BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 5 Favourite Teams

My local team is Young Boys Berne (YB). I used to go to the matches when I was a little boy. And now I started to do that again. Like this I can see some live football games for little money. They will have a new stadium this summer because of the Euro 08 in Switzerland/Austria. The whole town of Bern is really excited about that.

There are always teams that you like more than others. I actually dislike almost every big team all over the world and I like to see them beaten by a small club. e.g. last year I really hoped that Wisla Krakow would kick Real Madrid out of the CL-Q. I was once in Krakow and really liked it there.

But there's no way that another team could stop me from my love and affection for Rovers. Rovers will always be number one tinykit.gif

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a soft spot for the clubs I've visited with Rovers away in Europe. We've met some great people on our travels and because of them I now enjoy to see the following teams do well in their leagues:

1) Olympic Lyonnaise

2) CSKA Sofia

3) Celtic

4) Gençlerbirliği

I have a maissve antipathy for 'big' clubs who essentially bully teams with their financial clout.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

A valid and important point.

but probably not one that Rovers fans can make!

I knew some one would say that. Nonsense!!!

Rovers did not go out and buy established international superstars in the early nineties, like Chelsea and Man Utd are now. Indeed we bought much lower profile players than Man Utd did then too (Cantona anyone?).

Shearer

Le Saux

Sherwood

Ripley

Sutton

Wilcox

Were all talented up and coming players, not people at the top of their game. It was intelligent management rather than raw economics which won us the title.

Batty could be said to be a well respected player when he moved, while Shearer and Sutton were recognised outstanding talents but still!

We had the financial backing but we were not massively outspending the other big clubs (look at Cole's 7 million transfer in '95 and shearer's 15 million).

We were not operating with kind of advantage that Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal can exercise now.

Rant over.

i only support one footy team and that is rovers ( apart from internationally, england).

but in other sports :

Dallas Cowboys - NFL

Dallas Stars - NHL

Geelong football club - Aussie rules

Melbourne Storm - Australian Rugby Leage

Canterbury Crusaders - Rugby Union new zealand

Can you sort something out for me?

I caught the rugby league world final and the commetator constantly referred to canterbury being australian. I had an arguement with my flat mate where I said they were from New Zealand and he said that the commentator was right. Was I right, or is there another canterbury in australia?

If not that is some shocking research done by the commentating team.

Edited by joey_big_nose

I have a maissve antipathy for 'big' clubs who essentially bully teams with their financial clout.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

A valid and important point.

but probably not one that Rovers fans can make!

I knew some one would say that. Nonsense!!!

Rovers did not go out and buy established international superstars in the early nineties, like Chelsea and Man Utd are now. Indeed we bought much lower profile players than Man Utd did then too (Cantona anyone?).

Shearer

Le Saux

Sherwood

Ripley

Sutton

Wilcox

Were all talented up and coming players, not people at the top of their game. It was intelligent management rather than raw economics which won us the title.

Batty could be said to be a well respected player when he moved, while Shearer and Sutton were recognised outstanding talents but still!

We had the financial backing but we were not massively outspending the other big clubs (look at Cole's 7 million transfer in '95 and shearer's 15 million).

We were not operating with kind of advantage that Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal can exercise now.

Rant over.

I agree that it was a decent amount of money very well spent rather than an enormous amount of money randomly spent (as with Chelsea) but we did have the financial muscle to break the transfer record twice and without it we wouldn't have come close to the title, that's all.

But as I said first time, your point is totally valid and very important - this game will go to the dogs before long if the money probelm is not sorted.

i only support one footy team and that is rovers ( apart from internationally, england).

but in other sports :

Dallas Cowboys - NFL

Dallas Stars - NHL

Geelong football club - Aussie rules

Melbourne Storm - Australian Rugby Leage

Canterbury Crusaders - Rugby Union new zealand

if OTHER sports count:

Dallas Stars - hockey

Dallas Mavericks - basketball

Tennessee Titans - football

Boston Red Sox - baseball

Apart from Rovers, I like Southampton as they represent the City I was born in.

I also look out for Steaua Bucharest results as I had a great time in the UEFA Cup against them and mainly the other local teams in my area such as Bournemouth.

