BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Savage

mark

He's in the paper again:-

Mirror

Imagine that could get a little feisty!!

Agree with veryone else on this one. Thought he had a decent game (especially when you compare him with Thommo). So what if he gets in other players faces - it's exactly what you want to see.

Personally think he's a great signing.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason for that, mate, is a question of identity.....

just who are you...........

Most southerners have very little sense of identity in relation to their location due to the fact that most of them live in places of large influx and rarely stay in the same area themselves.

Much of "the south" is an homogenized area anyhow.

I wish Northerners would not lump every thing South of Birmingham as The South.

Have you ever been South? Your description sounds like the South-East and not teh South West.

The South West has a lot more identity than The North. This is probably due to, as you would say, most of the North is an homogenized area anyhow when compared with the South West.

and I wish Southerners would not lump everything North of Birmingham as The North, but they often do. Cuts both ways really. I'd think the main reason people lump large sections of the country containing wildly differentiating places together is because they frankly can't be arsed being any more specific. People like yourself with their references to "The North." Why you calling the kettle black Mr Pot?

Why you calling the kettle black Mr Pot?

Because I wanted to see how long it would take for someone to come up with your response and it took ages. wink.gifwink.gif

Oh, and you are lumping Southerners together again. Arent you just lumping everying south of Birmingham as a Southerner(WTF is a Southerner or Northener? Where is the Boundary? What are you if you are in the middle? Why does no one care about them?).

I've allway been annoyed by the whole North/South divide bo11ocks. It really doesnt matter where you were born/bought up/live. You are what you are.

Edited by streakyb

Oh, and you are lumping Southerners together again. (WTF is a Southerner or Northener? Where is the Boundary? What are you if you are in the middle? Why does no one care about them?).

Well...I only used southerner to mimic your use of the word northerner but you are right that lumping people together is just as redundant as referring to large areas as if they were just the same all the way through.

Oh, and you are lumping Southerners together again. (WTF is a Southerner or Northener? Where is the Boundary? What are you if you are in the middle? Why does no one care about them?).

Well...I only used southerner to mimic your use of the word northerner but you are right that lumping people together is just as redundant as referring to large areas as if they were just the same all the way through.

Fully agree.

Alwways been amazed by the Northener thing being "North of Birmingham". Has anyone ever looked at a map and just seen how much there is North of Birmingham. Manchester is only halfway between Birmingahm and Newcastle yet some people think they are only a few miles part as they are in the "North".

if we're gonna turn this into a north vs south debate, allow me to add my 2 cents...

i class anywhere south of the midlands as south, makes sense

and on a personal level i have never met 1 southern lad who i though was alright, everyone one was a bit of a dick

usually they just have some sort of arogance about themselves, like they are the superior people

but hey, im sure the southerners on this site are just dandy

p.s love southern girls accents (usually), especially slightly posh ones wink.gif

So you are happy to be classed as a Northerner and lumped in with Geordies?

The supposed South has 4 more distinct regions. The South East, The Home Counties, East Anglia and The SouthWest, (make if 5 and have cornwall seperate to keep them happy).

if we're gonna turn this into a north vs south debate, allow me to add my 2 cents...

and on a personal level i have never met 1 southern lad who i though was alright, everyone one was a bit of a dick

usually they just have some sort of arogance about themselves, like they are the superior people

p.s love southern girls accents (usually), especially slightly posh ones wink.gif

when did it get started on a debate about southerners being idiots! Maybe you people are generalising about us lot. id prefer to be southern over being northern any day of the week and also there's a lot of things i could say about northern people i could say but im not going to post my "arrogant" views on here.

Getting back to topic i think savage is a good buy, better than ferguson was. also i think are set pieces now look half deadly as ewll

you can't have met many 'southern' people then mate to form that opinion.

So you are happy to be classed as a Northerner and lumped in with Geordies?

