BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton 0 V Rovers 1

With Rovers safely in the quarter finals of the FA Cup (thankyou MGP!!!!) we turn our attentions back to the league. I don't think many would have expected Everton to be 4th in the league with 10 games of the season left. Our seasons have been completely different. We have been battling with relegation for the majority of the season, whilst Everton are surprise Champions League contenders.

Latest Form

Their last game saw them win 3-1 away at Villa which was a good way to get back to winning ways considering the defeat last weekend in the cup to Man U. Two goals from Leon Osman and one from Cahill saw Everton take another away victory. Their form this season has been quite impressive losing only 7 games.

We also won our last league game, although the 3-0 victory over Norwich seems quite a long time ago. It is going to take a couple of other victories like this to really pull away from the danger zone.

Previous Games

The game between the two teams at Ewood was a boring affair ending in a 0-0 stalemate.

In the three seasons since Rovers returned to the premiership, one team has always come out on top in this fixture by doing the double over the other.

In 2001/02, an extremely goal from Grabbi!!! secured a narrow home win, whilst goals from Jansen and Cole saw us beat Everton in their last home game of the season. I distinctly remember the Everton team coming back out after the game to say ‘thankyou’ to the fans but by that time most of the Everton fans had all gone home sulking at the poor season they’d had.

In 2002/03, Everton won both games 1-0 at Ewood and 2-1 at Goodison. Both games must have been rubbish because I cant remember anything about them!

Last season it was Rovers’ turn again. At home Babbel and Yorke game Rovers an early lead, which despite a goal from Radzinski we held onto. This game Rovers our first home victory since the 5-1 drubbing of Wolves on the first day of the season. Then at Goodison a 1-0 victory saw Rovers well on their way to securing premiership survival for another year with a goal from Stead.

In previous seasons the game that sticks out is the 2-1 victory on April fools day in 95. Sutton scored within the first minute to get Rovers off to a great start, followed by a Shearer goal. Rovers then spent the rest of the game hanging on, but did successfully and was an important away victory on the road to winning the league.

The Opposition

I asked my mate J to answer a few questions about the game.

I think its safe to say that Everton have been a bit of a surprise package at the top end of the league this season, following the departure of Rooney. Why do you think you have been so good this season?

With Rooney gone, there is no disruptive influence. The players aren't always looking for him as the first ball and he doesn't try to do it all himself. Cahill's been a cracking signing and Osman has come through finally. We've found a good formation with Bent leading the line superbly. Other than that team spirit and hard work

Which players in particular have stood out for you?

Cahill, Martyn, Bent, Osman, Gravesen, Kilbane, Yobo, Weir, Stubbs, Hibbert, Pistone wink.gif

What about Moysey? You rate him then?

Manager of the year

What do you think about Rovers this season?

Under-performed. Changing managers doesn’t help. I’m not really sure where it's all gone wrong to be honest.

You think Hughsey will do a better job than Souness?

Without doubt, he wont fall out with players for a start

Where do you think we’ll finish?

Lower mid table

In January you lost Gravesen to real Madrid, has this, or do you think this’ll have any affect of what happens for the rest of this season?

Depends if Arteta can replace him. If so, we wont miss him

At least it means that others wont get confused between him and Carsley anymore, how’s he doing nowadays?

Cult hero now after his derby goal. His is the most sung name these days!

So do you expect to finish in the Champions League this season, or Uefa cup spots? Or might some other team pip (mentioning no names!!) you into 6th place just like a couple of years ago?!

Haha, that wont be happening this time will it? cant see us finishing below 5th

Are there any past Everton v Rovers games that stick in your mind

Didn't go to last seaons shocking defeat.

My first ever away was Blackburn, we lost 3-2, Ferguson scored

What kind of performance can we expect from Everton on Sunday?

I cant reveal tactics before the match!

go on....

Well, short one touch passing in the midfield utilising the pace of bent

Apart from Bent's still shocking ball control, who else should we be scared of?

Still shocking ball control? Some mistake surely?

Osman is the main man for me and Cahill’s late runs

Which players do you see as Rovers danger players?

I'm not too scared of any of them to be honest

And finally, a prediction for the game on Sunday?

2-0 to Everton

Thanks to J for anwering questions for this preview.

