BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Side 2005-06

Wow, youth and class! What wonerful quantifiable advantages those are.

Dickov is our top scorer, give hime some credit. I hate hate hate reading tripe about how penalties somehow don't count as goals - he gets criticised for missing one against Chelsea and then gets no credit for scoring the other three.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dickov is our top scorer, give hime some credit. I hate hate hate reading tripe about how penalties somehow don't count as goals - he gets criticised for missing one against Chelsea and then gets no credit for scoring the other three.

missed the point. he DOES have youth and class over dickov, dont know why you question that.

as for the penalties, never suggested they dont count, rather that jansen would also have netted 3 of the four.

this would have left jansen the modest task of 5 outfiield goals in 25 matches to be ahead dickov in the goals/games stake.

i believe radagast, you feel free to doubt. tinykit.gif

Excellent, marvellous.

Another thread about Matt Jansen.

not sure its too out of place. thread is for discussing 'lineup next sesaon, possible ins/ out'. we're debating reasons for/against matt. fair enough.

As I said in my opening post I have nothing but admiration for dickov's effort this season, but if rovers want to be a top 10 club they need to get rid, the guy is hardly prolific is he , and is getting to old to play up front in the prem.

People who have posted criticising my original choice in departures, thats fine youre entitled to your opinion , but id like to point one or two things out

Rovers have one of the biggest 1st team squads in the prem

Many of these so-called squad players i.e Flitty, Tugay, Amo, Matteo,Dickov are all past there best and lack the quality in the prem-also if we ship these players out for nominal or free transfers we wold be saving an estimated £80,000 per week, thats over 4mill a season + bonuses-no point on putting the strain on our wage system in keeping over-the hill players, if we do i simply dont see how we can financially remain solid

I think this coming off-season will be the most important in a long time, I think we're going to lose 7 or 8 players and gain only 3 or 4 so it's important for Sparky to get it right. He's done brilliantly so far but this will be his biggest test.

Here's what I would do:

Players OUT

Yelldell

Amoruso

Short

Tugay

Gray

Matteo/Gresko (preferably Matteo)

Jansen

Bothroyd

*I think if Mokoena continues to play in midfield then Flitcroft's place in the squad could be under threat, if he's out of contract then he could well be going.

Leaving us with a 1st Team Squad of:

Keepers: Brad Friedel, Peter Enckleman

Defenders: Lucas Neill, Ryan Nelsen, Andy Todd, Aaron Mokoena, Nissa Johansson, Jay McEveley, Vratislav Gresko

Midfielders: Steven Reid, Brett Emerton, David Thompson, Robbie Savage, Garry Flitcroft*, Morten Gamst Pedersen

Attack: Paul Dickov, Jon Stead, Paul Gallagher

Players IN

Danny Gabbidon: Capable of playing at right back or centre-half, would be ideal cover, and with his Welsh connections and Cardiff's current financial position I think we could pick him up for about £1m - £1.25m.

An attacking central midfielder: We still need someone to unlock defences and we have done since Dunn left. Tugay has been terrible for 2 years, Thommo doesn't have the consistency and Douglas seemingly doesn't have the quality. In saying that though, I think Thompson and Reid may share this role if we struggle to bring someone in. If we don't buy a central midfielder, then I think we should look at a left sided (or at least left-footed) midfielder to provide cover for MGP - he has brought us some balance to the left side and I think it would be important to maintain that balance should MGP lose form/fitness.

A Target-man: Dickov tries his heart out, but just doesn't have the capabilities to do this job. Stead could do this in a season or so but still has a lot of learning to do. Jansen is a different type of player but it seems that he won't be staying. I'm not surprised we went for Hartson in January as he would have been ideal in our current predicament, but the fact remains that we need a physical presence at the top of the pitch, someone to hold the ball up and bring the midfielders into the attack. I'm at a loss to think of one at the moment though.

After our first team we have the likes of Douglas and JJ and hopefully some others who can come in and do a job should they be needed. Overall though I would be delighted if we got rid of the majority (if not all) of the players mentioned at the top.

Rant over. rover.gif

Too many imponderables on this thread but the one thing we can all agree in is the need for a new striker.

Ashton is shaping up very well in a poor team in the Prem . If he has any sense he'll have negotiated a clause in his contract allowing him to leave for a certain fee should the inevitable happen and Norwich go down. He's a player we should be very interested in.

Elsewhere in this thread Gabbidon has been mentioned and as Short/Amo and Johannson (hopefully not imo) will probably be leaving there is a need for a replacement. It's a good call, Cardiff had to sell Kavanagh last week just to survive (apparently) so it's another good player we can get on the cheap.

Oh and one last point - Emerton - sell.

couldnt give him away LD wink.gif

I think Emo can be class, someone just needs to beat into him that he has got ability skill and class and that he should bloody use it.

Inconsistant sod. What is it with right sided midfielders and rovers - Gillespie was bloody infuriating - as was Dunn and now Emerton?

I obviously agree that a striker needs to be a top priority, probably even two strikers to be honest. I also think that we're pretty desperate for a decent left back. Nissa is doing as well as can be expected at the moment, however we could do with somebody who can defend and get forward when the opportunity presents itself. I've got be honest, there aren't many quality left backs around-but lets just hope that Sparky unearths one. Finally, as others have mentioned it's pretty evident that we need a creative midfielder, as our lack of goals can hardly be solely blamed on our strikers.

