SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

First central midfielder

toogs

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atkins is different, a lowly Don Mackay signing came as a bad fullback (Super Atko started as a mick take nickname) whose pre-Dalglish days most famous moment was a last minute own goal against Liverpool in the FA Cup. It robbed us of a great win, as they lumped us 3-0 at Anfield. Jimmy Hill blamed the ball girl for giving it to Liverpool too quickly - I blamed Atko.

I have heard that this incident is part of a lifelong grudge carried by Jimmy Hill, against Rovers, dating from a game in the 60's when a Rovers result denied Fulham and Hill top flight football.

Can anyone confirm this?

tinykit.gif

I'd like to amplify my nomination for Mark Atkins. There seems to be a few misconceptions as to why I have put his name forward. Probably my fault for not explaining my reasoning.

But before I try, I'd just like everyone to ignore that own goal against Liverpool in the cup match. Every good player is guilty of some howler at

some time or another be it a striker missing an open goal or a penalty, a midfielder giving the ball away to the opposition who then go on to score, or a defender scoring an own goal.

I'm nominating Atkins because of:

The number of games he played for us

His attitude

His work rate

His contribution to our winning the title - he played 37 games for us that season. Al, no team wins the league with a dodgy central midfielder. He must have had something.

But I think, most off all, the fact that he was a player who was never credited with his contribution to a team that won promotion in 1992 and then went on to win the title in 1995.

The only other players who contributed to both were (league games only)

Colin Hendry

promotion season 26 games

title season 38 games

Bobby Mimms

promotion season 45 games

title season 3 games

Mike Newall

promotion season 18 games

title season 2 games

Tim Sherwood

promotion season 7 games

title season 38 games

Jason Wilcox

promotion season 33 games

title season 27 games

Little Alan Wright

promotion season 32 games

title season 4 games

Mark Atkins

promotion season 40 games

title season 30 games

Only Hendry & Wilcox can come close, and Hendry is already in "The Hall Of Fame."

Come on guys & gals. Vote for the undisputed King of honest grafting. The man who never got a sniff at an England cap, but played his guts out for us.

Go on, you know you want to.

Colin, Atko did a very good job for us, but he is not one of the greatest players we've ever had. I liked him as a player but you cannot put him ahead of an established interantional in Batty, a capped player in Sherwood and a genuine hero in Latheron.

Wilcox was very similar to Aktins, was around before the glory and did a lot to help us gain it, but he won't get a sniff in the left wing vote.

Atko played alot during the promotion season but Gordan Cowans was far more influential. Atkins was to Cowans what Deschamps was to Zidane.

We're not trying to give an award for the ones who tried the hardest, we want the greatest. Club service doesn't warrant automatic selection. Derek Fazackerley has nearly 600 appearances for BRFC, did a great job for the club, is still in the game wherever Keegan goes, and did not get anywhere near the central defender spot, which was opened up to two after the Hendry-England debate.

See the light and keep away from him. We've already lost one spot to Le Saux.

Anyone recall that sublimely curled/chipped ball towards Shearer's head for the opening goal during the 2-0 defeat of United that left Schmeical clutching for air ?

Sherwood at his best.

The through ball for Shearer to equalise away at Newcastle ?

Sherwood again.

Edited by Brownie

I'm obviously working to a different interpretation of "greatest" than many people on this board.

I totaly buy the Clayton thing, but without a doubt, the most gifted midfielder to grace our club in modern times has to be Ozzie Ardilles. However, having only played a handful of games probably rules him out in most people's minds.

Of the players who stayed a season or more, the criteria I am using is as follows: if we had them all on our books today and they were all at their peak, then who would get into the team?

For me, it would have to be Howard Kendall, even though we were in the 3rd when he played for us. A member of one of the best midfields in living memory at Everton, and far more cultured and classy than Sherwood ever was. A little past his best when with us maybe.