I also like to see if Portsmouth get thrashed biggrin.gif

Ooh I remember that day well. Starting on The Pleasure Beach oh how we laughed, and if I remember right you got scared and held my hand. Then onto dinner at Harry Ramsden's.... wait a minute huh.gif ... I think I may have got the wrong person ph34r.gif

ph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

You must be confusing me with Duff, who likes Young Boys.

Mind you, Blackpool does seem a bit "fruity" from what I can tell (got chatted up once or twice).

in this order:

1- SL Benfica

2- AD Lousada (home town club)

3- AC Milan (Rui Costa "plays" there)

4- Deportivo (small team that did well and is from Galiza)

5- Whomever plays against FC Porto, Sporting Portugal or any team that is competing for a place against Rovers.

FC Porto cos theyve played in blue and white halves the odd season. desperately want that kit, anyone know the last season they played in halves (Oklahoma...) tinykit.gif

Don't remind me of that!

I passed from everyone asking from which team was the shirt I was wearing to being confused as a Porto supporter.

Terrible.

Anyway, I'll see what I can find.

When I lived in Lancs I used to enjoy watching a game at Blackpool, Preston, Wigan or even Morecambe when Rovers were away at the other end of the country. I'd say those 4 (exclude Wigan if they come up next time, of course).

More to the point are the teams I always hope will lose. The Dingles go without saying, and the other Prem relegation battlers (this time Palace, Soton, WBA & Norwich - maybe also Fulham & Birmingham if we are to move up). I like to see Chelski lose because of that tosser of a manager, and ManUre of course (same reason). I like to see Birmingham lose because of the bad blood over the Savage transfer, and also Newcastle because of Sourness. And Rangers, with their pathetic new ball boy, Ferguson... that's a lot of hatred, I think I'll stop now!

1. Rovers

2. DC United

3. Dinamo Kiev

4. Arsenal - in Argentina that is

5. anyone playing against Manure

I'm doing this given that someone asked. However, I also agree with the notion that in football, there are no "second" teams to support.

I like Debs' answer best of all.... I think it 's the answer that fits in in the best spirit of the question.... she's named some clubs that she's come into contact with in one way or another as a Rovers' supporter.

I suppose not many of us can make that particular answer... a true Rovers supporter !!! thumbs-up.gif

M'lady, my hat is off to you!

Rebelzero-

4. Arsenal - in Argentina that is

Why on earth ohmy.gif it's not like they're even televised- in fact, if Argentine Federation funds hadn't been diverted there (the 'founders of the club are the Grondonas, yes, the Grondona that runs the Arg. Football Fed) the club would be wallowing in the 5th division. Besides, that, if the team could play with 15 men-they'd be lined up across the goalmouth such is their tactics.

I only check results or follow 2 clubs: Rovers & San Lorenzo de Almagro in Buenos Aires. That only because my Grandfather had a spell there in the early 1930's and if I didn't my father would have left me out on a doorstep or worse- left me to the wonts of my mother's side of the family tree (yes, tree dwelling Boca Juniors' faithful). Folks if you have access to Copa Libertadores matches in the upcoming months, I ask you to watch San Lorenzo, they feature 5 starters from the current U-20 side that's going to win the World Championships in Holland this summer.

Anyway, fun thread. But remember- Rovers Uber alle !!!!

1) ROVERS:- Lived in Blackburn/Darwen 1949 to 1979.

2) Preston N.E.:- Born in Preston and watched my first ever Football League match at Deepdale. 1946 to 1949.

3) Dunfermline Athletic:- Season ticket holder. Lived in or around Fife since 1980 to present.

4) Cowdenbeath:- Little local 3rd Div team of part-time triers with average home gate of around 200. They NEED me.

5) Accrington Stanley:- Nice to see them making a real bid to regain F.L. status.

Great Harwood town - Live in Gt Harwood and all the players in those leagues all give 100% and play for the love of the game.

Halifax Town - worked there for a bit and watched them a few times. My mate supports them and used to travel miles on a Tuesday evening to watch non league footy. Proper supporters unlike your glory hunting man U and Chelsea @#/?!

Crewe - Always respected them for the way they played football and survived on limited finances. Also got some great players for Rovers from them on early Champ Managers thumbs-up.gif

Carlisle - don't know really? huh.gif

Bury - went a couple of times during the 'fans united' thing when they were skint.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.