• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just for the record.

Goals

Kevin Hird 21

Chris Price 14

Bob Crompton 14.

Keith Newton 10

Proving that Hird was a converted midfield player (which he was) and Price was good going forward but not the best defender.

The last two are head and shoulders above the rest.

It's very difficult to look past Crompton for this position. Berg was the best that I have seen play there, but when you were surrounded by Hendry, May, Le Saux and Flowers, frankly I would have looked a half decent right back.

BTW CB, I've been to Shrigley Hall and it's vv posh.

What we need is everyone's opinion on who is the best right back ever to play for Blackburn Rovers.

We have had a brilliant testimonial from FourLaneBlue for Bob Crompton. Likewise, we have had an excellent forward from Al in favour of Keith Newton.

It's open to you people now, so choose a right back fit to play in front of Brad Friedel.

The voting should finish around two weeks from now.

Crompton, I know it wasn't so much of a squad game in those days but that many apperences says it all. Berg is unlucky that he's up against Crompton as he's been Mr. Reliable for us for so long. Henning will be recieving my vote for cb as he didn't bugger off during his testemonial season.

Nooooo Colin - you can't vote for Richard Brown!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Hang On Capt,

Wasn't Richard Brown a left back? And if nothing else I recall his scoring one absolute screamer against someone or other.

He was still rubbish though.

I never saw Bob Crompton play, even at my age, and we all know that statistics alone tell us nothing.

If it was just statistics alone I would not have bothered to make the case for Crompton but it isn't that black and white in this case. It's far more than that...it's a legend. It's part of the club, the history and the traditions. If anyone thinks that they have had to have seen someone play to vote for them then I have to disagree. This is about the greatest team of all time; we have to look at it in a dispassionate, impersonal way. Besides, if we were doing it that way then due to the age range of the people on this site then Keith Newton also wouldn't have a prayer.

Lucas Neill or Jeff Kenna for right back in the Greatest Ever Rovers side? I felt a shudder just at the thought of it.

Nooooo Colin - you can't vote for Richard Brown!!!  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

Hang On Capt,

Wasn't Richard Brown a left back? And if nothing else I recall his scoring one absolute screamer against someone or other.

He was still rubbish though.

Nope he was a right back - can't remember him ever scoring though.

Your not getting him mixed up with Tony Finnigan are you and his blaster against the Dingles?

The best fullback I have seen is undoubtedly Keith Newton. The man was a class act and a very fine servant to both the Rovers and England. And a nice man to boot.

As I am also interested in the all time history of our fine club, my vote has to go to Bob Crompton. Any man who makes so many appearances for one club, achieves so many caps for his country in the days when there were far fewer International than there are now, and has the distinction of being the captain of his country for many of those appearances.

The fact that he was held in such high regard by his peers worldwide must be taken as an indication of the magnitude of the man.

The fact that he was the manager on two occasions and remained totally loyal to the Rovers all his life, then there can be only one way to vote.

Just imagine if we could have had both Bob Crompton and Jack Walker in the same period!

The best fullback I have seen is undoubtedly Keith Newton. The man was a class act and a very fine servant to both the Rovers and England. And a nice man to boot.

As I am also interested in the all time history of our fine club, my vote has to go to Bob Crompton. Any man who makes so many appearances for one club, achieves so many caps for his country in the days when there were far fewer International than there are now, and has the distinction of being the captain of his country for many of those appearances.

The fact that he was held in such high regard by his peers worldwide must be taken as an indication of the magnitude of the man.

The fact that he was the manager on two occasions and remained totally loyal to the Rovers all his life, then there can be only one way to vote.

Just imagine if we could have had both Bob Crompton and Jack Walker in the same period!

Brilliant.

Thanks Ian.