I think we won the league primarily because we had a near infallible system to get the ball to Shearer in the box. Sherwood's role was to get it and give it to Rippers or Jase the Ace - and he was very good at it - but I do not fell that he was therefore a great player.

Either way, I find it incredulous that some posters are of the view that, when we get to the strikers, Garner is a shoe-in alongside Shearer. Cult hero - definitely; favourite player - maybe; but best striker - not even in my top 10.

Either way, I find it incredulous that some posters are of the view that, when we get to the strikers, Garner is a shoe-in alongside Shearer. Cult hero - definitely; favourite player - maybe; but best striker - not even in my top 10.

Have to agree with you on the Garner front.

As much as I loved him I along with several 1st Division managers of the time thought Garner wasn't up to the top flight

Whilst the likes of Newell, Sutton and Gallacher proved that they obviously were.

Would be a crime to leave the great man out though.

Anyway back to midfield ................

In 1995, Blackburn Rovers were flying the flag for England in the European Cup and faced a tricky tie against Spartak Moscow. It was November and it was bitterly cold in Russia, so Graeme Le Saux and David Batty decided to turn up the heat. They both chased after a loose ball, collided, then proceeded to rain punches on one another until Tim Sherwood intervened. Spartak looked on in amazement, Rovers lost 3-0 and Le Saux had to have a hand bandaged.

He was so brave !

Wow, he could cross the ball!

Mind you, he was better than Batty, that lad could only pass the ball backwards or sideways.

Super Atko was better than Batty as well.

"Where did you come from, where did you go? Where did you come from SuperAtko?!"

laugh.giflaugh.gif

Gutted I never got to sing that!

speeeeeeedie,

Atko did a very good job for us, but he is not one of the greatest players we've ever had. I liked him as a player but you cannot put him ahead of an established interantional in Batty, a capped player in Sherwood

(1) I've tried to point out that I don't think Atko is Blackburn's Pele. He was just a brilliant slogger and this is the reason I'm promoting him.

(2) How many caps has Batty got?

(3) Sherwood has never played for England. He was due to go on in the second half of that abandoned match in Dublin and never got another chance.

Anyhoo I'll shut up about Atko now.

(3) Sherwood has never played for England. He was due to go on in the second half of that abandoned match in Dublin and never got another chance.

Sherwood started on three occasions for England whilst a Spurs player.

Not 100% but think he finished with 3 caps.

Can confirm that Tim Sherwood was capped three times for England while at Spurs.

If we are looking at players who won the most for our club we are ignoring the one player who more with Rovers than any other...Jimmy Forrest. An England international, capped eleven times (games were so few in the 1880/90s that it made him a regular in the national side for six years!) he also went on to win not one, not two but five (count 'em!) FA Cup medals for Rovers. No other player has ever won more FA Cup medals than Forrest. Not only that, he captained us in the last two triumphant cup runs.

There is absolutely no doubt that in those days that the FA Cup was far, far more important than the league. A cup win was everything and even until after the second world war that remained the case. The national champions were the FA Cup winners. Forrest was a driving force in a side that were the champions of England, scoting in two of the finals (and indeed Britain for the first three wins when Scottish, Irish and Welsh teams took part) and a great leader. Maybe most won't vote for him but we should spare a thought for a true Rovers legend, the most decorated player of the greatest team in the world. Alright it was bloody ages ago (and fans of other clubs wet themselves if we go on about the nineteenth century) but it's still something to be proud of.

Regarding the forwards, Shearer is obviously a shoe-in and I'd expect Garner to be so as well. One other player we should maybe remember (I doubt he'll get much of a look-in even so) is the only Rovers player to ever score a hat-trick in an FA Cup final. In fact, he was the first player of any side to score a hat-trick on the grand occasion. Billy Towneley was another England international who is only not accorded the greatest of respect because he has been forgotten in the mists of time. Although he played on the right mainly he played so far forward that he should be recognised as a centre forward as his greatest moments were there. The greatest moment for him has to be the cup final hat-trick, unique for a Rovers player to achieve. That said...after scoring a hat trick in the 1890 final he then went on the next year to net the clinching third goal in the final against Notts County. Four goals in two cup finals. While I doubt he will challenge a recent legend like Garner, his heroics for our club deserve to be remembered.

