• Roy Vernon
    • Simon Garner
    • Andy McEvoy
    • John Byrom
    • Mike Newell
    • Duncan McKenzie
    • Chris Sutton
    • Kevin Gallacher

voted Garner but looking at the list I have to feel sorry for Mike Newell. He was fantastic for us in the promotion season - helping Speedie score all those goals and then putting away the penalty in the final (lets ignore the 2nd one) then he's Shearer's preffered partner for 3 seasons in the premiership helping him become the best striker in the league and ROvers to the title yet we don't seem to give him much love?

I remember after the final whistle at the play-off final he came over to my section of the crowd to celebrate and everyone started chanting "Speeeeeedie". Poor bloke looked heartbroken...

He's done more for the club than Jansen or even Sutton did and yet he's rarely mentioned in the same breath. I'm guilty of this as well, Ijust can't work out why?! unsure.gif

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's Gallacher in that list???

Tango - that's two I had missed. I missed that one because he finished the previous vote with no votes.

I'm sure they're all there now. Can't see the two late entries making any difference to the outcome. There's loads of time and plenty of votes to come in yet.

I cannot believe the votes for Jansen.

Essential in the promotion season - Yes.

A skillful player on his day - Yes.

Someone who appreciates the fans and always claps the Blackburn End - Yes.

But the second best striker to ever lace up his boots in Rovers colours? Surely not.

Agree with the above post 100%.

Anyway, as a Rover who has only seen, shearer, sutton, gally, jansen and Newell in action due to my age, ive had to use some of the superb write ups by some of our older fans to persuade me which 1 to vote. Whilst Garns was obviously a legend, and our top ever goal scorer, most of these, as has already been said were in the lower leagues. Thus im voting for Briggs.

Btw, at the mo, garns is 1st, briggs 2nd and Jansen 3rd! rover.gif

Edited by BRFC4EVA

Must also go for Garner then...

Banged the goals in when Rovers were gracing lower leagues, something Jansen could still do now.

Jansen has played a more integral part to Rovers present and future than Garner has.....

Uncle Jack would have come along if Garner wasn't around...

I dread to think where Rovers would be now if Jansen hadn't banged all those goals in when we got promoted.

The truth is Garner, if finishes second, is only there as he was a Blackburn End darling... Hardly had the impact Jansen, Sutton, and to a lesser extent Gallacher etc had.

Eh?

Briggs and Garner only in lower leagues.

Sutton and Southworth at top level.

Southworth scored most goals and most England caps.

It is much easier to emotionally vote for Jansen or Garner.

This last choice is going to be a farce and I can see the vote being split 4 or 5 ways. HELP!

Coming from the pre premiership era and fuelled by his own unique diet of bitter and bensons it's only natural that fans identify with Garner.

However I think in his case "greatest" means "most popular" rather than "The best player"

For second striker I would place him behind Sutton Newell and my own choice based on the impact he made, Speedie.

Those are all players I've seen although really I guess Briggs should be the dispassionate choice.

Coming from the pre premiership era and fuelled by his own unique diet of bitter and bensons it's only natural that fans identify with Garner.

However I think in his case "greatest" means "most popular" rather than "The best player"

For second striker I would place him behind Sutton Newell and my own choice based on the impact he made, Speedie.

Those are all players I've seen although really I guess Briggs should be the dispassionate choice.

I agree.

Much as I love him, I would also put him behind Gallacher and even Tony Field, who did after all step up to the big time.

While it seems inevitable he will win for a host of good emotional reasons, I struggle to think of him as a truly great player. He was never a 20+ goal a season player, 10-15 was his average. In our two promotions while he was at the club, he was not the lead goalscorer in either campaign (Crawford and Speedie take the honours), and he didn't do a fat lot in the Full Members Cup Final.

Sorry to diss the great man, he is a hero of mine and without doubt our #1 cult player, but a great player he was not.

But the second best striker to ever lace up his boots in Rovers colours? Surely not.

I just had to respond because my selection was disrespected...

As I understand it, we are voting for the "greatest", rather than the "best", which is quite a difference.

If we were voting for the "best", then we would all be voting purely on statistical evidence.

However, since we are voting for the "greatest" team ever, we are all going to have differing opinions on who was "greater", since we have different interpretations of what the "greatest" is.

As I understand it, we are voting for the "greatest", rather than the "best", which is quite a difference.

If we were voting for the "best", then we would all be voting purely on statistical evidence.

However, since we are voting for the "greatest" team ever, we are all going to have differing opinions on who was "greater", since we have different interpretations of what the "greatest" is.

I don't think Bellamy was being disrespectful just looking for reasons. The number of Jansen votes stands out like a sore thumb.

We all agree he's a v good player and also that he has an excellent relationship with the fans (which is just as important when picking this team) it just seems that saying he is the 2nd greatest striker we've had is a bit of a stretch no matter how you define "greatest"

I agree he could have been but for many reasons he hasn't fulfilled it. If we were picking the 'Greatest' team from the last 10 years (as some people on here seem to be) then I would agree, but not the greatest of all time.

I voted Garner but I can see excellent reasons for voting Briggs, Southworth even Sutton or Speedie.

Again, not being disrespectful just saying that it's not obvious why you would vote Jansen so please give us your case.

I don't think Bellamy was being disrespectful just looking for reasons. The number of Jansen votes stands out like a sore thumb.

We all agree he's a v good player and also that he has an excellent relationship with the fans (which is just as important when picking this team) it just seems that saying he is the 2nd greatest striker we've had is a bit of a stretch no matter how you define "greatest"

I agree he could have been but for many reasons he hasn't fulfilled it. If we were picking the 'Greatest' team from the last 10 years (as some people on here seem to be) then I would agree, but not the greatest of all time.

I voted Garner but I can see excellent reasons for voting Briggs, Southworth even Sutton or Speedie.

Again, not being disrespectful just saying that it's not obvious why you would vote Jansen so please give us your case.

Yeah, it wasn't intended as a dig or anything so I hope you didn't take it personally smile.gif

You're quite right about differing interpretations and this is what has made the poll so very interesting and worthwhile.

My interpretation of Matt Jansen is that he was a quality player and a fan favourite who was a bright spark in a poor division one team that eventually went on to become a good Premier League team again. In my opinion that doesn't equate to the sheer number of goals Southworth scored in the shirt. In your opinion it does. That's the beauty of the whole thing.

Whilst being a young fan myself, it does seem to stick out to me that I've seen a good number of players who have been there or thereabouts in the voting, and that doesn't have to be neccessaily so for a club with such a great past as ourselves.

Edited by bellamy11

My interpretation of Matt Jansen is that he was a quality player and a fan favourite who was a bright spark in a poor division one team that eventually went on to become a good Premier League team again.

wink.gif Well, that and what Eddie and shillitto15 said, but I take your point.

NO WAY would he be number 2 in the last 10 years. Sutton it was who helped us win the Championship. Jansen was merely a ballerina who has one good season. I'd argue Andy Cole was better than Jansen too. People on here are thinking of "might have beens" not what was/is.