• Roy Vernon
    • Simon Garner
    • Andy McEvoy
    • John Byrom
    • Mike Newell
    • Duncan McKenzie
    • Chris Sutton
    • Kevin Gallacher

In that case how can you know Churchill was a great PM? How can you know Hitler was worse than Saddam?

It's going to be impossible for me to explain this very clearly, the words just won't come, but I'll give it a shot anyway. I feel football is very personal, with the only way to truly judge a player being to see him yourself. Politicians, historical figures, their acts and thoughts are well documented, the result of their actions, much of what is needed.

You know what I'm not going to bother. We are talking about a Rovers best 11, not men of the 20th century.

Edited by Eddie

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that sarcasm I detect?

Not really I just wish you would have a think about it and then decide without having to just narrow it down to who you have seen with your own two peepholes.

I and others just want you to read the threads then make a decision. Not come into it and think...that's it, if I ain't seen him I can't consider him.

I'm not Jim and I'm not here to call you names but I wish you'd open your mind first before deciding.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

I do open my mind. It's simply that I don't think I can fairly judge anyone I've never seen. So I just go with what I know. If this were something very serious, then yes, I would take more time, research, learn statistics, read reviews from each players time, learn what the fans thought of them, all of that. It isn't though, it's just a simple vote. I was simply trying to explain why some had voted for players who most would say would never make Rovers all time 11, and though I might be able to give a reason.

I know that it means I won't pick the best player most of the time. It's just unless I was going to do tons of research on all of them, I wouldn't be doing it fairly anyway, so I've simply limited it to what I've seen.

Yeah but it is extremely subjective. A lot of the research done has been done by those who loved the players, and I see nothing wrong with that, it's useful, and I did take a look at it and it was an enjoyable read and gave me the chance to learn things I didn't know before. I was just trying to judge it myself, and really the best way is to see the player in action, that will have more of an impact on me then a little biography of the player with his career stats.

Oh what's the point...I'll just vote for Simon Garner.

The second easiest vote of the 11 in my mind, after I read all the worthy testimonials on the first striker and made my mind up (well there was no option who to vote for on the first striker, was there?) - bring it on, THERE'S ONLY ONE SIMON GARNER (the number of times I've nearly torn my throat roaring that, when we had little else to roar about). He was there when we ................................ achieved sod all, actually. BUT, he was there and I would buy him a pint anytime and thank him for so many fantastic memories around an otherwise largely bleak landscape that he would probably get a bit embarrassed.

Yeah but it is extremely subjective.

Of course it is. That's the whole point!

No doubt a statto could give us Optima stats and the whole thing would be over and done with in the twinkling of a calculator.

Go crazy, vote for Speedie.

I might even go for Garner despite my shout for the litle sod.

Just going to flip a coin. Heads for Garner, tails for Speedie........

Edited by colin

He's still a current player and therefore popular, but probably on a par with Wegerle in the bigger picture.

How many times have we had a striker good enough for England recognition? Only illness stopped him gaining a cap and probably a place in a World Cup squad.

Not saying he should win the second place, I don't think he should...but saying he's in the same bracket as Wegerle is absurd.

McEvoy and Pickering could play together, I reckon McEvoy and Briggs could have played together, and even Briggs and Pickering. I think in those days it was a case of "who is in the best position to put it away".

They used to think in them days.

Not so sure about Shearer playing with any of the fore mentioned.

I'd take any of:

Briggs

McEvoy

Pickering

Vernon

Southworth

Any team facing that forward line (I know they aren't in position) would wet themselves (and I'm talking the old formation of 2-3-5). Just look up thier records.

I'm not going for these guys 'cause I'm an old fart, but they used to score for fun. They used to enjoy their football.

I could go "sentimental" and choose Briggs, could go logical and choose Southworth.

I'll choose Southworth, 133 games 122 goals, is the clincher.

There's a few players from the fifties and sixties who we haven't heard too much about.

