• Mike Newell
    • Duncan McKenzie
    • Chris Sutton
    • Kevin Gallacher

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite Garner moment was the one he knocked in against Burnley in one of those pre-season Lancashire (Manx, whatever) Cup games, probably 1985. 5 minutes to go, right in front of the Blackburn end, and he stood there with that big daft grin and cheered like he'd just won the World Cup.

And I've got a Man City supporting mate who still goes pale when he remembers that 4-0 thrashing he gave them, especially the one he scored from almost the corner flag.

There's no doubt in my mind that Garner had the skill, predatory instinct, temperament, technique and vision to succeed at the highest level - how many of us can remember his ability to spin on a penny, turn defenders inside out and shoot hard and accurate with minimal uplift using either foot?

What he didn't have was, perhaps:

The necessary desire? He stayed at BRFC when he could have moved on

The right "training regime" - we all liked it, but would Messrs Clough, Dalglish, Ferguson etc.?

The confidence in his own ability?

He was a major factor in our 1980's "nearly men" period - if others had been as goos as him, it would have made all the difference.

I think we do him a disservice by talking his achievements down due to their not being in the top flight - they were largely in the second division (the proper one, not the current 4th division that has stolen the name to try appear more credible) but there were teams in that division who went up and stopped up with considerable ease at that time - and he drubbed them as much as any others - Man City, Chelsea for example. The second division was much more competitive at the time.

You can only score against what's in front of you.

BTW - I've voted for him, despite an overwhelming desire to have David Speedie in the team for his one-season wonder performance. Any chance we could get him in as sub?

Simon Garner was a great servant to the club.He gave us some great goals, some great times and he was brilliant for us especially in the 80's.

However, in my opinion, his 179 goals in 503 appearances in the old 2nd and 3rd Divisions is not a good enough return to merit a place in our team of greats.

The only one on the list I have never seen play is Jack Southworth.

Even though his scoring was so prolific he took a lot of persuading to come from Olympic to Rovers and later played for Everton. Hmmmm .

Dobing was never as good as Vernon in my opinion; not as consistant. Neither of these would I class as out and out strikers. They were both attacking midfielders.

It's funny how quirks of fate can change a footballer's life. Look at Dave Whelan who may never have become so successful in business if he hadn't broken his leg at Wembley.

Fred Pickering playing, at full back, got injured during a game. No subs in those days so Fred became a "passenger" and was duly moved to centre forward for the remainder of the game, scored two goals and opened the manager's eyes.

Andy McEvoy was used at right half in place of the injured Clayton and was pretty hopeless. Probably due to other injuries he was used as a utility player and was moved up alongside Pickering. Both became prolific goalscorers. McEvoy wasn't a good footballer in any sense other than he could "poach" goals. And boy did he do some poaching.

Tommy Briggs was a firm favourite although all his goals were in the second division, not the top flight. I saw his seven in the 8-3 victory over Bristol Rovers. I also saw Rovers beat Middlesbrough 9-0 and Tommy didn't get one!

I suspect Simon Garner is in the lead and IMO quite rightly so.

I'll soon be voting when I've finally made up my mind.

Hi Bazza,

Inconsistency seems a strange charge to level at a 'midfielder' who topped the goalscorers list for four consecutive seasons and had a better goals / games ratio than almost all those on the approved list. Unless you mean he shouldn't have been scoring goals but should have been providing passes to other forwards instead!

Yes, Vernon was a delightfully skilful player. The forward line of Douglas, Dobing, Dougan, Vernon, McLoed still gives me a thrill just recalling it - much more than that of any team since

Yes, Vernon was a delightfully skilful player. The forward line of Douglas, Dobing, Dougan, Vernon, McLoed still gives me a thrill just recalling it - much more than that of any team since

Ferguson McEvoy Pickering Douglas Harrison -

wasn't bad! smile.gif

Hi Bazza,

Inconsistency seems a strange charge to level at a 'midfielder' who topped the goalscorers list for four consecutive seasons and had a better goals / games ratio than almost all those on the approved list. Unless you mean he shouldn't have been scoring goals but should have been providing passes to other forwards instead!

Maybe we got spoilt when three or four times a season Dobing would play a real "blinder" yet in a lot of other games the crowd got frustrated with him.

It's only my opinion.

I hadn't realised his goals/games ratio was so good.

Anyway we both have happy memories of those "good old days". smile.gif

Ferguson McEvoy Pickering Douglas Harrison -

wasn't bad! smile.gif

And before those we had:-

Douglas (aged about 18), Crossan, Briggs, Quigley, Langton.

That wasn't bad, either.

voted for garner on the grounds of loyalty to the club and his contributions during difficult times. just shaved it over briggs and southworth.

why no ted harper on the list anyway?

You're the first one to mention him. I don't know anything about him - maybe someone can tell us?

