Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

philipl

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Chelsea v Barcelona

Sometimes it's a privilege to watch a game of football.

Some games are just meant to be.

This was one of them. Enthralling from the first minute to the last.

Well done Chelsea. Oh, and AC Milan! biggrin.gif

Edited by PABBY

I was upset that Robben wasn't fit because I had been relishing watching Chelsea in the form they were in when the draw was announced playing Barcelona in all their glory too but tonight was a fantastic match without Robben so go on Chelsea do it for England and Duffer well what can you say we all knew how good he was and now he's got the stage he deserves and relishes, will be fantastic when he lifts that trophy it'll be success for many people especially Kenny Dalglish, the acadamy staff and everyone who has worked with him! We should all be very proud, just a shame he couldn't fulfill it with Rovers, ten years earlier and who knows!!!

I have to say though apart from missing the foul for the winner I thought Collina and his 'assistants' were very biased against Chelsea. Any nudge by a Chelsea forward on a defender was a free-kick but that wasn't the case the other way round.

Did the English Prem a huge amount of credit.

Did anybody see Kevler Keegan's comments today.

I seem to remember reading much the same on this site a year or so ago.

I seem to remember posting much the same on this site a year or so ago.

However good the game tonight do not doubt the effect this competition is having on Blackburn Rovers and all outside the top three of the Premiership.

Most of you here are massive football fans who have a huge appetite for the game.

Those more easily sated armchairfattiefootballerfansforthememories get their fill from games like this and so will not be bothered to waddle down to Ewood on Sunday.

The lower gates of teams from Everton all the way down in the Premiership results to a large degree from the ever increasing gulf of the "haves" from the "have nots" making the less committed fans stay at home to vote for " I'm a zzzzzzlevel celebrity give me the money " where they have a far better chance of backing a winner.

And who do you think the Blackburn born 'n' bred kids of those fans end up supporting? ( clue - they were playing tonight........)

Sorry to be a kill-joy ( NOT ) but if you care for the future health of the premiership and Blackburn Rovers part in it then we all need to join in with Keegan and either reduce the chumpions league to a knock out cup competition from the start or to ensure that it becomes a league for teams who DO NOT play in their own national leagues that season.

Then we could enjoy brilliant games like tonight without colluding in the decline of what was - maybe still is, but not for much longer - the most exciting and competitive league in the world.

Carvalho, the cheating swine.

The worst aspect of the match was, predictably, the commentary team of Clive "COME ON CHELSEA!" Tyldsley and Andy "Boy, those Republic of Ireland caps feel like a long time ago now" Townsend.

After the breathless cry from Clive of "what odds would you have got on Collina giving a dubious decision against Chelsea?" after Ferreria had punched the ball into orbit, the only reference to the blatant obstruction by Carvalho on the keeper was Townsend saying something to the effect of "you know those bloody Spaniards are having the audacity to suggest the keeper was being fouled...and he wasn't" (Yes he was, andy). Phew, that was a long sentence. You'd think I'd get used to it. At least Man U are out.

rover.gif was working so i have just seen the highlights the goal by goofy was fantastic, to see duff plying his trade for someone else is heartbreaking,but i was glad he won.as for collina,a friend off mine was on the same flight as him from tokoyo - sapporo before the england - argentina game and he loves the english.and i am a very happy man as the chelsea win has put the cheltenham kitty back to bulging tinykit.gif

I agree with Tashor's thoughts on the ever increasing gulf between the "haves" and the "have nots".

Cracking game though tonight. Full of goals and entertainment...

Southend beat Bristol Rovers 4-3 on aggregate in the LDS Van Trophy semi-final...

Down at the Bridge, it wasn't a bad game either...

I've been critical of Chelsea's style of play in some of their games this season, but I must admit they played some good attacking football tonight. Joe Cole was excellent in the first half, although he faded a bit in the second.

Carvalho, the cheating swine.

It definitely looked like a foul by Carvalho for Chelsea's 4th goal. Collina missed it.

Another key moment of the game was in the second half with the score at 3-2 - when Eto'o blazed the ball over the bar from close range after Iniesta's shot hit the post. The otherwise impressive Eto'o should have scored. It was a bad miss.

What a shame - wanted Barca to win. Oh well.

I feel the same way as well Bryan.

But no complaints from me tonight about Chelsea's style of play (apart from Carvalho's antics at the corner.)

Some of Barca's passing and movement from Ronaldhino and Eto'o was excellent to watch.

Elsewhere, it was nice to see a downcast Sir Alex leave the San Siro after a defeat. Time's running out now for the odious Roy Keane if he wants to get his hands on a Champions League medal. (He was suspended for the 1999 win.)

Hopefully the Irishman will retire in a couple of seasons time regretting his lack of European Cup medals.