More information on out fourth and fifth cup wins (inspired by Forrest and Towneley) there is this link History - 1889-1891 (apologies for posting a link to my article! sad.gif ).

My favourite out of those three was Batty. Fantastic player and his debut against Tottenham at Ewood will live long in the memory. Probably the most complete midfield performance I have ever witnessed from a man in Blue & White Halves.

complete midfielder, did he actually ever pass the ball forward

My favourite out of those three was Batty. Fantastic player and his debut against Tottenham at Ewood will live long in the memory. Probably the most complete midfield performance I have ever witnessed from a man in Blue & White Halves.

Under Dalglish he did. He was used as quite an attacking midfielder. I remember the spurs game that Bob mentioned and must agree Batty was tremendous. One of the best midfield displays I've witnessed at ewood. In fact, the rovers performance that day was as good as it got [iMO].

Batty did start to become negative again though, after Harford took over.

Sherwood got his obligatory England cap within a month of joining Spurs (Captaining a title winning side not being enough you inderstand). At the same time he did a bunch of interviews in the London press about how great it was to be back from the provinces - no way can he be in our greatest ever side.

Let's face it apart from Clayton, the modern team has not had any outstanding central midfielders so I'm sticking with Atkins for being man of the match against Leicester in the playoff final and for being at the centre of the title winning side.

Some really talented players here, who haven't been mentioned:

Ken Knighton

Stuart Metcalfe

Howard Kendal

Eamonn Rogers

Mickey speight

simon barker

Mick McGrath

Gordon Cowans

Graham Oates.

OK but none of them played at the top level for us.

laugh.gif Just the once I believe, in that Spurs game, just before half time. He made a two yard forward pass to Sherwood.

He's just the sort of player we're crying out for at the moment actually. A good one. Someone to put his foot on the ball and create a bit of time to bring others into the game.

Sherwood got his obligatory England cap within a month of joining Spurs (Captaining a title winning side not being enough you inderstand).

Didn't he get a cap for the debacle in Dublin whilst he was with us or was that game deleted from the records?

I'd like to amplify my nomination for Mark Atkins...........

......The man who never got a sniff at an England cap

Says it all really. End of the argument for MA I'm afraid. Prob great bloke with a good (if slow) engine, but this is about 'greats'.

Some really talented players here, who haven't been mentioned:

Ken Knighton

Stuart Metcalfe

Howard Kendal

Eamonn Rogers

Mickey speight

simon barker

Mick McGrath

Gordon Cowans

Graham Oates.

OK but none of them played at the top level for us.

Mick McGrath was part of two great half back lines that played at the top level:

Clayton Woods McGrath

Clayton England McGrath

McGrath was always considered one of the most under rated wing halves in England by the rovers fans. Although it was only the Republic of Ireland, he was a regular for that side for many seasons. [i think].

Barker, Cowans and Kendal played at the top level also, but not, as you said, with rovers. Anyhow, who says they have to have played at the top level, to win a position in this team?

Once a loser always a loser

Are we talking about the same man ?

Yep we are Brownie

Maybe I went I bit over the top on here, but to me he was not integral to us winning the league (I think even Ronnie Hildersley could have played there and we would still have won the league) and other things just go towards my feelings against him.

And with that comment you just lost the last shred of credibility that you had Capt. withstupid.gif

Does your seat actually face the pitch? Or are you an aged trilby and car coat wearing stupid old git from the Riverside who all hated him cos he had long hair and misplaced one pass in 20, and couldn't see how integral he was in that team?

btw how many peope have captained a Prem winning side? He's in quality company. Please dont post again on this thread.

Edited by thenodrog