BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Other Internationals

I'm glad a Norwegian posted that comment about MGP after my more tactful comment.

MGP was worryingly poor in a very ordinary-looking Norway side. Having seen the Swedes score at will in an 8-0 win here in Malta, I was very concerned that MGP didn't use the chance to run past the Maltese clodhoppers and practise his crossing.

I am now fearing that neither of Rovers' wingers are capable of crossing a good ball into the danger area.

He doesn't seem to have the ability to get past his man and cross. This is a pretty fundamental part of the game, if you are a winger. I'd go back to having Reid and Emerton on the wings for a while. We looked alot better.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sooner we get rid of that Swedish numper the better.

I switched over and watched Wife Swap and was much more entertained.

Exactly Bryan - when wil people start to realise (4 effin million - stupid corrupt idiotic waste of money spenders no idea about Football FA)

...mmmmm could we not do a manager swap? huh.gif

And the bloody English couldn't score against that, this is the reason you guys will not win a major footballing championship any time soon.

Maybe not but at least we will qualify for them which is more than your socceroos have managed for over three decades. All you have to do is beat some fifth-rate (literally) South American team and you'd qualify but that has been beyond you so far. Thankfully FIFA still haven't given Australia an undeserved automatic qualifying spot by allowing the winners of the Oceania section a full place. Even if Blatter did make sure he was already safely re-elected by the time of his U-turn...

As for "one of the best midfields in the world"...yeah, ok. In your opinion and no one else's. Guess they will have a chance to prove it in your next all-important qualifying match against...er...the Solomon Islands. Tough qualifying schedule that. Maybe some average side like Colombia or Uruguay to lose to in the play-offs perhaps.

England may not win the next World Cup but they will almost certainly be there, they are also the only European team to reach the quarter finals of both the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004. Not exactly like watching Brazil but a damn sight better than your negative take on one (wow! one) friendly game which included Sven's usual messing about with players and, for a change, tactics this time. Andy Johnson on the right? Good one Sven...

Will Australia be there? Go on about friendlies all you like (it's what Welsh fans did a few years ago and look where that got them) but if you don't make the last 32 of the World Cup then you aren't even close to being anything special I'm afraid. There's been a lot of talk about the Australian national team as an emerging footballing power for years now but it's just been hot air so far. The USA reached the quarter finals last time; where were the Aussies?

England have an excellent squad and could certainly expect to reach the knockout stages, whether we have a manager capable of taking us any further is another question. "How bad is the English footballing team?" you asked, well we'll see at the next World Cup. Probably quite bad knowing us and Sven's recent dodgy team selections. Your lot gonna pop along as well for once?

indeed you may be right but when the socceroos squad is 100% we are definately in the best 32 teams in the world.

-------------Viduka - Kewell

Emerton - Grella - Cahill - Bresciano

Lazaridis - Moore - Popovic - Neil

---------------Schwarzer

that is a team that deserves to participate in a wc.

yeah moko was solid in the air and stepped up well. but he tries the long passes too often.

benni mccarthy is a class act.

He just got a 3 match ban.

In Portugal, that's a lot.

I'm almost sure that, if he continues acting like he has lately, he'll be sold in the summer.

Beat the 5th place in South America and you will. Shouldn't be too hard, yet you find a way to cock it up every 4 years.

Says the guy who's country gets there by beating quality sides like Trinidad and Tobago

Your qualifying campaign is equal in joke status, you guys are just lucky enough to have some influential FIFA members

3 places is a joke

And the bloody English couldn't score against that, this is the reason you guys will not win a major footballing championship any time soon.

Maybe not but at least we will qualify for them which is more than your socceroos have managed for over three decades. All you have to do is beat some fifth-rate (literally) South American team and you'd qualify but that has been beyond you so far. Thankfully FIFA still haven't given Australia an undeserved automatic qualifying spot by allowing the winners of the Oceania section a full place. Even if Blatter did make sure he was already safely re-elected by the time of his U-turn...

