SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

To Hell And Back. Dingles 0 v Rovers 0

Ste B

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this ready a couple of days ago but didn't want to post it on the other thread as it was going downhill so.........

.... I've read in a few different places Burnley fans saying they don;t feel our team on Sunday is as good as that of December 2000. Therefore I thought I'd compare the two teams:-

Friedal 2005 V Friedal 2000

Remember when Brad signed. The general feeling was why get in a guy that failed at liverpool when Filan is doing so well. However over the last 5 years we've seen the difference between a good keeper and a great keeper. However I have to say that over the last 12 months Brad's standards haven't been of the same quality as his previous 3 years. Don't get me wrong he's still very good but i feel that 5 years ago, when he was taking the full force of Paytons crude, deperate lunging studs on his thigh, he was slightly better.

Rovers New 0 - 1 Rovers Old

Neil V Curtis

In 2000 we thought Curtis was Prem class. However he mysteriously disappeared from sight once we got promoted leading us to believe he wasn't good enough. Or was he another Souness fallout? His career since Rovers maybe proves it was the former. Neill is hardly great but takes this one.

Rovers New 1 - 1 Rovers Old

Todd V Taylor

I've put Toddy up against Taylor to help the current squad's cause wink.gif because despite being our best defender he isn't going to beat a 2000 model Berg!

RN 2 - 1 RO

Nelson V Berg

Sorry Ryan!

2-2

Nissa V Bjornebye

Sorry but I think Stig takes it. His distributions was woeful but a defenders job should be first of all to defend and on this score he's better than Johannsen at full back. I can't recall a winger actually skinning him and his positional sense (and his offside awareness - watch the norwich highlights again and watch Nissa play them onside for every 1st half chance) make him the choice.

2-3

MGP V Duff

Poor old Morten. Brought in early season with the task of replacing Duffer he never really had a chance. There are very few players who could waltz through defences like the mercurial Irishman and for the next few years the Rovers faithful are probably going to compare every other left winger to him. MGP has had more pages than Savage and Ferguson without even playing and even managed to bring Anglo - Norwegian relations on the board to breaking point. And now he's up against Duff here aswell. Poor Morten. sad.gif

RN 2 -4 RO

Emerton V McAteer

If we're talking the McAteer that shone like a beacon on Turf Moor in December 2000 then Emertons knackered. However most of the other time Jason flattered to live up to his Liverpool gloryboy image. Emerton also has failed to live up to expectations but may be suffering fromthe 'Duffer' syndrome (see above). Brett takes it - but not by much.

3-4

Tugay V Dunn

Tugay when he first arrived would be prefered over the pie-munching Dunny that we offloaded to Birmingham. However Tugs has now got a bit older and started to confide in his invisible friend a bit more these days and, back in 2000, Dunn was still a hot England prospect who seemed to be able to run a bit. His contribution to our promotion was immense IMO and takes this battle.

3-5

Savage V 2000 model Flitcroft

I've put 2000 model Flitcroft but to be honest there's not much difference because Flitty never had pace. The only major change is we now know what he was doing in his spare time back then wink.gif . We were told that Savage had more to his game than passion , energy and running but as yet I've yet to see it in a Blue and White shirt. However that's roughly what Flitcroft has been about over the last 9 years and i think Sav takes it.

4-5

Gallacher V Bent

Time may prove Gally to be the better player. However on prem form at the minute it's Marcus who I'd rather see back in blue and white. However back in 2000 he didn;t look the player that he seems now. I'm going to call this a draw.

4-5

Dickov V Hughes

Sparky still put in the effort but, unless it was a cup final, his mobility was seriously hampered by the time he arrived a Ewood. Dickov certainly doesn't suffer from the same problem. He can be as petulant as Hughesy too!

FINAL SCORE

Current Rovers 5 - 5 Old Rovers

Therefore by my calculations we should win 2-0 !!!!

Interesting contribution. I think you've been a bit generous putting Emerton against McAteer. Jason had done it at the top level for Bolton and to some extent Liverpool, and did it on the day for us. Emerton has done nothing yet at the top level and I fear will do nothing on Sunday.

Also, if you had gone into the subs, we have no-one of Jansen's calibre to step up if we need something more upfront. So for me, the 2000 Rovers wins.