The supposed South has 4 more distinct regions. The South East, The Home Counties, East Anglia and The SouthWest, (make if 5 and have cornwall seperate to keep them happy).

well saying as i am a geordie, im not to bothered about being lumped as one

haha

ps. and yes i have met plenty of southern lads

Edited by youandwhosearmy

i was in the chelsea end last nite (mate had free tickets) and the anti-savage sentiment was (of course) rife, and i must confess that for the most part i agreed with them. he should have been off. he did not play football, he bullied.

i know some posters admire this quality (and myself too, think keane, gerrard, viera, butt etc etc) but savage is a joker. i was dissapointed when we signed him, distraught at the price, and now ive seen him play in our shirt i have even less respect for him.

true he was a nuisance but im not sure he is good for our cause. his strike was terrific but aside from that his passing was sloppy and he argued with/b0ll0cked his own players (neill and nelson infront of the chelsea fans and more in midfield that escape me). IMO that does not encourage or inspire.

so what do we make of our new star man??

p.s. dickov's behavior towards the end was also a joke. he should have been off - hacked at terry whilst punching his ribs!! ph34r.gif

p.p.s. their chants are hilarious: celery CERLERY, if she dont come then tickle her bum with a lump of celery CELERY........ laugh.gif (sticks of celery being hurled around).

anyway, all told not a disgraceful result against 'the champions'; mokoena and MGP very promising, just wish we bought a stiker instead of "the blonde boy in the middle". laugh.gif

I only watched the game on the telly, so maybe it looked different live, but I ( and my gooner flatmate) was very surprised when jose singled out savage.

& to be perfectly honest Mark - I don't like the type of player you refer to in terms of bullying the opposition etc. It's for that reason I really can't stand paul dickov; but Savage has most things that you need in the modern day centre midfielder. I think it has become easy to slate someone like Savage because he has such a dodgy reputation, but against Chelsea he didn't do much wrong.

A few too many passes went astray,but I guess those mistakes will be eradicated as time goes on. I guess you were just going along with the mood of the away fans, because whenever savage gets the ball, people boo him. Try watching him with an open mind next time and you might well be surprised.

I had to do this when hughes first signed for us as a player. I absolutley hated the guy when he played for man u, but learned to respect what he did when he came to rovers.

sadly - I can't say the same about dickov. I really am embarrased to have him in the team.

And whilst we are talking about the midfield - what on eart happened to Thompson? It was probably his worst ever game in a rovers shirt. Needed about 4 touches to get the ball under control!

This thread is becoming a breeding-ground for daft prejudices.

Northerners eat tripe and don't wash the coal-dust off their faces for days; People from the South-West speak in a strange dialect of Gaelic and are forever eating scones and tea when they're not getting hammered on cider; South-Easterners have all the decent jobs and own those car things and everyone hates them for it; Scotsmen speak unintelligably, drink too much whisky and beat their wives and the Welsh are best left alone.

What a load of cr*p, some of you should hear yourselves sometimes.

Yeah, there's a lot of prats in the South - we don't have a monopoly on it though. You'd think teh "North" was some sort of utopian haven.

Well do you want to be lumped with Mancs and Scousers.

And where have you met all these "Southern Lads" (and by Southeren, where did they come from?)

I am proud to be from the South West speaking in a strange dialect of Gaelic wink.gifwink.gif But I feel that i am no different to a Geordie, a Londoner, a Sousers, a Brummie or whatever.

Edited by streakyb

& to be perfectly honest Mark - I don't like the type of player you refer to in terms of bullying the opposition etc. It's for that reason I really can't stand paul dickov;

sadly - I can't say the same about dickov. I really am embarrased to have him in the team.

So you must have well hated Shearer then?

Embarrassed when Dickovs in the team?!? I'm more bloody embarrassed at what we have to offer when he's OUT of it! Dunno how often you come up from London but Dickov's absence was felt mightily in the last couple of matches.

Our soon to be Nationwide leaguers Gally and Stead could not hit a cows backside with a banjo! Bothroyd? 'This boys cheese has slipped right off his cracker' (q from the superb Green Mile) and Jansens lost his cheese totally nowadays.