As for "one of the best midfields in the world"...yeah, ok. In your opinion and no one else's. Guess they will have a chance to prove it in your next all-important qualifying match against...er...the Solomon Islands. Tough qualifying schedule that. Maybe some average side like Colombia or Uruguay to lose to in the play-offs perhaps.

England may not win the next World Cup but they will almost certainly be there, they are also the only European team to reach the quarter finals of both the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004. Not exactly like watching Brazil but a damn sight better than your negative take on one (wow! one) friendly game which included Sven's usual messing about with players and, for a change, tactics this time. Andy Johnson on the right? Good one Sven...

Will Australia be there? Go on about friendlies all you like (it's what Welsh fans did a few years ago and look where that got them) but if you don't make the last 32 of the World Cup then you aren't even close to being anything special I'm afraid. There's been a lot of talk about the Australian national team as an emerging footballing power for years now but it's just been hot air so far. The USA reached the quarter finals last time; where were the Aussies?

England have an excellent squad and could certainly expect to reach the knockout stages, whether we have a manager capable of taking us any further is another question. "How bad is the English footballing team?" you asked, well we'll see at the next World Cup. Probably quite bad knowing us and Sven's recent dodgy team selections. Your lot gonna pop along as well for once?

The fifth placed team who still have more world cups trophies then England.

Unfortunately we don't get the benefit of a mirriad of qualifying games to get in

Why shouldn't you qualify playing Poland, Austria, Northern Ireland, Wales,

and Azerbaijan

Gimme a break, tell you what, how bout England put their World Cup qualification on the line in two legs against Australia?

And on the midfield point, it did Englands first and second choice all in one game wink.gif

Edited by neekoy

People forget that Argentina can sometimes be the '5th best South American team in the world'.

Imagine the uproar if the English had to play a two-leg tie against Argentina just to get into the final 32!! laugh.gif

And would any of the English here be 100% confident in their current mob of beating Uruguay, Argentina, Colombia or Brazil in a two-leg play-off?

Having said that, over two legs the only thing seperating Argentina and Australia was an Aussie own goal.

Neekoy - on paper I agree that a midfield including Kewell, Bresciano, Cahill, Grella and Emerton is world class.

But try getting them :

a) On the pitch at the same time

cool.gif Playing together regularly

c) Playing with cohesion and as a unit

IMO is the difference between Australia being an 'also-ran' and a decent footballing nation.

The tyranny of distance still hurts us. As does the mickey-mouse qualification process.

Australia plays two 'real' games every four years. Real footballing nations play about 10-20.

The only salvation for Australian football will be to create a strong domestic league. This should give Football Australia enough $$$ to go out and get a decent coach who knows how to win World Cup matches.

Unfortunately, FIFA is committed to developing Oceania as a region. And as much as we'd love to join the Asian federation, with the prospects 10 competitive games a season against strong teams like South Korea and Japan... it isn't going to happen.

FIFA use the example of Mexico and the central/North American federation. For decades, Mexico were far and away the best team in that region, and the USA and other central American/Caribbean teams were a joke.

We all now know how strong that federation is.

Of course, Mexico got automatic qualification for years as the winner of its Federation, but no-one complained then.

Yet Australia still has the problem of being champion of the only federation in the world that isn't allowed to automatically qualify.

IMO FIFA can't have it both ways. Either Oceania exists as a Federation and the champion is allowed direct entry, or disband Oceania and expand the Asian Federation.

Edited by pg

1) Note I put him last on the list.

2) He destroyed Norway a few months ago... so on his day he can do it.

3) He was useless against Uruguay.

Emerton as we know is hot and cold... but sometimes for the Green'n'Gold he can really turn it on.

Neekoy - Wow! You seriously have no better way of attracting attention than by attempting to wind people up on various threads by having a go at English sport do you? You haven't wound me up though but I will give you my two penn'orth worth.

