BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How About A Thread On Ryan Nelsen?

Bargain of the season i just hope he keeps it up!

so do i mate, cause the moment he starts to slip with regard to his performances...he'll get slagged from pillar to post on this board....from some members.

he has been brilliant for us and whoever reccommended him to us give that man a medal or pay rise.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Nelsen was rock solid last night and looked very comfortable and composed throughout. Excellent captaincy material, IMO. He looks superb in the air and appeared to have an understanding with Mokoena, even if it was just to have Aaron sweep 5 yards behind him in the extremely unlikely event that he didn't win a header!

He's also a good tackler and his distribution is good. You don't see him lose possession and when he did have to look for a longer ball it was generally a good pass, as opposed to just lumping it forward and hoping.

You could see from his celebration at full time that the fellas got heart and a lot of commitment generally to the club, even though he's effectively only just arrived!

If Nelsen is an example of a MLS footballer I'd like to see more MLS players come over and play at Ewood!

Great buy by Hughes, a defender who we got for a very good price, doesn't mess around, does the simple things right but is very effective.

He's been solid in nearly every game he's played this season and it's great to have a player like Nelsen who understands what it means to the fans.

Nelson looks absolutly class. him and todd look like they could be a great pairing.

and by the way

We don't all rate Todd.

mad.gif

i think todd is class.

i would like to see nelson up against some strikers with real pace though as he doesnt look the quickest. hope that doesnt prove to be his downfall but so far so good. the future is gradually starting to look up for us with a solid defence (well central defence) and pedersen playing how he is. few more good signings from sparky in the summer and next season could be a good one biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

It's not an insult to the league or the player to say it's amazing how well he's done considering he has come from the MLS. The league is of a different style and a much lower quality, how quickly he's adapted and slotted in is remarkable. Though I have to say, I didn't notice that many people knocking Nelsen when he signed, just the usual amount for any transfer, no matter how good. I just think it didn't really get anyone excited as most had never heard of him.

he has been brilliant for us and whoever reccommended him to us give that man a medal or pay rise

Well, I guess we didn't really get it going...but the first mention on the transfer thread was mine on November 18th: "Has a Kiwi, Ryan Nelsen, come up as a possibile signing? We know he's leaving MLS champion DC United for England and that two Premiership sides are in the hunt. He is recognized as the best central defender in the league, is a New Zealand international, and has leadership (he was DC United's captain) skills."

This was followed quickly by rebelzero's

"Washington Post reported today that Nelsen is on his way to England, currently in negotiations with 5 sides, 2 of which are in the Premiership.

No worries about a work permit - he captain of the New Zealand national team and has plenty of caps.

Quite simply, when on the pitch (had a groin injury sustained while on WC Qualifying duty), the best defender in the American MLS this year.

Composed, strong in the air, good at organizing, and has the pace to compete in England.

And when I spoke to him Tuesday after DC United won this year's Championship and suggested he stop by Ewood on his negotiations, he simply smiled."

If more suggestions about available DC United players are required, I'm sure rebelzero and I stand ready biggrin.gif

Edited by seahawkdad

Claytons Left Boot Posted on Mar 3 2005, 00:06 

Hey, ben The Beast, I see you're from Hayling Island. Most dads take their families somewhere exotic for their summer holidays - Mallorca, Tenerife etc (well fairly exotic). In 1968 mine took us camping to............Hayling Island! 

yea we moved down here about 8 years ago. is a bit dull down here miss watchin rovers play at ewood but go up and watch them 2 or 3 times a season then go too southampton pompey and london games. its ok here in the summer though as i have the beach 5 mins away.

bet you had fun that year wink.gif

did you by any chance camp at Mill Rythe Holiday Village as i have a part time job there. ph34r.gifsad.gif

He certainly has something about him. Hughesy says that he has a presence on and off, he seems a good professional, who takes his oppourtunity seriously. To me he is the typical Oceania sportsman, I can imagine him middle order, knockin the odd century, and somehow getting a 40 odd average, he is that kinda guy you know, concentration is the name of his game!!

Great buy, and on his way to being first choice in a successful defence tinykit.giftinykit.giftinykit.gif

Good post seahawk dad. I seem to remember his name from USA BLue or some other US contributer over a year ago.

I wonder if we're not overlauding the Premiership as few leave and do well in other leagues but the carefully chosen odd rugged type of player always seems to handle the prem.

The first sea lord, Mokewena and Pederson might be enough to nick us a trophy this year, we'll score one and no-one's going to get much past these too. Soundest pairing for years and although Todds done well these too C/H's are both pacier, bigger better in the air and look comfy on the ball and can pass too.

Just sort of puts the rest into perspectiv doesn't it if Todd (rightly) was so far above the rest of our squad! blink.gif

It's not an insult to the league or the player to say it's amazing how well he's done considering he has come from the MLS. The league is of a different style and a much lower quality, how quickly he's adapted and slotted in is remarkable.  <snip>

Please, no offense meant, but how much experience do you have observing MLS? Like any league it has good sides and dreadful sides, but anyone who has watched the league with any interest the past two years can not at all be surprised by Nelsen's success. His strengths are not reliant on his team mates and are transferable to any team playing any style.

In fact what surprises me is some of the dead weight drawing a pay check in the lower half of the Premiership.

Interview/profile of the big man in the LET.

After the club had been sliding into an assemblage of bland mediocrities too scared, too pliant or simply head too far down under the parapet to cross Souey the bully, it is great to see that we are beginning to get characters at the club the fans can believe in again.

