BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 3 - 0 Colchester Utd

Paul

Colchester resembled a pub team at times

A mite harsh perhaps! I think you showed your class at times, rather than us being particularly bad.

Thats pretty much my opinion..

We turned on the class when we needed to, and rarely got into a "high gear".

Colchester at least tried to play a good level of football, and if the chap who had lots of space on the left at 0-0 would have shot anywhere other than into friedals arms, or the cufc no4 didnt do an air kick rather than bury an easy shot then it may have been different.

Davisons mistake was obviously the big turning point, but the chap with the long throws made life at least a little awkward

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think Greg Halford (the man with the throws) is one of the most likely to step up in the future. Just turned 20, he has played most games at right back but has also played 15 games up front this season, scoring nine goals in the process.

He could make a Stead-esque step up in the future.

What kind of supporter has a shot at other supporters about attending games, but can't spell the names of team members correctly?

BTW, I had 12000Kms, the Timor sea, the Indian Ocean, the Indian sub continent, part of Asia and most of Europe AND the channel to cross.

Yours is a pitiful excuse, Eddie

Well I have an extra 1000 kms on top of that! Btw, good win. Go you good thing.

I would have a 3.5 hour drive and an overnight ferry ride before I could have joined you on the plane Evukovic.

But I'm sure you would agree though, that it we were "real" fans we would have made the effort.

Well done Rovers and bring on the dingles.

The poor crowd is really a sign of the times. What did we expect?

I was working so could not go, but if I hadn`t been I was wavering, given the recent amount of high price games-Bolton (£28) Cardiff (£24) and Chelsea next week (£28). Sorry, but I couldn`t really have justified it. Esp if I want to go to Boro on Saturday.

When you factor in the ancillary service prices involved in attending a match, the bill becomes ridiculous. Some may say, "well Ozz don`t have five pints before the match", but could you honestly watch Rovers, particulary the Bolton match,anywhere near sober???

Rovers dominated,Colchester were never really in the game.

Absolute shyte attendance despite a good 2,000 from the U's...will Rovers fans be bothered to get off their arses for the next round? sad.gif

This was mentioned by yourself in another thread.

I predicted a dreary 13,000, and we didn't even get that.

I was dissapointed at the attendance but not surprised. It's Colchester after all, nothing against Colchester, but it's hardly going to bring everyone out.

Tickets were priced quite reasonably I thought, but we aren't going to get more fans to these type of cup games unless we start performing a lot better in the league.

Quote from the BBC report of the game:

"Johnson broke down the left in the sixth minute but his teasing cross was cleared, while Morten Gamst Pedersen shot wide after the outstanding Brett Emerton laid the ball into his path 18 yards from goal."

Crikey.. outstanding eh? Anyone who was there care to verify this claim?

Yes, his workrate was excellent. Hughes took him off when we were comfortably ahead, I'm sure to rest him ready for Chelsea on Wednesday. Emerton's running down the left and Thommo down the right gave us fluidity in attack. I also thought MGP & Johnson as a slightly unlikely strike partnership worked surprisingly well. They linked up well with some neat touches, though playing against Colchester's defence would have made all the above look good.

Nelsen does have a presence in defence. He looks much more solid & dependable than Mokoena, but its early days for both of them yet.

I was disappointed for C'chester, cos i got the feeling that they didnt play very well. Obviously when you are playing prem opposition it was going to be hard for them, but to go and play only averagly made the job immpossible. Fair play to their 2,500+ fans who came, had fun, made noise and were applauded by the BBe at the end, as was the c'chester team walking off.

As for the game, the 1st awful goal really killed it. Pedereson is really growing into a proper player, was unlucky not to score, but i think he will be moved back to his better left mid vs chels. Emerton worked hard and played pretty well. He got round the back 2 or 3 times, eventually culminating in winning the free kick for the 3rd goal. Jemal took his goal very well, but needs to learn how to make the ball stick when he is holding it up. None the less, for a 19yr old on debut he did very well. Todd was crusing all day and Brad only had 1 real save to make, right at the very end. Their keeper, obviously looked like a nonce after the goal, but keep up banter with bbe lower throughout the 1st half which was good to see. A fun day on the hole, and i enjoyed it especially when matteo scored and i could relax, i mean not even Rovers could force a replay vs c'chester from 3-0 up could we.....?

Poor crowd, not really bothered about that really as it was inevitable. Onto the 5th round and perhaps we can get a real run togther. I would like either Harlepool at home (beating bfc in the replay of course) could it should be a win for us and they would bring i reckon 4-5,000. Only better than that would be Burnley home or away, dont care which and a sat evening kick off under the lights. Superb.

Ridiculous that Nissa has just been discarded for Moekena. Moekena looks like he has good physical attributes but that is about it- looks dodgy in my eyes and only a matter of time before we see how really bad he is. Unless injured Nissa should partner Todd. As his contract is up at the end of the season it seems unlikely he will stay.

Good result.

Other highlights were the announcer trying to get the Colchester sub's name right (Ndumbu-Nsungu).

Also, the Colchester fans gave Savage a bit of stick when he was taking the corners. Which Savage was loving. It was all good-natured.

Thought that Colchester's no. 4 had a chance to bury one past Friedel in the second half that he could have done more with.

The Colchester fans all did themselves credit.

I travelled to the game with a Us fan. He'd warned me that Fagan was their player to watch but he just got a bit angry and that was about it.

For Colchester I was a little disappointed that at 1-0 down they didn't make more of a game of it. However that might be explained by the nature of the first goal.

Nelsen did okay but he did make one howler losing the ball just outside our area. However I think that was an exception and on the whole he looked a good player.

Neill does look like he beleives in himself again. Andy Todd looked composed. I was pleased how Rovers dealt with the physical side of the game quickly and efficiently.

Everyone was trying to help Stead get a goal at the end with Thompson giving him encouragement on the pitch. If nothing else, that shows good team spirit.

With Savage we do finally seem to have some threat from free kicks.

Emerton seems like he would be a good player if he could make speed up his decision making and get a little bit more direct.

And apologies to Colcehster fans for the Rovervision presenter calling you Exeter (whoops).

tinykit.gif

Fair play to their 2,500+ fans who came, had fun, made noise and were applauded by the BBe at the end, as was the c'chester team walking off.

I'll second that, but with the reservation that most of the crowd had buggered off before the final whistle (presumably the "escape the rush.")

*Drums fingers on desk*

Whatever happened to a round of applause to the loosing underdogs?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.