BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton 0 V Rovers 1

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great result. 3 points today is 2 more then I thought we could get. Good to see Stead scoring. Not good that Dickov had to come off with a injury.

2 or 3 points in the remaining games and we will not go down.

It's amazing how much better Stead looked after his goal. He DID look "like a rabbit in the headlights", but then he made well timed run, recieved a good pass from Reid and finished in the bottom corner, just out of reach for Martyn. After that he played with much more confidence, and looked more like the Stead of last season.

This was a very gritty game, and my thinking before the game that replacing Tugay with Mokoena was a bad move turned out to be wrong. There simply was no room for players like Tugay up until the last quarter or so when Everton pushed forward.

Solid defensive display by defenders, and Flitcroft made some well-timed tackles as well. Thompson was very lively and I thought he did well. But my MoM will have to be Reid. He was everywhere today making tackles and interceptions, as well as setting up the goal and a couple of other chances.

Before the game I was thinking that if we'd win this, we'll stay up. Obviously a lot of things can happen still, but we're in a good position now. Fulham and Portsmouth are in this relegation battle equally as much as we are now, so all we have to do now is outperform one of Crystal Palace, Portsmouth, Fulham or Southampton and we'll stay up.

Best away performance I've seen in years, fantastic! We looked very solid at the back, and if any of the teams deserved to win, it was us.

tinykit.giftinykit.gif

The Fulham performance was equally good in my opinion.

Hughes is doing a great job of getting the players to play as a team. Today this was on show. A Rovers performance to be proud of.

At the risk of sounding like a fool... I must say that when I heard Dickov was being subbed by Jonny Stead I was over here yelling that this was Jonny's game to win.

Having to step out for an errand and then come back to this lovely bit of news.... I am well over the moon !

Well done to the Lads & time to increase the account, Jonny.

All is Forgiven laugh.giflaugh.gif

well, now we've vaulted over Foolham & Pompey...is that massive club what's next for our boys in blue???

Edited by blue/white

woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a performance from the team. again, NEVER stopped running... chased, pressed and hassled all game. wonderful team performance. when someone missed a tackle or header, someone else was always on hand to clear it. as jim said, this was one of the most hardworking performance i've ever seen from rovers, and the epitome of sparky's methods is really showing; despite all that running, the players did not look at all shattered at the end. yes they looked tired, but not shattered. i'm convinced that 6 months ago, we'd not have been able to put in that kind of performance.

players-wise, nelsen was SUPREME in the defence again. mokoena looks much more at ease playing in that midfield holding role than as a centreback, and steven reid must have covered every single blade of grass on that pitch. stead played in flashes, had some good touches like when he held off yobo and pulled down a very difficult ball, and some truly atrocious ones like when he tried to control the ball but just saw it go off his knee. but take nothing away from him, great finish, and it wasnt luck; he had a look, wanted to hit that corner and he hit it. just hope that he will build on this goal and rediscover his form.

for the team now, let's send leicester packing without a replay, and get something off pool, arsenal and scum.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.