But I do buy Gav's point about the toughness of the '05 side and also their fitness. We should be fitter than them, and will not tire on their pudding of a pitch, and we certainly won't be intimidated by them, which really negates the only two weapons that a lower division side can bring to the party.

Rovers to win 1-0 MGP

I don't know or care what prediction anyone predicts, just as long as it's a Rovers win.

It'd be un-thinkable to lose against them. We are better them, I think.

Our players over there's, I'd take ours anyday.

What is crucial is the first 10/15 minutes of both halfs depending on the score.

Burnley are going to be at us from the first whistle. We're the bully-boys, so let's bully them a bit, if we can match their physical ability, which I'm conifdent we will then we will win.

Team -

Friedel

Neill - Nelsen - Todd - Nissa

Brett - Savage - Reid - MGP

Dickov - Gally

Reason I've dropped Tugay and put in Reid is that I believe Reid will be up for it. Reid's been in derby games like Burnley v Rovers with Millwall.

Reid's more physical than Tugay and for an hour could be the key. Although I'd bring Tugay on with half n hour to go.

Can't wait.

LET Cummings

Three-quarters of the sell-out crowd will be desperate for a long overdue success against our most bitter rivals,
I've a feeling he may be wrong there. Spoken to a number of people this week who are going but have tickets in the home areas.

Spoke to Nicky Reid tonight, and his feeling was he just can't see Burnley stopping Rovers from scoring, this after I'd suggested should Burnley score first we may find it very difficult to get in front.

Me I have no idea who is going to win. Of course I want the Claret's to be victorious, of course I hope they are going to be. When we drew Liverpool I fully expected them to beat us, victory was a pleasant, very pleasant surprise smile.gif

My prediction is a Burnley victory. But it's a win - win situation for us cool.gif

My prediction is a Burnley victory. But it's a win - win situation for us cool.gif

But that isn't really true is it? I mean yes losing to Liverpool would have been ok because it's just one of those things but no proper Burnley fan can say that losing will be ok on Sunday as it's expected. In fact it would appear that a good few clarets think they have every chance.

I don't do predictions and won't this time but I will say that whilst i'm a bit nervous I am very positive because of how Hughes will send them out and because we don't have the kind of players that will take it easy. Don't let us down.

Me I have no idea who is going to win. Of course I want the Claret's to be victorious, of course I hope they are going to be. When we drew Liverpool I fully expected them to beat us, victory was a pleasant, very pleasant surprise smile.gif

You're right in saying it's a win win situation for you.

I have a few mates who are Burnley season ticket holders and they all say that they're confident of beating us.

But I'd say there's a big difference in Rovers first team compared to Liverpool's reserves.

I just hope we win, everyone will be wanting us to lose.

LET Cummings
Three-quarters of the sell-out crowd will be desperate for a long overdue success against our most bitter rivals,
I've a feeling he may be wrong there. Spoken to a number of people this week who are going but have tickets in the home areas.

Spoke to Nicky Reid tonight, and his feeling was he just can't see Burnley stopping Rovers from scoring, this after I'd suggested should Burnley score first we may find it very difficult to get in front.

here we go again with the rovers will have half the stands nonesense.

Last time you couldn;t sell 4000 and this time - if you are to be believed - you have not only sold around 12000 tickets but 8000 of those people have queued at Burnley to get them

Nonesense -

LET Cummings

Last time you couldn;t sell 4000 and this time - if you are to be believed - you have not only sold around 12000 tickets but 8000 of those people have queued at Burnley to get them

Nonesense -

You do bite easily don't you?

Incidentally, Hell isn't Turf Moor and never has been - it's a small place just to the east of Trondheim, Norway. I was bound for Sweden by train a few years ago. The train left Hell Station, carried on for a few hundred yards and then reversed all the way back. I think the train driver did it for a laugh as everyone found it amusing saying they'd now been to Hell and back. True (but boring) story. tongue.gif

LET Cummings

Nonesense -

Jeez you clarrots even exaggerate when you talk about OUR attendances. No one on here has suggested any such thing. Some have said there will be Rovers fans in the home end and I think there will be but come on LS1882 don't get silly.

Cool Clarrot downplaying the importance of this game to them. Many of them will do that incase they lose but they will mouth off just as much as any of the others if they win. There is a name for that but I can't remember it.

Just makes me want to win even more, many clarrots are EXPECTING to win.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.