BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] *Poll* Barry Ferguson

den

Should rovers have sold him, at this time, for £5m?  

404 members have voted

1. 1. Should rovers have sold him, at this time, for £5m?

• Yes
    • No

rover.gif as soon as fergal handed in his transfer request he had to go,sparky has said he told the board on friday he had to go,when he refused to play-god how i missed my chance to boo him.we had from friday to midnight last night to replace him or buy a striker,obviously like myself hughes is confident we will survive.

to al i have one question,what did fergie do last year to safe us from relagation,from the comfort off his setee what did he do ?sfa.i must ask other posters to read between the lines,we get told only what the club want us to hear-you should have learnt that from sourness's reign the sooner jw and rob coar go the better tinykit.gif

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I posted when Souness left that Ferguson would leave in the January window. He only came here to play for Souey in the first place. I remember Ferguson commenting that he watched an Old Firm game last season just before his first appearance for us and he felt very homesick and wondered why he had left. It seems those feelings never really left him and that we have never seen the best of him.

He is a very good player but I cant help feeling that hes done his career no good at all by going back to an inferior league when many of the world`s top players want to try out the premiership.

I  I genuinely didn't think he would refuse to play.

I'm still puzzled by the legal implications of this.

Why did not Rovers suspend him without pay when he refused to play ?

Any lawyers out there ?

What would they gain apart from annoying him.

At they point they probably just decided to put all their effort into getting the most from Rangers. And who says we have paid Fergsuson?

I voted no as it was too close to the window to use the money. But having just read the LET article I may have changed my mind, having an unhappy player is useless as he'd have played poorly and we'd have got even less in the summer.

yes 5 million is good money for a flop, totally overrated player, and no way worth 6.5 million and in no way worth 5 million, if his name was not Barry Ferguson he would be worth about 1.5-2.0 million, but he had a big reputation in his tiny pond up north.

strikers in the summer please

Edited by chris

I voted no based on the information available to me last night. Based on what JW has said today then clearly the club did the best they could. Maybe I'm being naive but I genuinely didn't think he would refuse to play.

You are being naive, the so-called club captain handed in a transfer and did his damndest to get out of the club in the middle of a relegation battle.

Ferguson's actions for the past month have been of a player who seriously did not want to play for the club and his refusal to play was merely an extension of such actions and was predictable, if still a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Why Barry had to go - LET

"The turning point came when we turned down Rangers' £4 million offer last week.

"Barry then made it clear he didn't want to play against Colchester on Saturday, which was a grave concern to us.

"We decided at that point it was time to let him go and we set about trying to get the best possible price we could for him.

Once BF made it clear that he wanted to go the only consideration to be made was how to maximise the price on his sale.

I believe that JW - who I have often criticised in the past - did this with considerable success .

This , of course, meant haggling , which for those of us living in the real world means stating one price while all along being perfectly happy to settle for another ! We asked for 6mill , they offered 3mill ; guess what , the eventual price was 4.5 mill with 0.5 in add ons . Philipl take note , please ..... wink.gif .

Unfortunately , haggling means going down to the wire , leaving us with no time to do business in the transfer market . We could have splashed out on a striker , but then again ther deal with Rangers could have fallen through .

The only other alternative to deal with BF was to go down the disciplinary route , as Jim suggested , but this is only a viable option when the player is worthless (in monetary terms not character ). We would either have ended up with a nonplaying waster on our hands whose worth would rapidly depreciate , or we'd sack him and watch him walk for nothing . Better to take the money .

( Streakyb - carry on posting . Most of us welcome a bit of debate on here . It's just unfortunate that there are some who don't - and even more unfortunate that some of those are moderators ph34r.gif )

( Streakyb - carry on posting . Most of us welcome a bit of debate on here . It's just unfortunate that there are some who don't - and even more unfortunate that some of those are moderators  ph34r.gif )user posted image

Blimey, I'll be going to bed black and blue. tongue.gif

The club has banked a transfer profit in this window but will no doubt plead poverty in the summer. Even if Rovers stay up both Emerton and Thompson will leave in the summer for modest fees. If things look bad now they'll be a whole lot worse next season. The caution of the board/owners looks like a strategy to land in the Coca Cola with manageable debts

If you look at the loss we made on the likes of Davies and Grabbi, I suppose we should be thankful for the £5m. It could have been a lot worse.

I almost posted that, but then deleted it, as he was better then both of them players, players like Davies, Grabbi, Dailly, they had no reputation to live up too, because they were already crap before hand, Ferguson was good/ ok, but not worth the money, the other were just crap, hard to even watch, actually painful, really really really really painful, and particularly Dailly, if I ever see Hodgson mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I voted no but after hearing soft lad Ferguson and reading the Telewag i have too change my original vote to a resounding yes, another Souness bad buy, i definitely feel weve been rubbered again by Glasgow Rangers.

Scottish football has left itself wide open to more ridicule after soft Bazzas stint in the premiership and prompt return to the north of northern England.

Ferguson is a good, not great, player, and the best we had.

So he is a big, big loss in my opinion.

However he is a miserable human being and refusing to play, as a tactic to get the transfer sums him up. I think backing the management team could be the only reasonable position to take and that's certainly been my approach.

As for all the nonsense about Rangers this and Rangers that Mr Fergsuon and supporters have been banging on about, it betrays a small town mentality missing from the Blackburn Rovers, a club that expects decent standards of behaviour, and who will never forget this episode in the club's history.

Back to your sectarian ghetto Barry; they'll be celebrating on the Shankill Road tonight.

Spit and move on.

Maybe it's all part of the wider picture in Rovers' transfer dealings over the past ten years or so.

Let's not forget Woy's free use of Jack's money. He bought some real donkeys. They were sold on for peanuts.

Then Kiddo, who also spent loads of money on the likes of Ashley Ward. Also sold on for sod all.

Souness started off really well, but later made some bad buys which must have made the Board sit up and think.

So taking a £1m loss (or whatever) on BF is probably good business for Rovers when compared to the past 10 years.

Compare to Grabbie/Blake/Ward/Davies/ Amorouso/...add your own.

In that light, selling BF seems like a good deal to me.

Barry Island:

The Island's activities are centred around sandy Whitmore Bay and the adjacent pleasure park. Between the two are the gardens and promenade, and the area is filled with attractions, amusements, and all manner of gift shops, food outlets and licensed premises (pubs and bars!)

Barry Ferguson:

Loser!

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Stor..._284289,00.html

"Barry admits leaving rangers to go to rovers was a bad career move"

Not as bad as moving back up there.

The board to me did well with a player who held all of the cards. 5million for a player whop doesn't want to play is pretty good considering. Indeed had we paid a sensible price for him, we'd all be considering the 5m an incredible piece of business by rovers.

The biggest looser in all of this is Ferguson. Blackburn will get over this, one player is not a club. I'd much rather have lost barry than Todd, Brad, Dickov or Emerton. Ferguson will never now get the chance of playing for a top club, whereas had he excelled at Rovers he may have become a true Scottish legend.

What I would have liked to see as part of the deal is one of their strikers on loan with option for a perminant deal. A bit of a gamble admittedly but since we have bobbins up front it would have probably been worth taking.

Or they could have taken Amo back with them.

Glad the big girls blouse has gone.

He was crap and Savage is a much better player for us. £5m for him makes the fee for Savage look cheap.

It just sickens me the way we have been turned over by Rangers/Souness. £6.5m for a girl and £1.5m for an overweight pasta chef and we let them have Berg for free. Not obvious that Souness and Murray are best buddies is it?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.