BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

philipl

half time barca 0 - 1 chelsea. gd game so far chelsea after not goin near the barca penalty area hav started to look stronger and stronger. they're probably a little lucky to go in with a lead at half time but im not complaining. also chelseas goal created by our very own Damien Duff

GR8

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Hate to tell you this, but he's not ours anymore.

Plus, cut out the txt speak.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, what a turn up! Liverpool finally look something like. Chelsea cheated out of a great result by Anders (pretty boy look at me!) Frisk whilst the Mancs and Arsenal simply abdicated.

Isn't it about time the Mancs and Arsenal learnt that charity begins at home? Carroll and Toure blunders should be saved for when the Rovers play them rather than gift goals to AC and Bayern who are perfectly capable of tonking them without any gratuitous help.

Liverpool are capable of blowing their lead by the Rhine whilst England's top 3 are probably already all on their way out.

I still think Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool will go through

Before Chelsea got reduced to 10 men Barca didnt look like scoring.

Arsenal would never allow themselves to play that bad against Bayern 2 times in a row and will be very happy about the late goal.

Liverpool at 3-0 ahead.

And im writing Man Utd off but a 1-0 deficit is never enough to be comfortable and you can never ever write RFW off.

Can someone explain why they support the English teams in Europe? And, before anyone has a go, I'm not having a pop just really interested to know the reasons.

I enjoy watching these games, but don't ever really root for one team or the other (except for last night when I wanted Utd and Barca to win, but that was to do with having money on the games not anything else - I was rooting for Wigan for the exact same reason - doesn't mean I prefer them to Coventry)

I know that I am not the most patriotic guy in the world - i struggle to get truly excited by the national team - but I can at least understand why other people do. But not with club sides. These clubs aren't representing England - they are making themselves even more money to further ruin the competiveness of the league in which my team plays. In my eyes it's like wanting Burnley to win (except aginst us - obviously), cos they are a Lancashire team!

I know that I am not the most patriotic guy in the world - i struggle to get truly excited by the national team.

I think that's answered your question. It''s the patriotism for England that means we'll support a team for the good of the country.

Bizarelly we might only have Liverpool to cheer on in the next round sad.gif

I know that I am not the most patriotic guy in the world - i struggle to get truly excited by the national team.

I think that's answered your question. It''s the patriotism for England that means we'll support a team for the good of the country.

Bizarelly we might only have Liverpool to cheer on in the next round sad.gif

But this is the point that I struggle with. Why is it patriotic to support Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool or Man Utd when they play in Europe? Why is it for the good of the country?

They are only really representing themselves and their fans, not the country. TBH I'm not sure any of those teams can really be classed as being particularly English when you consider the nationality of the majority of the playing and coaching staff (maybe Utd at a push!)

I live in Sheffield. At the moment much of the talk round here is of Sheff Utd's good cup run. Do you think that Wednesday fans were sat at home rooting for Utd to beat Arsenal on Saturday 'cos it's nice to see a Sheffield team do well'? I don't think so. Were you rooting for Burnley last night against Derby cos it's good for Lancashire teams to do well?

I just don't understand why people who normally dislike the so-called big boys, suddenly become big fans when they play in a European competition.

I agree, it is not because of the English that the English premier league is so good. Why don't you go for Madrid because of Beckham and Owen or FC Bayern because of Hargreaves?

Unless bloody Blackburn are in there I don't go for any English teams, even if they do have Australians i.e Kewell

Right on DaveyB wink.gif

But this is the point that I struggle with. Why is it patriotic to support Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool or Man Utd when they play in Europe? Why is it for the good of the country?

They are only really representing themselves and their fans, not the country. TBH I'm not sure any of those teams can really be classed as being particularly English when you consider the nationality of the majority of the playing and coaching staff (maybe Utd at a push!)

I live in Sheffield. At the moment much of the talk round here is of Sheff Utd's good cup run. Do you think that Wednesday fans were sat at home rooting for Utd to beat Arsenal on Saturday 'cos it's nice to see a Sheffield team do well'? I don't think so. Were you rooting for Burnley last night against Derby cos it's good for Lancashire teams to do well?

I just don't understand why people who normally dislike the so-called big boys, suddenly become big fans when they play in a European competition.

I think it's because most English fans want other countries to view our league as being up there with the Spanish and Italian ones. If all the English teams go out of Europe early then it'll just confirm other European fans thoughts that we have an inferior league to them, wheras if we have some English teams doing well then it looks good for us.

I don't particularly care if Arsenal, Chelsea or Man Utd win the Champions League, but I am hoping they all give a better showing of themselves in their return games. At the moment, English teams as a whole just look stupid after their performances, seen as those teams are supposed to be the best we have to offer.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of intriguing 2nd leg return games tonight.

I'm hoping that AC Milan can keep up their excellent home record in Europe to knock out the Red Scum.

Milan haven't lost a knockout match at home in the European Cup since 1979.

Johan Cruyff, meanwhile, has launched a strong attack on Chelsea's defensive style of play.

The Dutch legend says that defensive tactics are a blight on the modern game and that he hates teams who score one goal and then shut up shop.

(Chelsea have won nine Premiership games 1-0 this season. I'm sure every Chelsea fan would be delighted with a 1-0 win tonight.)

Cruyff though says that Chelsea's defensive play is a "turn off" and that it makes him loathe football.

I wonder if he's heard the chorus of the old Elvis Costello tune: "I don't want to go to Chelsea, oh no!"

Its midnight here and I was just reading on the BBC about Moaninghow, Chelsea and refs and it suddenly hit home that I don't actually give a toss about Chelsea and actually would quite like them to go out. I think it's just that I've heard enough about M to last a lifetime.

Strangely I want Man U to win... and Arsenal ... and Liverpool......

these are indeed strange times

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.