Fred Pickering - Five goals in three England internationals and scored a hat trick on his international debut against the USA. Still finishing well to this day in Blackburn last time I heard; pints that is. Unfortunately buggered off halfway through the season the last time we had a chance of challenging for the title before the 1990s. Had two spells with Blackburn and lives somewhere near the Mill Hill area of the town to this day I think.

Roy Vernon - Highscoring Welsh international.

and, most controversially -

Derek Dougan - Brilliant striker but Barry Ferguson had nothing on him when it came to leaving the club in the brown stuff. Placed in a transfer request on the morning of the FA Cup Final! Went on to become a Wolves legend and a TV pundit. Irish international?

Can any of our members who were around to see those three give us any feedback?

Yes I am afraid its me again, on about our Tommy, sorry but I don't know how to transfer the feature in the L.E.T. on saturday the 5th. all about Tommy Briggs, on to this messageboard, could someone please do it , so people who did not see it get the chance. thanks.

Big A in answer to your question, Tommy left the Rovers in march 1958, he only played 12 games in season 1957-58, scoreing 3 goals, but age had caught up with him and that was it, he went back to Grimsby Town, one of he's former clubs. Tommy had a hell of a career, he volunteerd for the Royal Navy during the war, was sent to Malta to defend the Island, when Malta was safe, he came back to Plymouth, serving on a landing craft running soldiers to the Normandy beach heads, it was only when he got demobbed that Tommy turned to football, he was born in 1923 and sadly died in 1984.

Another item regarding Tommy was the gates, very few people followed away teams in the fifties, due to no money, and a five and half day week, so when the gates at that time averaged 26,000 or 27,000 they all supported the Rovers, so when we scored, the noise all round the ground, including the Darwen end, was terrific.

I was also a fan of Simon's but what a difference the crowd made, I was on Ewood on Simon's finest day ( in my opinion) when he scored five against Derby County, I think the gate was either 4000 or 5000, we cheered like mad, but I'me afraid it could'nt compare to the roars of the fifties, or to the week in week out excitement of following the Rovers with Tommy, cast your vote now for him, Shearer the best ever, Briggs a very close second.

Fred Pickering played in the Youth team that won the cup......as a left back.I think he was also captain.

Jack Marshall was the manager in the early 60's and he found the best position for a number of players hence the name the media gave us: Marshall's misfits.I reckon he was converted around !962 and he ended up making 158 appearances,scoring 74 goals.

Why was he sold to Everton????????????????

Not effectiveley replaced until 1992.

Without doubt he did not achieve his full potential-he was "made" by Duggie and we were never the same without him.

Roy Vernon-was one of the Carey chicks.Played 5 years in the first team and ended up following Carey to...........Everton.

Described as a creative player, he scored 52 goals in 144 appearances. At Everton,where he won a championship medal, he became captain and was described as one of the best creative players of the early 60's.

There he scored 101 goals in176 matches.

Johnny Byrom- replaced Pickering when George Jones,who we'd bought from Bury,didn't live up to expectations.Had one outstanding season in 64/65,but was sold to Bolton after we got relegated.He scored 113 goals for them, quite a number against us!

For us he scored 64 in 146 matches.

I remember him as someone who Bobby Moore couldn't handle.He always did well against him and nearly always scored.

James Brown.5'5" and weighing less than 10 stone. But described as one of the best centre frowards to play for us.His delicate touch and devestating pace were capable of destroying the best of defences.He also often changed the team's format during a match.Captained 3 cup-winning teams, capped 5 times for England.Scred 28 goals in 36 matches.

Eddie Quigley was the most expensive player in the country when PNE paid £26,000 for him in1949.He was a constant threat to teams because of his speed of thought and precision passing.Played deeper than most centre-forwards/inside-forwards.His goal scoring flourished under Carey's attacking approach.In 166 matches he scored 95 goals.