BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

First striker

den

Who is the greatest striker ever to play for Blackburn Rovers?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest striker ever to play for Blackburn Rovers?

• Alan Shearer,
    • Fred Pickering,
    • Andy McEvoy,
    • John Byrom,
    • Chris Sutton,
    • Tommy Briggs,
    • Simon Garner.
    • David Speedie,
    • Mike Newell,
    • Andy Crawford.
    • Matt Jansen,
    • Roy Vernon.
    • Duncan McKenzie
    • Kevin Gallacher,

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear den,

I really am struggling with your words "decent striker" and players such as Paul McKinnon, Sean Curry and Paul Round in the same sentence.

Would reiterate a previous message about David Speedie; without him we would not have achieved promotion in 1991-92. Watch the video of the season - he was truly phenomenal.

Suppose it has to be Shearer because he would probably be a candidate for an all-time England XI. The way he left the club was still disgraceful however.

And Garner to play alongside him because he had the virtue that the likes of Shearer, Ferguson and Savage all lack - loyalty.

Shearer and McEvoy for me.

But I guess lack of age and folklore will result in huge but uninformed support for Simon ......... although he was a very useful 2nd / 3rd Div striker and a fairly loyal servant he would not have 'cut it' in the old first div.

Well I've gone for one of em Dave. Shearer was better than Fred Pick and the pair were too similar to play together imo so thats why I fely McEvoy would make a better pairing. Its all daft really though innit?

of course Shearer is our greatest striker, but it is worth mentioning just HOW good he was when playing for us. He's done an incredible job at keeping up his scoring rate at Newcastle but at Rovers, before he did his Knee in he was simply the best player I have ever seen in the flesh.

I saw him play a couple of games for us where he was our best defender, midfielder and goal-scorer all at once. Tackling back deep in midfield, claiming defensive headers at corners and slamming home goals. The guy was incredible.

If anyone has ever won a Chamionship single handed it was him in '95. Of course it's a team game but just like Maradona in '86 he was a genius surrounded by honest, hard working proffessionals.

Coupled with that he turned down United twice and only left us to go to his home-town club for a (then) enormous fee.

What more can we ask?

And Garner to play alongside him because he had the virtue that the likes of Shearer, Ferguson and Savage all lack - loyalty.

Are you certain about that Jim? Jeez you do come out with some rubbish at times.

I could argue that Shearer by his actions has displayed fierce loyalty to his home town team. Far more than our Dunny but thats another topic.

As for SammyG's loyalty to BRFC ........ I wonder if a World Record £15 million move to join KK's Newcastle revolution or Sutty's 10 mill move to the bright lights of Chelsea might just have tested that loyalty better than Halifax Towns not inconsiderable offer of a couple of thousand quid and a bag of chips and fish every week at Harry Ramsdens? laugh.gif

of course Shearer is our greatest striker, but it is worth mentioning just HOW good he was when playing for us. He's done an incredible job at keeping up his scoring rate at Newcastle but at Rovers, before he did his Knee in he was simply the best player I have ever seen in the flesh.

I saw him play a couple of games for us where he was our best defender, midfielder and goal-scorer all at once. Tackling back deep in midfield, claiming defensive headers at corners and slamming home goals. The guy was incredible.

If anyone has ever won a Chamionship single handed it was him in '95. Of course it's a team game but just like Maradona in '86 he was a genius surrounded by honest, hard working proffessionals.

Coupled with that he turned down United twice and only left us to go to his home-town club for a (then) enormous fee.

What more can we ask?

Substitute the word 'striker' for 'player' in line 4 and that assessment is bob on DM.

Oh dear....this is a tricky one to decide....should I go with my heart or my head ?

The heart says Garner and Jansen.....both loved/love playing for the club and are loved by the fans.

Unfortunately, the head rules and so I just have to pick Shearer as one of my front 2......although the manner of his departure from the club almost knocked him down my list, he is/and probably always will be the greatest goalscorer our club will ever have

Although Shearer preferred Mike Newell as his strike partner, I am going to pick Speedie as my second choice.....he was amazing for us back in 1991/1992 and his Play-Off performances v Derby and Leicester will be ones I will never forget.

Therefore:

Number 9: Shearer

Number 10: Speedie

Edited by BigDom

not trying to be defensive. But can someone explain to me why Shearer's departure left such bad blood?

The facts of the matter are pretty good (left for his home-town club, record fee etc).

I was a poor student at the time he left so I wasn't going to many games - did he do or say something out of order? huh.gif

Roy Wegerle (93rd minute winner against Toon in FA Cup in about '86)

Howard Gayle (equal rights trailblazer... leisurely genius)

Oh alright then.... Shearer & Garner!!

I think you mean '96.

Was in the WalkerSteel for that game, remember the goal vividly... absolute cracker

I think we've been absoultely spoiled for strikers in the last 15 years or so- Shearer, Sutton, Gallacher, Garner, Speedie, Jansen

My votes go to:

Shearer- the best striker I have seen in the flesh. He was so good that on the rare occasion when he missed you were absolutely flabberghasted

Gallacher- because he provided so many memorable moments: goals on his debut (also Graeme Le Saux's debut if I remember rightly) in a 4-1 win against Liverpool at Ewood- such a good game that I didn't mind getting completely soaked at the bottom of the old Nuttall St stand; flicking the ball past Schmeichel in the opening minutes at Old Trafford; smacking one over Seaman from about 30 yards at Highbury, etc etc

Two more reasons why I vote Gallacher:

He's Scottish!

He always gave his all and played with a smile on his face

Edited by millionpints

not trying to be defensive. But can someone explain to me why Shearer's departure left such bad blood?

The facts of the matter are pretty good (left for his home-town club, record fee etc).

I was a poor student at the time he left so I wasn't going to many games - did he do or say something out of order? huh.gif

He had a 'gentlemans agreement' with Uncle Jack that he would stay on

Nothing on paper though

Admittedly, he said this prior to Euro 96 and I understand that he had a great tournament and it was his home town club that came in for him.......

........but, In my opinion it was the old chestnut........

"I'm not going anywhere" which he said at the end of season 1995/1996 that left most Rovers fans pretty pi$$ed off

Shearer is a must, the question is Alan or Duncan??

I would have gone for Sutton, or Forrest but it's hard to say having never seen him play (I'm old enough just never got to a game).

However, I've been convinced to plum for David Speedie!

Edited by waynerockett

My first choice can't be anyone else other than Alan Shearer. He was absolutely brilliant. He could have played almost anywhere on the pitch and been a great. But, he was playing in a very good side, which helped.

Second, it has to be Simon Garner. Sure the likes of Speedie, Sutton, Jansen, McEvoy (before my time), and possibly others may have been better players, but Garns was a local hero. Also, he often played in a pretty poor side, which can't have helped.

I used to like Andy Crawford but I was only a kid at the time.

"I'm not going anywhere" which he said at the end of season 1995/1996 that left most Rovers fans pretty pi$$ed off

He didn't actually say that, the Telegraph headline did.

What he said was "he was looking forward to showing Colin Hendry his Euro 96 winners medal at Brockhall"

CLICK HERE

Where's Grabbi/Grooby option?

is it just the picky part of me, or is the 'blame grooby' speech on every thread really not that funny

The point of a Grooby option on most polls (admittedly not the best player ones) is a chance for people to abstain/vote none-of-the-above.

... and besides, who's to say everything ISN'T Lee Grooby's fault smile.gif