goals from three starts aint so bad, the problem is that he dont get a run in the team.

Hughes threw him on for the pompey game and he scored only to be brought down to left midfield the next league game, and when he scored against brum he was brought off at halftime.

So if you look at stats the Stead and Gally should be sold.

I, personally, dont think we need him anymore at his current level. However, if we let him go and get Bothroyd permanently, I owuld be disapointed, as there hasnt been a massive difference in them this year.

Perhaps a 1 year contract (lower wages) with a 3 month stint at a div 1 club to get him back to some sort of match fitness... then, if not, I think Blackburn would have done all and moreso that they could to keep him and get him back to his best.

Cant see it happening tho...

Get rid. Didn't think we should have extended his contract after the injury. Didn't believe we should have paid him during his recovery.

Harsh, but what happened was his own fault, and people don't recover from something like that fully. If I breached my contract, I'd expect that treatment.

Did the Rovers renew his contract, wasnt it in place before the ACCIDENT. ?

If he was under contract, Rovers would have been in breach of contract by not paying him !

Was it his fault ?

If not, how was he in breach of contract ?

he has to take some responsability for the accident alan.

if your a premiership footballer, you dont go around riding mopeds...simple!!

Yes, he has to take responsibilty.

But no-one here knows whether he was in brach on his contract as non of us now what he was and what he wasnt allowed to do under the terms of his contract.

If he wasnt in breach of contract when the accident occured then we should have had insurance that would covered some, if not all, of the costs the club incurred.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.