We all knew what Savage would bring but Ryan Nelsen is a fantastic unexpected bonus to add to the blossoming of Pedersen.

What we need now is for Messrs Reid, Stead, Jansen and Thompson to sieze their first team chances with as much steely determination, joy and success as MGP and Nelsen have done when their chances came along and we could already have a squad which can really achieve something in the remaining two and a half months of this season.

It is an exciting time to be Rover, thanks in no part to the inspired signing and performances of the Kiwi. rover.gif

Don't know about exciting. Hughes will have to find a few more cut-price gems in the summer for me to get excited.

Reid I'm quite happy with, Stead is worth keeping for at least another season, Jansen is an enigma, but I can't see him staying past May and Thompson is trying too hard, but does have teh talent.

Other than that lot, there's a lot fo dead wood about.

It's not an insult to the league or the player to say it's amazing how well he's done considering he has come from the MLS. The league is of a different style and a much lower quality, how quickly he's adapted and slotted in is remarkable.  <snip>

Please, no offense meant, but how much experience do you have observing MLS? Like any league it has good sides and dreadful sides, but anyone who has watched the league with any interest the past two years can not at all be surprised by Nelsen's success. His strengths are not reliant on his team mates and are transferable to any team playing any style.

In fact what surprises me is some of the dead weight drawing a pay check in the lower half of the Premiership.

Quite a lot of experience actually. I lived in the United states for nearly 10 years and grew up there, so I saw the MLS week-in-week-out. As far as quality of the league goes it probably equates to division two (or what would now be league one). Of course within that there are some better players, and a lot of talented youngsters, but the overall quality of play certainly doesn't make it anywhere near a first division European league.

I'd bet that most players would at best fit nicely into a Premiership reserve team, and because of this every player being taken out of the league has to be looked at carefully, not because it's a terrible thing to have on you resumé, but because the quality of opposition is not as high as they will face in other places, and so their performances have to be viewed with increased scrutiny as to make sure that this is no simply because they aren't up against quality players.

It's a bit like the British claiming that our Basketball leagues are great simply because 1 or 2 players have managed to then make it to the NBA. Some players of high quality, but it's a developing league, and in a few years it may well be something, as for now it is simply in its early years.

Don't know about exciting. Hughes will have to find a few more cut-price gems in the summer for me to get excited.

Reid I'm quite happy with, Stead is worth keeping for at least another season, Jansen is an enigma, but I can't see him staying past May and Thompson is trying too hard, but does have teh talent.

Other than that lot, there's a lot fo dead wood about.

Well I'm excited!

We have all seen what Stead (last season), Reid (very briefly), Thompson (pre-injuries) and Jansen (fleeting glimpses post-Rome) can do at their best. All four have it in them to be top performers in the Premiership.

With MGP and Nelsen having pushed past previous first team certainties to nail their names in the starting XI, the challenge and example is there for that quartet to do the same when fitness and opportunity comes along.

Nelsen is a simply awesome addition.

It's not an insult to the league or the player to say it's amazing how well he's done considering he has come from the MLS. The league is of a different style and a much lower quality, how quickly he's adapted and slotted in is remarkable. Though I have to say, I didn't notice that many people knocking Nelsen when he signed, just the usual amount for any transfer, no matter how good. I just think it didn't really get anyone excited as most had never heard of him.

Just to tag along with jkritchey, MLS has some sides that play really well, and others who dont, just like any league in the world. The MLS sides have a wide variety of styles, some play with a Latin American flair (lots of ball control, short passes), and other play a more direct Euro style (faster pace, longer balls upfield). Some like to attack, attack, attack, others like to defend and counter. So you can't really say that MLS has a "style" since all the teams play so differently.

To use Nelsen's prior team as an example, on DC United there were hard-working, lunch-pail, tough guys who ran their arse off during the course of a game, like Nelsen, Ben Olsen (played with Nottingham Forest a few years back before an ankle injury sidelined him for 2+yrs), Josh Gros (you'll be hearing about him soon enough with the US team), Brian Namoff (who Nelsen said was the best defender on the team), and Dema Kovalenko. They were mixed with guys who will make your head spin with ball skills like Jaime Moreno (spent time with Middlesborough a few years ago), young phenom Freddy Adu, and to a lesser extent Alecko Eskandarian (also future US team).

Nelsen was one of the top players in MLS last season. He was recognized as an MLS Best XI, as was Carlos Bocanegra the year before who is having a decent run for Fulham (playing out of position, since he is also naturally a center-half), as was Demarcus Beasley playing now for PSV Eindhoven, and Landon Donovan working his way into Bayer Leverkuesen's starting eleven.

My point is that while on the whole, MLS cannot compare to the EPL, there are players here who can do very well in your league. There are other Ryan Nelsens, and Bocanegras, and Donovans in this league waiting to be discovered. I think any EPL team could do worse than look here for inexpensive (compared to other leagues) talent, and no one should be surprised when they do well...

Agreed elconejito.

Ryan Nelsen has shown that there are some excellent players in your country and I'm sure Rovers are paying close attention.

Ryan Nelsen, what can you say?

Seems like a great guy who knows what fans want, seems to understand them. He gives 100% every game and he's not afraid of commanding the people around him. However, I've been most impressed with his outstanding tackling ability. He never seems to miss a 50/50!

To think that we might have signed a player who can be a top top performer for us for around 7 + years is an absolute delight!

Ryan Nelsen --> Keep up the great work!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.