BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jansen

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I know that footballers are forbidden from taking part in any dangerous activities by their contracts. I would assume riding a scooter so qualifies.

Certainly at the time I heard some talk about Rovers not paying Matty. I also thought we gave him a contract extension when he was recuperating, but am prepared to be wrong on that one.

Footballer's contracts regularly prevent them from skateboarding, skiing, going on a moped around Rome.

If he was permitted to do that under the terms of his contract, I'd say it was pretty shabby.

and I don't think his contract has been extended since.

Have you read a premiersip contract then?

It would make sense to have it in but mistakes are made and stupid things can be left out.

If Jansen had breached contract I would expect that we would still have paid him but at a severly reduced level.

Well, I know that footballers are forbidden from taking part in any dangerous activities by their contracts.

And your source is?

And werent you the one who said we could not take it for granted that if Ferguson went to Rangers that the 2.5mil we still have to owe may not be available. Yet you are willing to jump to guesses over contracts.

Yes you may be right but I also expect a premeiship contract is a complicated document that may have a loophole that a v good lawyer could find to make us still pay him.

Finally, the club still proably felt they owed him for helping us regain premiership status.

Do agree though, unless he shines till the end of the season we should not offer him a new contract.

No I haven't read a Premiership footballer's contract - I should imagine they're real page-turners though!

It's something that's cropped up only once or twice in the past (unless my memory deceives me) that a footballer has wanted to do something daft like skiing, but has been prevented from doing so by a club reminding him of his contract. I made the not-unreasonable deduction that this would be common feature of such contracts.

Well I was told by an ex-Blackburn footballer that it was definitely excluded in his contract with the club and it's excluded in his contract with another club as well- in fact they were remarkably similar in form.

And my friend sneaked off skiing- knowing that any accident would have left him footing his OWN medical bills.

Well, I know that footballers are forbidden from taking part in any dangerous activities by their contracts.  I would assume riding a scooter so qualifies.

If you think about it though riding a moped in a sensible fashion is in no way in itself a dangerous activity so I can't see how it could be included in the contract. True if some idiot drives the moped irresponsibly or another driver is at fault then it is a problem but an employer can't really restrict the freedom of movement of one their employees during their leisure time on the off chance that an unknown third party may feasibly break the law and run them down. It'd be a bit like saying they couldn't have their own flat should a burgler just happen one night perchance to rob it. Simple fact is that it was an accident and, so far as I have ever heard, Matty himself was not at fault. Mind you, riding without a helmet should have breached the contract but that appears just to have been myth and that Jansen was in fact wearing a helmet which actually saved his life.

Skiiing is slightly different as it is putting the person skiing at the whim of the conditions underfoot or possibly overfoot should the weather suddenly change and it often has before. Perhaps I'm wrong though, merely speculating as to why skiing is considered dangerous as other things not.

Almost certain that Jansen signed his lengthy new contract towards the end of the 2001/2002 season and before his accident.

Unless he gets back into the first team regularly it should be bye bye Matty. The club has paid him a fortune in the last three years for very little return and seems to just confirm that the career of Matt Jansen since 2002 had become one of the biggest disappointments in the history of the club. So much better was anticipated, it's been a crying shame for both club and player. Especially as I'd say that Jansen was better than Duff at the time of his injury, sounds overblown now but I bet most of this board would have agreed at the time. Duff continued to progess though whereas, alas, Jansens was a future of regression.

Talk about what could have been...

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Didn't Souness let them all ride on bikes in the summer tour when Tugay got hit by a car?

Is that not a breach of all their contracts?

He even said I'm not letting any of my players ride a bike again, so maybe it wasn't in Jansens contract.

Sadly i think he has played his last game for us tonight, the young lad is ahead of him.

Cheers for the memories Matty.

He can't possibly be worse than Bothroyd.

I hope not given the performance last night from Jay...

As Scotty said:

Bothroyd put in one of the worst centre-forward performances it's ever been my misfortune to see from a Rovers player.

He looked lazy, he didn't compete for a single ball, his first touch was pathetic, he didn't make a single run into space, and I can't remember him winning a header. He was simply disgraceful.

Jon Stead, meanwhile, is going through a hellish goal drought - twenty one games without a goal this season. ohmy.gif

(I accept that the service he's been getting hasn't always been great, but 21 games without a goal is still a terrible run.)

Jansen, with far fewer appearances than Stead this season, has at least managed to score some important goals - like the winner against Portsmouth in Sparky's first game in charge and the opening goal in the 3-3 draw with Birmingham.

I'm sure my pal The Drog will disagree with me - (If it was up to Gordon I reckon he would've strung Matty up by his boll0x after the bike accident!) - but in my view Jansen is no worse than our other strikers at Ewood.

A new one-year deal (possibly on reduced wages) could be an option for Matt if he can demonstrate some form and fitness in our remaining games before the end of the season.

but in my view Jansen is no worse than our other strikers at Ewood.

After last nights display, nay the displays from our strikers so far this season I have to disagree.

Of our strikers Jansen has looked the most dangerous in front of goal.

Jansen on crutches is better than Bothroyd.

but in my view Jansen is no worse than our other strikers at Ewood.

After last nights display, nay the displays from our strikers so far this season I have to disagree.

Of our strikers Jansen has looked the most dangerous in front of goal.

Jansen on crutches is better than Bothroyd.

Even as he is now Jansen is our current best bet to partner Dickov.

We really are in dire straits up front.

I guess we will know Matts future by monday with rovers being strongly linked to both Sokota and Bellamy..

We have:

Dickov

Jansen

Gallagher

Johnson

Stead

Bothroyd

With the possibility Sokota and Bellamy coming in?

Someone will have to go... Bothroyd I can understand, but Jansen too? sad.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.