For the last three world cups you have had to face Argentina, Iran and Uruguay in the play offs. Uruguay have not had a decent side since 1970 and Iran are frankly not very good at all now are they? Which leaves Argentina who England beat at the last World Cup, you know that one you weren't good enough to reach and where that mighty Uruguayan side that kicked your arse couldn't even get out of the group stage? Still, as they are the currently average fifth-placed South American side they may be able to knock you out again. At least then you can say to each other "Well Bruce, they did win the World Cup over half a century ago you know".

Why don't you stop being a whinging POHM and wait until your team qualifies for once instead of just blaming everyone else for your failure? Tough qualifying? Tough! Get off your backsides and do it. Dearie me. laugh.gif

Emerton - No team deserves to be in the World Cup, except maybe the hosts. Even Brazil have to qualify for this World Cup and they won the last one! I'd say Australia were definitely among the top 32 nations but they have to prove that on the pitch not on the teamsheet. Personally I'd like to see what they can do at a World Cup and I'd really like to see how the nation responded to having a team competing in the finals but let them earn it first.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

IMO FIFA can't have it both ways. Either Oceania exists as a Federation and the champion is allowed direct entry, or disband Oceania and expand the Asian Federation.

It should be the second option because it is obvious that Oceania is not a federation deserving of its own place. Don't see why Australia should be given a free ticket just because of their geography. Going into another region makes sense and would allow Australia a better standard of qualifier in which to improve.

Neekoy - Wow! You seriously have no better way of attracting attention than by attempting to wind people up on various threads by having a go at English sport do you? You haven't wound me up though but I will give you my two penn'orth worth.

Don't be daft, I am not fishing for an arguement, these are my actual opinions

If we base decent sides on what year they won the World Cup, then what year were England good?

Who cares about Quarter Finals, Semi's or Group Stages, did you win it? No.

I am not blaming anyone else for our failure, I except fully that our team could have done it and haven't lived up to expectations

You didn't respond to my question about whether you would put up Englands qualification in a two legger with Australia? No didn't think so.

The other point about Asia we can agree on and I think you are spot on, it is not our choice Fifa continues to persist with this crappy Oceania idea believe me.

You didn't respond to my question about whether you would put up Englands qualification in a two legger with Australia?  No didn't think so.

Of course not- why would I? We are on course to win this group we are in so why would I possibly want us to play Australia? Wouldn't want to play The Solomon Islands either or Brazil for that matter as there is no need. If you mean do I think England would win then I would say that most likely they would. As much of a waste of space our friendlies are we still haven't lost a qualification game under Erkisson and only France and Brazi have beaten England in 90 minutes in a proper game since he got here. England have the best squad of players at the moment since I can remember with genuine quality in every position except perhaps goalkeeper and left wing. God knows how Sven managed to get them to perform so poorly in Spain and, to a lesser extent, against the Dutch. I'd expect a tough tie but for England to win.

This is the first time for years the qualification group has been this easy for England and even then Poland are worthwhile opponents. In qualifying for other tournaments we have had to face Italy, Germany, Sweden, Turkey and so on. European qualifying is still the hardest in the world in the more difficult groups as shown by the Netherlands not reaching the last World Cup. A potential winner not even qualifying.

As for the question about your federation; seems the Asian countries don't want to have to face Australia and they won't do as Blatter seems to have gone back on his word about Oceania getting a spot. Now he can't be arsed doing anything. Re-elected so he's all right Jack.

pg - regarding Mexico, two wrongs don't make a right. The UK used to have its own qualifying spot a while ago! As an Englishman I wouldn't mind bringing that back! Having seen Scotland recently I would say that is as close to a guaranteed place as you ever likely to see.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

It is a ridiculous thing to say that Australia are a better team than England. The friendly, despite being an excellent performance by the socceroos, does not prove much.

England currently have more world class players and a stronger all round squad than at any time since I dont know when. Ferdinand, Campbell, Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Rooney and Owen would all get in to almost any team in the world. Even rat face Neville can be said to be world class. Wright Phillips, Downing, Terry, King, Smith and De Foe all look like real prospects too.