If we had to sell the lot in the summer I guarantee only Dickov would be playing in the prem next season........... unless Steve Bruce gets hold of the chequebook at Brum. rover.gif

Please try to cultivate less predjudice just cos he doesn't look like a proper centre forward. Since Sav came he'll be Mark Hughes 2nd name on the team sheet or I'm a monkeys uncle.

theres nothing wrong with free tickets when a student with crippling debts.

i hope your opinion is correct when i "next visit Ewood to support Chelsea".

tinykit.gif

Student eh? dry.gifwithstupid.gif

I blurdy well hope you know more about your studies that we are all subbing you for than you do about football

Savage has twice the on-pitch influence in his big toe than that fraud Barry Ferguson has in his entire body! Anyway being a student you should be capable of stringing a few words together so why dont you write to Mark Hughes giving him your thoughts and suggest to him that you dislike Savage and would much prefer to see Zidane, Vierra, Lampard or Gerrard playing in the blue and white halves. tongue.gif

kinell............ who'd have 'students'! Bring on the revolution.........

& to be perfectly honest Mark - I don't like the type of player you refer to in terms of bullying the opposition etc. It's for that reason I really can't stand paul dickov; 

So you must have well hated Shearer then?

Embarrassed when Dickovs in the team?!? I'm more bloody embarrassed at what we have to offer when he's OUT of it! Dunno how often you come up from London but Dickov's absence was felt mightily in the last couple of matches.

Our soon to be Nationwide leaguers Gally and Stead could not hit a cows backside with a banjo! Bothroyd? 'This boys cheese has slipped right off his cracker' (q from the superb Green Mile) and Jansens lost his cheese totally nowadays.

If we had to sell the lot in the summer I guarantee only Dickov would be playing in the prem next season........... unless Steve Bruce gets hold of the chequebook at Brum. rover.gif

Please try to cultivate less predjudice just cos he doesn't look like a proper centre forward. Since Sav came he'll be Mark Hughes 2nd name on the team sheet or I'm a monkeys uncle.

whilst I agree shearer got stuck in, he was the genuine article and his football did the talking more than his elbows.

dickovs game is just pure running and trying to get his opposite man so wound up that he'll kick out.

Whilst I totally agree with you that we need him in the team at the moment - that is purely because of the lack of other striking options we have in the team. That still doesn't mean to say I like him or respect him as a player.

BUT - I'll always get behind the team regardless of who wears the shirt! It's on here that I can vent my spleen!

Well do you want to be lumped with Mancs and Scousers.

And where have you met all these "Southern Lads" (and by Southeren, where did they come from?)

I am proud to be from the South West speaking in a strange dialect of Gaelic wink.gifwink.gif But I feel that i am no different to a Geordie, a Londoner, a Sousers, a Brummie or whatever.

most of the southern lads i met from london, a few from essex and a few from surrey and west sussex

met most while at uni, so i guess you could say most southern STUDENT lads are ######

anyways just to stay on topic, i love savage, and wanted us to sign him before he went to brum, which was sneered at by the majority of people on here!

most of the southern lads i met from london, a few from essex and a few from surrey and west sussex

met most while at uni, so i guess you could say most southern STUDENT lads are ######

You actually mean the South East.

And I feel Savage will do a very good job fus and will help give us a steely edge in midfield, like flitcroft can, but will also have more attacking capilbilty. He will releive pressure from our back four, but will also help our meagre strike force out in the attack.

Edited by streakyb

Why the downer on Dickov - just because he is a niggly so-and-so, please don't ignore the football talent that he does have.

He does unbelievably well to hold the ball up and bring other players into play, his goals record is very respectable considering how few chances we actually create, he makes intelligent runs for others, knows how to defend from the front, suprisingly quick over short distances (though not outstanding pace), runs the channels well. All this for £150k.

Too many people equate big transfer fees meaning better players. Grabbi proves that this isn't necessarily the case.

All the above could be said of Savage (but in a midfield sense) - as he showed at Brum - he creates chances, he makes things happen. We had Fergie for 17 months - I think Savage has probably contributed more in his first few games than Fergie did in all of his.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.