Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

First centre half

den

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to be Hendry for me at the moment!

Can't remember much of Keeley to be honest, who would have to be seriously considered, so this is the main reason i'm plumping for Oooooh Colin Hendry!!

MIke England sounds ok though.

I'd like to hear a bit more about him from people who saw him play regularly.

I haven't voted yet. I will hold back until i've read more reports on England.

Might as well wrap this one up now Den, Colin Hendry will win this by a country mile.

Whoa, Brownie, don't be so sure. Colin Hendry isn't the best centre half to have played for rovers and I'll tell you why in the next few days. smile.gif

You're gonna include Peacock arent you Den?

Edited by Tugay4England

Personally I agree with Scotty and would prefer the 442 with x2 centre halves.

Not wanting to be antagonistic - but there is plenty of literary material available about our older players with insight to the 'types' of player they where and their achievements hence my votes for RB & LB.

I have books that I read about the Rovers and go off knowledge passed opn throughout the years - I know its not the best, but it is worth doing abit of study if you want to vote seriously rather than than of the cuff (much to the derisory of Jim).

However, saying as much I have not read anything major with regard to Mike England although down the years Hendry was compared as being the like if not better.

I would like it if more who saw the players could make a case for the likes of England as at the moment I am undecided with him /Hendry/Berg/Faz/Keeley/Moran

Edited by CAPT KAYOS

Mike England was the classiest central defender I have ever seen. I watched him start in the youth cup winning team that produced Fred Pickering, Mike and I believe Keith Newton as well.

From the start he oozed class and very quickly established himself in the first team. Brilliant in the air and with instant control with his feet he could also mix it with the hard men if required. He also scored a lot of goals, particularly against Burnley. In other words he was the complete centre half without any obvious faults.

Having said all that how can we leave out Big Col?

Come on Den it has to be 4-4-2.

Having accepted Le Saux at left back you could never play him in a back three. His strength is going forward.

Can I just say I think Den's doing a fantastic job with this whole thing - he's taking plently of time to allow people to voice their opinions, he's suggesting compromise solutions, with maybe now even a vote on formation in the pipeline. This is democracy at its best.

However there seems to be a stand off situation developing between the "pimple faced oiks" © Jim and the "old giffers" © Scotty.

Might I suggest that rather than waiting for a vote to resolve this it is instead sorted with a massive ruck in McDonalds car park after the Villa game, perhaps our two respected members named above could captain either side ?? I'll be happy to referee as happily I fall in between the two categories.

Perhaps either or both sides might like to improve their chances by getting in some ringers - feel free to rent-a-hooligan - plenty of candidates in the hooligan thread here.

Well done Den, keep things ticking over just as you have been.

I'll be happy to referee as happily I fall in between the two categories.

Don't flatter yourself. You're much nearer to the "old giffer" side and you know it!

And yes, you're doing a great job Den.

Yes but he's a pimple-faced old giffer Scotty so he does indeed fall between the two categories.

Perhaps if some of the old giffers on here actually pull their fingers out their arse and make a case for why we should vote for England (or whoever) rather than constantly moaning they might see a more balanced poll.

Shouldn't have to. If you knew your Rovers history (ie, extracted your digit from your rectum, bought a book and sat down and read it), you would know how good they were.

The question is, are we voting for the best all-time team, or the all-time team containing the best players?

If it is the former, you might as well vote en bloc for the 1995 championship-winning side, or for those with longer memories, the team that dominated English football before the turn of the 20th century.

If it the latter, then I would suggest that only Alan Shearer from the modern era is a worthy of a place in the team.

Friedel I can accept (reluctantly), but the choice of Le Saux is laughable.

I saw both Colin Hendry and Mike England.

Colin was the talisman behind the premiership win, everyone knows about Colin. Braveheart was exactly what he was. He lead by example, that was his main attribute. Also scored the winning goal from centre forward, in the full members cup final, so he was versatile as well. Nobody overestimates his contribution to the biggest domestic prize, he was superb.

however, he wasn't the best centre half that rovers have ever had. Mike England was a far better player.

Take a look at This article on the PFA football legends website.

As a footballer, he would outshine Hendry every time. He could play anywhere - centre half, centre forward or midfield.

Hendry could never have done that.

When I first saw him, he played, as an 18 year old right half, the equivalent of todays midfielder. He could have played there all his career, he was that good. The things that I remember about him were the way he used to ease across the pitch, slide into the tackle and take the ball away cleanly - sheer class. I saw him score two goals, playing centre forward at Turf Moor, against a good burnley side, playing for a relegation bound rovers team, he was superb.

He moved to centre half soon in his career. From there he really made his name as the best centre half in Britain.

Proof of how highly he was regarded, was when he was sold to Spurs for £95,000. A British record for a defender.

Hendry was never regarded that highly.

He was the regular captain of Wales.

Hendry only captained Scotland on a few occassions.

As it says on the PFA legends website, Mike England was world class.

Hendry wasn't that.

He went on to manage Wales.

It's difficult to get over to people who have never seen him, exactly how good he was. However, take notice of the posters on here, who HAVE seen him. They will have seen both Hendry and England, I bet they go for England every time.

Two words stick out about Mike England - "WORLD CLASS"

.Two words stick out about Mike England - "WORLD CLASS"

Bravo Mr den! I'm afraid you're whistling in the wind, however. I said the same of Keith Newton but the great unwashed just aren't interested.

Hendry will be chosen and you needn't bother with voting for right half and right winger either because Sherwood and Ripley are certain to get the nod over Clayton and Douglas.

Might as well wrap this one up now Den, Colin Hendry will win this by a country mile.

Whoa, Brownie, don't be so sure. Colin Hendry isn't the best centre half to have played for rovers and I'll tell you why in the next few days. smile.gif

Youre probably correct Den, my point was CH will win by a country mile, and he will.

.Two words stick out about Mike England - "WORLD CLASS"

Bravo Mr den! I'm afraid you're whistling in the wind, however. I said the same of Keith Newton but the great unwashed just aren't interested.

Hendry will be chosen and you needn't bother with voting for right half and right winger either because Sherwood and Ripley are certain to get the nod over Clayton and Douglas.

Sherwood is a cert, you know it's right Jim !

If the team formation is 4-4-2 surely both Hendry and England will be in.

If Sherwood gets into the greatest Rovers team ever then I'll start to agree with Jim that the whole thing is a farce. He wasn't even the best midfielder in the Championship squad FFS!

If the team formation is 4-4-2 surely both Hendry and England will be in.

If Sherwood gets into the greatest Rovers team ever then I'll start to agree with Jim that the whole thing is a farce. He wasn't even the best midfielder in the Championship squad FFS!

Full name: Tim 'this ball's a hot potato' Sherwood. cool.gif