BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid

I think Reid is far more important to the team than many people give him credit for. How many times is he the only mid-field player with the pace and stamina to get back to help out the defence - and then two minutes later be up the field in attack.

The Middlesborough matches was one of his best in centre-mid (imo) he showed some  creativity and good passing ability.

If he conitinues to develop we will have a very good player at the club. Personally I agree with the comparison with Gerrard - they both have pace, passion and athletisism - but as has been mentioned Reid doesn't have a consistently good first touch. But personally I feel that is improving - and I am sure will continue to improve under Hughes.

392882[/snapback]

before i start i must say... it's nothing personal, i've met him (@ a couple of parties) &talked at length with him, he's a genuinely nice and witty fella.

reid is a fantastic athlete, limited footballer. the comparison with gerrard is ..... lets say... generous!

he had his best game in a rovers shirt against boro and i must say he's improved no end. think he's reached his peak though and this is a good as he will get.

cash in quick. he sounds up for a move and my offer to piggy back him to old trafford still stands.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

before i start i must say... it's nothing personal, i've met him (@ a couple of parties) &talked at length with him, he's a genuinely nice and witty fella.

reid is a fantastic athlete, limited footballer. the comparison with gerrard is ..... lets say... generous!

he had his best game in a rovers shirt against boro and i must say he's improved no end. think he's reached his peak though and this is a good as he will get.

cash in quick. he sounds up for a move and my offer to piggy back him to old trafford still stands.

392926[/snapback]

Namedropper!

If you think he's reached his peak then fair enough but at his 'peak' he is a lot better than other options we have available. I think to keep him because he will continue to improve - especially as he gains more experience from playing reguarly.

Comparing Steven Reid to Steven Gerrard, and commenting that the only difference is that Gerrard makes fewer mistakes is utterly insane and a quite baffling comment, unbelievable.

Now before anyone starts I rate Reid, but to play at the bigger clubs you really do need more than a good engine. Reid has a very limited technique and imo this would be cruelly exposed at a higher level such as the Champions League.

392868[/snapback]

laugh.gif I know, it did come out a bit wrong.. but my point is, they do have some similarities, in terms of great physique and athletism. And I do stand firm on Reid having more potential to unleash, his long range passing is AT TIMES very good, and we've all seen his shots when he hits the target. He makes less mistakes than he did at first when joining the club, that's for sure- if he can continue that improvement then I think he'll become a great player for us.

lacks alot of pace.

392949[/snapback]

That's one of his strengths. He is the only player that really drives forward from midfield and then has the stamina to sprint back the length of the pitch to make a tackle. I've always liked him as a player and I think that he has been one of the reasons why we have played so well this season. He has the ability to break up play and he keeps his passes simple, either to a more creative player, or to hold onto possession. The one thing that he lacks is goals. If he scored more goals, then I think a lot more people would hold him in higher regard. He looks like a player that can score goals and he'll come close to scoring in matches. People have made poor comparisons between him and Gerard, but the one thing that stands out to me the most is that Gerard has 19 goals this season, while Reid has one.

He's a vital member of our team and Hughes obviously rates him and I'd say that it's a must to offer him a new contract. I wouldn't be willing to sell him, but if United offered over £6-8 million for him, then we couldn't really say no.

The one thing that he lacks is goals. If he scored more goals, then I think a lot more people would hold him in higher regard. He looks like a player that can score goals and he'll come close to scoring in matches.

He's a vital member of our team and Hughes obviously rates him and I'd say that it's a must to offer him a new contract. I wouldn't be willing to sell him, but if United offered over £6-8 million for him, then we couldn't really say no.

393328[/snapback]

Maybe he read my post before the game!

smile.gif

I think his performance yesterday, highlighted what an important player he is to our team. Without him yesterday we wouldn't have won and that's forgetting his goal.

i thought reidy played well on saturday, the goal was great but with savage out which was a big miss, he took over the responsibility to get the job done.

his engine was fantastic, he was everywhere tracking back and closing down and didn't give away the ball to often either.

still improving as a player and he's giving everything which is all we can ask for.

That article sums up nicely the direction that Reid's career has taken since joining Rovers. He was a talented youngster, who Souness wasn't able to get the best out of. As such his performances suffered and he looked like he wouldn't be up to the Premiership. But under Hughes, like so many other players, he has really developed and is now one of our best players. It also seems that Steve Staunton will give him an extended run in the Republic's team. If Reid were to be injured or sold, then I think people would realise how much we would miss him in the midfield.

I agree with the previous post with regards to missing Reid if he were injured or sold.

When we have a player who is being linked as a possible replacement for Roy Keane then he is someone that needs to be tied down to a long contract.

Obviously we all know that contracts arent worth the paper they're written on, but if Reidy signs for the next 3 or 4 years, anyone coming in would have to pay healthy compensation to Rovers. I would however be a little concerned about any minimum fee release clause though.

Steven has developed into a very strong candidate for a more permanent central midfield berth at Rovers and I think playing alongside Tugs and Lily, as well as the management skills that Sparky possess, have turned that "talented youngster" in to very decent Premiership player.

Edited by Esulx

I think Reidy sounds happy so we should sign him up and hopefully not need to put a minimum fee release clause in his contract.

How long did Bellers sign for also?

393864[/snapback]

Reidy is in talks with Rovers already, and have stated that he hopes to sign a new deal soon...

I think Bellamy signed a 4-year deal smile.gif

That article sums up nicely the direction that Reid's career has taken since joining Rovers. He was a talented youngster, who Souness wasn't able to get the best out of. As such his performances suffered and he looked like he wouldn't be up to the Premiership. But under Hughes, like so many other players, he has really developed and is now one of our best players. It also seems that Steve Staunton will give him an extended run in the Republic's team. If Reid were to be injured or sold, then I think people would realise how much we would miss him in the midfield.

393808[/snapback]

You are so right RR. I am dreading the day (which will come) that one of the genuine big clubs comes in for Reidy. I dont care if they offer £12M, Rovers should tell them all to get lost, because one day in the not too distant future Reidy will be worth that and more to Rovers if we are ever to become a top team again.

And while we are on this subject, Reid is not the only one that Rovers should be valuing alongside the Crown Jewels. Bellamy, Neil, Nelson, and MGP also fit into that category. There are others equally valuable at this moment in time but who are sadly getting older and will inevitably have to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Edited by Fife Rover

I went to a pub in the Mayfair area yesterday and met a nice Hungarian girl. She said she was fairly new to London and she liked going out in Soho and Mayfair. Then she told me yesterday she was out in China white bar last night and she met an irish footballer called Steven. I was going to switch subject but then she added “he plays in Blackburn Rovers’ mid-field”. Stunned, I showed her the video of Reid’s goal (vs Wigan) on my phone and she confirmed it was him. Then I told her I actually support Blackburn though I don’t think she believed me!

London’s a bit far isn’t it if you’ve played a match in Sunderland and train in Lancashire? Unless Tuesdays are Rovers players day off?

London’s a bit far isn’t it if you’ve played a match in Sunderland and train in Lancashire? Unless Tuesdays are Rovers players day off?

394753[/snapback]

I am sure I read somewhere that Hughes had let the players have a couple of days off as the Wigan match wasn't until Monday. This may explain him being in London - visiting friends and family maybe (hopefully not Mr Wenger biggrin.gif )

Reid was asked if Hughes offered him a new contract now would he accept it? Reid's reply was that he was happy with the way he is playing, settled in his house and owed the fans for the injuries/form for his first 18 months at the club and would be happy to sign an extension to his contract.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.