My Prediction

After our non-too-convincing performance against Burnley, we'll have to play better against the Toffees. But I'm optimistic and I'll go for a 2-1 win to Rovers - MGP to get both of them smile.gif

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked my mate J to answer a few questions about the game.

Confident liitle so and so.

Mind you, looking at the table s/he's got every right to be.

Edited by colin

Well- here's my team.......

Friedel

Niell      The Admiral    Todd©    Johansson  (if I must...)

Thompson      Savage      Tugay        Pedersen

Stead        Dickov

Subs:  Enckleman , Short/Moko,  Emerton,  Reid, Gallagher

Thomspon and Stead have done little to warrent inclusion but I think changing things up as Emerton and Gally have been so poor. I cannot see how Thompson would be less of a threat than Emerton. I have a suspicion however that neither Thompson or Stead will even get on the bench if recent selections hare any guide.

Bothroyd should be hounded back to italy.

2-1 Rovers MGP, Stead (I wish....)

Edited by joey_big_nose

Cannot see us getting anything from this one. Everton were very good at Villa and will create chances even though our defence is looking good.

I rather fear that Savage will be out injured and the midfield will be overwhelmed.

Everton to win 2-0.

I cant wait for this. I am very superstitious and we dont lose to Everton when I watch the match in my local. I always have happy memories of laughing in the faces of the toffies that are sitting around me (even though we are quite often very lucky) This Sunday however, I am on call and fear as I wont be in the pub due to no reception we will lose.

Sod that though, 3-1 Rovers - Ped - Dickov and er Super Matty Jansen tongue.gif

A very dull 0-0 sad.gif

I'd be delighted with that - I'd take it now no problem.

Given that Savage will probably be unfit, Bothroyd is definately unfit, Dickov may be unfit and Gally isn't up to it, the line-up could be unusual on Sunday. And do we bring Todd back? It would be harsh on Mokoena who I thought played well yesterday.

3-1 Everton.

What about Stead is he fit? I would like to see Flitty get a game is Savage is out, or alternativly play Mokoena in the centre of Midfield which would create space for Todd to come back in.

Does anybody reccomend any good pubs?

We went in The Arkles near Anfield last time and it was pretty good. In fact, I think you were there as well!! If I remember rightly you spent most of the time "playing" with Waggy jnr.

Emerton left Ewood hobbling badly, last night, so must be a doubt. As much as some will cheer, we need to steer clear of any long term injuries. I expect Reid will come in, if Emo doesn't make it.

The last few games when reid has come on, we have looked far more threatening.

Emerton left Ewood hobbling badly, last night, so must be a doubt. As much as some will cheer, we need to steer clear of any long term injuries. I expect Reid will come in, if Emo doesn't make it.

The last few games when reid has come on, we have looked far more threatening.

Agree with that. When reid came on last night he helped us to attack much more. I expect us to nick this game. 1-0 or 2-1 to rovers.

We went in The Arkles near Anfield last time and it was pretty good. In fact, I think you were there as well!! If I remember rightly you spent most of the time "playing" with Waggy jnr.

Normally it's either the Arkles (which is a bit of a trek). The place on the corner right opposite the ground whos name escapes me (which is a bit rough and a bit crap, but I've seen you in there before) and the Thomas Frost (a wetherspoons, so nor atmosphere but no agro and cheap ale. A couple of roads behind the last pub, near an aldi/netto/iceland or something.

Everton have been playing well all season, especially at home and it will be very difficult for us to get a result at Goodison Park. Even though we beat Burnley last night and Norwich in our last game, we are still very average up front and I don't see this changing before Sunday. As such, we have to take any chances that come our way, while remaining strong at the back. Everton beat Villa 3-1 last time out, so they will be full of confidence. Another 0-0 wouldn't be the worst result in the world.

<<According to the BBC>> we ain't playing Everton on Sunday ...

Sun 6 Mar, 11:55 - 18:00 on BBC Radio Five Live

With Mark Saggers. Football coverage includes commentary of West Bromwich Albion v Birmingham City and Everton v Blackpool. Plus, all the news on athletics, golf and Formula One.

Edited by Tris

Its my stag weekend wacko.gif this weekend, so I imagine I wont remember much of the game on Sunday.

A rovers win would round it off nicely. A sneaky 1-0, Andy Todd (if available)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.