I just hope Sven can make it work. With players like that we should be looking at the semi finals as the bare minimum in the next world cup. It would be a real travesty if such a golden era of english talent is wasted. The only weak link is the goal keeper and the left wing.

We need to find a system, 442 preferably, make it work and stick to it.

Oh I do love making up formations:

Owen    Rooney

Downing     Gerrard     Lampard     Beckham

Cole       Ferdinand   Campbell    Neville

Robinson

Subs:  James, Terry, Bridge, Hargreaves/Jenas, SWP, Defoe, Smith

That is one hell of a side, Sven just needs the balls to pull Beckham off and stick SWP on if he is underperforming. Similar goes for Owen and Defoe.

Also, get us to pass the bloody ball and retain possession!

ps. what is even more encouraging is that the next world cup will only be the last for three players in the side, and for those obvious replacements seem to be maturing: SWP for Beckham, Terry for Campbell and Glenn Johnson for Neville.

A good time to be an England fan.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Finally managed to see short highlights from the Germany/Argentina match and im reasonably impressed (especially after the Euros blink.gif ). If we had a decent goalkeeper who isnt an egotistical idiot id expect us to reach the final of the next WC with the home advantage. Would worry about competitive matchs against the English and Dutch, both sides that raise their game against us.

Sticking up for the English it does seem that the main problem they have is the media, i would have said were it not for the tabloids they would have won a major trophy in the past ten years. They do seem to raise their game against the sides the English media see as 'big' games - notably Germany, France and Argentina. If they can get through their WC group they will do well in the knockouts.

I'd say that the US (which hasn't lost to Mexico in a competitive match since 1998), Mexico, and Costa Rica could all beat Australia.

with usa and aus both havign full strength sides i doubt it, but thats your opinion.

and by the way australia is a class behind england's current side. no forgetting that friendly was like 2 years ago....

Edited by emerton

I'd say that the US (which hasn't lost to Mexico in a competitive match since 1998), Mexico, and Costa Rica could all beat Australia.

Do you base that of the fact the US has never beaten us, Mexico once in 5 outings or that we have never played Costa Rica in history? ph34r.gif

and by the way Australia is a class behind England's current side. no forgetting that friendly was like 2 years ago....

ON PAPER England have always had more class

ON PAPER England have close to the best team in the world

ON PAPER England have the best midfield in the world

It's about backing that talent up that counts, something they continually fail to do

It is quite obvious they place to much pressure on their football players for success

I think moves abroad for some players would prove most beneficial

and by the way Australia is a class behind England's current side. no forgetting that friendly was like 2 years ago....

ON PAPER England have always had more class

ON PAPER England have close to the best team in the world

ON PAPER England have the best midfield in the world

It's about backing that talent up that counts, something they continually fail to do

It is quite obvious they place to much pressure on their football players for success

I think moves abroad for some players would prove most beneficial

as flb said before australia is the same, with a full strength side on paper should be probably in the top 20 teams. but we cant put it together on the park

but with an incompetant manager unwilling to give th young guns a go, we are gonna have players in their prime (26-28) without an international cap.

took him too long to play bresciano, and its taking him too long to play kisnorbo, mckain, mcdonald, culina etc

Took a while for you guys to get the goals though. How did MGP play?

MGP was rubbish.

As was the rest of the team for that matter.

He better play better against Norwich though or he might as well go sit on the bench again.

Ha ha, isnt hindsight a wonderful thing!! tinykit.gif

Actually, I'd say that Australia's best eleven is almost as good as England's best eleven.

I would regard your best defenders as better than ours, but in terms of keepers, forwards and midfielders I think it is swings and roundabouts.

The difference between the two nations (and between Australia and most football powers) is the strength in depth.

England has Wayne Bridge as a 2nd-choice left back. We have Kevin Muscat.

England's best 22 is far superior than Australia's.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.