Ted Harper signed for the rovers in 1923 and scored18 goals in42 games during his first season, he had a poor second season and lost his place. then after losing their first three matches of the 1925/26 season he was recalled and scored five against newcastle. by the end of the season he had scored 43 league goals from 37 games, at the time a football league record and still the club record.

He played once for england and was then sold in 1927 to sheff wed.returned in 1933 and retired in 1935 to join the coaching staff.

In all for the rovers he scored 122 goals in 177 games

Looking at the list i think he deserved to be shortlisted ahead of some of the people in there, but my computer has been in for repair and i couldn't stake a claim for him earlier.[ but should you run a poll for the 5 on the bench spare him a thought]

Has to be Gallacher for me. Always gave one hundred percent for the club, and linked up well with so many players. The guy had seemed to genuinely enjoy playing for Rovers and didn't jump ship as soon as we got relegated despite saying otherwise (cough Sutton cough). Added to which the guy scored some fantastic goals for us.

Incidently if Matty had not had that accident i reckon Garner would have been pushed more for that second position.

I must say I'm a bit bemused with the support for Jansen. Matty was a "good" player, but the second ever, greatest striker to wear a rovers shirt?

As a footballer [or should I say striker - because there is a difference], he was nowhere near the quality of Pickering, Byrom, Newell or Sutton. I didn't see Briggs or Southworth, so don't know how they would stand alongside Matt.

As a rovers great? - someone better explain that to me. I wouldn't know where to start.

BTW, that's just my interpretation. Everyone's different.

OK Den I'll give it a go though I didn't vote for him I've still a soft spot for the lad. I think a lot of it was right player at the right time.

Considering the glut of good strikers we'd had in the past years (Garner, Speedie, Newell, Sutton, Gally and that Shearer chap wasn't bad either) the current crop of recent strikers were somewhat disappointing to say the least. Davies Ostenstadt and Ward were hardly inspiring - Rovers needed a cult striker again. Which is where Matty came in. When the crowd called for a hero Jansen answered.

The guy took a while to find his feet at rovers but even in the relegation season he showed glimpses of the talent and potential to be one of england's top young strikers. By the time the promotion season came that potential had become evident talent.

Matty was exciting to watch, in fact one of the most exciting I've seen as a Rovers player and always looked as if he could score a goal or two. In the promotion campaign Matty rightly won player of the season hauling Rovers out of the fire on many an occassion. And some of the skill he showed was magnificent - that cheeky feint against Bolton away, that rocket shot against Norwhich at home, the fantastic solo effort fort the late winner against Birmingham - are just a few which stick in my mind. Ok it was agianst first division but the guy looked class.

Another huge plus for Jansen was that he always seemed to give 110%, a fact which became more apparent as he stepped back up to the Premiership. despite playing with grabbi and then Ostenstadt and then on his own Matty continued to score on a respectable basis. And in the premiership his work ethic became even more apparent always harrying defenders and moving about, fans knew that Matty would earn his wage.

Then there was his contribution to the Worthington cup - top scorer in the rounds leading up to the final and then he played a key role in the final scoring one and setting up the other - yep it was Matty who harried Leadly into thinking he could take three touches. Not only did Matty have the style and talent, he also wasn't afraid to work hard and be part of the team.

Finally there was his rapport with the fans. Matty always looked as if he enjoyed playing for rovers, and who else can remember his celebrations with the blackburn end after seeing off Sheff Weds to get to cardiff. Matty seemed to enjoy a special relationship with the fans, which continued and was evident through their support after his accident.

Ok since the accident Matty's been poor but the guy still gives his all. But when looking at all time greats look back to the old Matty. The exciting talented hard working matty. Speedie gave us one season - matty gave us two great seasons. Not only did Matty possess all the desirable qualities of a cult forward he came at the right time. When Rovers needed a front line hero Jansen answered. There's only one Matt Jansen!

MCXMCXCM1875 - or whatever he calls himself - is "offline" but has just texted me asking me to point out that the record scorer in derby matches (presumably he means with Burnley rather than Bolton - (that's just for you Barry)) is Jack Southworth with 12 goals.

So there you go. Like I've nothing better to be doing laugh.gif . I just hope that no one else already mentioned this very valid point as I've lost touch with this thread.

It just had to be Garner though didn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

Final result:

Matt Jansen [ 22 ] [10.28%]

Tommy Briggs [ 19 ] [8.88%]

David Speedie [ 10 ] [4.67%]

Jack Southworth [ 12 ] [5.61%]

Fred Pickering [ 3 ] [1.40%]

Roy Vernon [ 2 ] [0.93%]

Simon Garner [ 109 ] [50.93%]

Andy McEvoy [ 2 ] [0.93%]

John Byrom [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Mike Newell [ 2 ] [0.93%]