In the other game tonight, Lyon thrashed a woeful Werder Bremen 7-2. It's not the biggest ever win in the Champions League though - last season Monaco beat Deportivo 8-3.

It will be interesting to see if Arsenal can overcome their two goal deficit against Bayern.

In the other game tonight, Lyon thrashed a woeful Werder Bremen 7-2. It's not the biggest ever win in the Champions League though - last season Monaco beat Deportivo 8-3.

It look like the same margin to me huh.gif

The lower gates of teams from Everton all the way down in the Premiership results to a large degree from the ever increasing gulf of the "haves" from the "have nots" making the less committed fans stay at home to vote for " I'm a zzzzzzlevel celebrity give me the money " where they have a far better chance of backing a winner.

And who do you think the Blackburn born 'n' bred kids of those fans end up supporting? ( clue - they were playing tonight........)

Sorry to be a kill-joy ( NOT ) but if you care for the future health of the premiership and Blackburn Rovers part in it then we all need to join in with Keegan and either reduce the chumpions league to a knock out cup competition from the start or to ensure that it becomes a league for teams who DO NOT play in their own national leagues that season.

That is an interesing point whaich I agree with.

Football as it is is not sustainable. If in five years it is still the same three teams dominating the league attendances will fall dramatically.

This will come to a head, Keegan is only acknowledging a point obvious to all involved in the game. It is only a metter of time berfore te teams outside the top sixteen or so in Europe start putting pressure on Uefa to start spreading the money round more evenly.

Only two possible outcomes in my mind, either a breakaway european "super league" or a redistribution of money. Within the next ten years this will happen- market forces dictate it.

Personally I would hope we can keep the Premierleague in its current format, but theree is little chance Man Utd, Barcelona, Munich, Milan etc. will give up their money without a fight.

Edited by joey_big_nose

The best two teams in world football right now put on one hell of a show.

Credit to Rijkaard and Barca to pick themselves up from 3-0 down as it could easily have gone to 5-0 at that point.

Chelsea a little lucky to score the winner at the time,but well deserved.

This Chelsea side today with pretty much the same players as last year is miles stronger and more tactically advanced than last years.

TERRY,CARVALHO and LAMPARD were brilliant.

Did the English Prem a huge amount of credit.

Did anybody see Kevler Keegan's comments today.

I seem to remember reading much the same on this site a year or so ago.

I seem to remember posting much the same on this site a year or so ago...............

Me too. The sooner Arsenal, Utd and Chelsea disappear into a European Super league the better. Two questions about it though:

1. A Euro league will be televised, possibly every game, so will that sate the armchair masses? If so they ain't going to Ewood on Sunday.

2. Without the big names would the crowds return because the league would be more competitive? Big question. I'm not sure the lack of competitiveness in the PL is THE problem.

Three fabulous games last night- especially at Stamford Bridge which was football as close to being as good as it gets. Would that game have been as good or as special had it been a European super league encounter as opposed to a knock out?

Very much doubt it.

My gut feel is that the club competition balance is about right at the moment except for FIFA/Sven getting in the way.

Other than games in London where every club has its own away following (including 9,000 "from" Barcelona last night who shared about 1,500 airline seats between them) a Euro Super League would be a sterile TV concoction and largely devoid of away following.

The aspect which is killing the domestic game is the predatory transfer policies of the "big clubs".

The last thing they want is for middle ranking clubs to come through and damage their hold on the £15m a year Champions League gravy train.

Hence, clubs that are threats are raided of their talent- Duff from Rovers, Parker from Charlton, Rooney/Gravesen from Everton and this summer Gerard from Liverpool.

It is this aspect as much as the financial divide that is ruining the modern game.

can I just say that Joe Cole is a diving, stroppy little tw*t - we saw it at Ewood and we saw it again last night. mad.gif

Agreed. As is duff. He kept falling over and Collina was constantly telling him to get up.

Chelsea were very lucky to get the goal. Barca were class and but for Eto missing a very easy chance by his standards it would of and should of been all over for Chelsea.

Ronaldhino showed again why he is world player of the year. He is amazing. The goal he took was class and made Cech look daft.

I was delighted to see United go out last night. It is all worth it when you see Ferguson's face, when he realises that his team just aren't good enough! As for Chelseas, I would have like them to have lost, just to shut Mourinho up. Some of the football that has been played in the Champions League has been awesome. I think that either Ac Milan or Juventus will win the competition.

I have to say i disagree with anybody that does not support the english teams in the champions league. At the end of the day an english team doing well in europe who ever they are is good for the english game.

Last nights game was honestly one of the finest games i've seen in my life, had it all really, and i'm not going to lie I did cheer when terry scored. Not ashamed at all.

You never boyz we could be back there one day!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.