I cannot believe some people on here have actually see Rovers play.

flitty

short

tugay

dikov

enckelman

jansen

douglas

matteo

gresko

betty

gray

add amorouso and savage (yes honestly).

Looks about right but Savage is a league away the way both Flitcroft and Ried played Saturday. Douglas has played very well for us last season and is Premiership standard, I have not seen him have a bad game.

Jansen is better than Dickov and and Dickov will always stop others from scoring and breaks up play constantly. Again IMO Jansen was playing well when he was injured. I have not seen any of the faults reported on here and unless he has a bad time after the game he is our best striker.

you obviously havent been to many games either Prof

DOUGLAS????

HAHAHAHAHA

A good defensive midfielder - Prem Class?? not at the moment

BTW Why get rid of Enkleman?? he made 1 and a half mistakes at Villa and is a bad goalie???? Dont talk rubbish hes a good keeper thats never let us down.

JANSEN IS FINISHED

(I very much hope to be proved wrong about that)

Keep Dickov as well

other than those, spot on

I cannot believe some people  on here have actually see Rovers play.

flitty

short

tugay

dikov

enckelman

jansen

douglas

matteo

gresko

betty

gray

add amorouso and savage (yes honestly).

Looks about right but Savage is a league away the way both Flitcroft and Ried played Saturday.  Douglas has played very well for us last season and is Premiership standard, I have not seen him have a bad game.

Jansen is better than Dickov and and Dickov will always stop others from scoring and breaks up play constantly.  Again IMO Jansen was playing well when he was injured.  I have not seen any of the faults reported on here and unless he has a bad time after the game he is our best striker.

That looks like semi decent team!

Enckelman

Douglas Short Matteo Gray

Betty Flitcroft Tugay Gresko

Jansen Dickov

Think it would be able to stay in the Prem.

People need to realise this isn't Champ/FM and that it's not easy, affordable or wise to get rid of so many players. We need a squad of players and in my opinion all of the players above are able to come in and do a job in our first XI.

Try and get rid of some players but surely not half of the squad!?!

I cant see how Nissa will be released as he has played more games than hes missed this season. Unless Hughes has a definite replacement lined up. Micheal Ball is often linked with us, wouldnt be a bad signing if he can rediscover his everton form.

I would like Rovers to look at bringing in Craig Bellamy or Alan Smith – Smith hasn’t played much for United and he has some very tough competition there.

I pray we get Bellamy and Henri Camara. I would really like to see them 2 together up front

Smith has appeared in nearly every game for United when he's been fit so why would he leave United? He'd be the ideal player for us right now but there's no way we could afford a player like him.

We don't want or need players like Bellamy or Camara who aren't interested in playing for the shirt and will be disruptive to the team. We need players who will give their all for firstly for the manager and secondly the club.

Hughes won't get rid of any players uneccessairly. I'd say Amorouso, Short, Jansen and Gray are the only players that may be on their way.

We need some youthful energetic creativity in midfield and a striker with good movement, who can hold the ball up, score goals and compliment both Dickov and Stead in a partnership.

To be honest what with the finances being limited I reckon there won't be too many changes to the squad. There's a few key areas to me which need strengthening - namely up front and a centre mid and then proper cover for the left mid and right back positions.

Going through the team I'd say the gk situation is fine. Two very good keepers - can't complain. A young keeper might be nice though have hear good things about a keeper at the acadamy (Jones?). Anyhow there is no call for wasting our funds in this area.

Defence:

To me Amoruso must go - he's so far down the pecking order its untrue - and his wages aren't insignificant. Gray should also go by the same logic - he's at least third choice lb and a big earner. Short will probably go as age has caught up with him. If I had my way that useless lump Matteo would also be gone but Hughes likes him.

Gresko should stay. Hughes has done a magnificent job with the defence and I'm sure that he can get the best out of Gresko. As already stated Gresko has played for some big clubs and the lad's been unfortunate in terms of injuries and who he's had in front of him. A fully fit Gresko back to form would be much better value than anything we could buy with our limited funds.

Nissa should also stay as he's been impressive at both cb and lb, as well as having age on his side. Again could we buy any better with the funds we have available. If we keep both these players all that's lacking is another rb for competition for Neill.

Midfield:

The big worry here to me is that both Flitty and Tugs are past it and are on considerable wages; I'd get rid. However this does leave a gap in terms of centre mids though is not as dire as first appears. Firstly I reckon that Reid could do a job in cm in fact I think it's his best position, and has all the qualities of an all round centre mid. Also Mokeana can do the defensive battling just as well as Flitty can. The only hole in the squad is a creative cm but with Tugs and Flitty gone we should have the wages to attract someone decent. Unless Emo's up to playing on the left - another left sided midfielder as cover would be nice. As it is funds might dictate that Emo is too important to loose as he can play either wing.

Strikers:

Here in lies the problem. Our strike force is the worst in the Prem. Being honest Stead and Gally at the mo aren't good enough - although in both case I believe they can and will make it as Premiership strikers. However both should be learning there trade coming off the bench and not having the additional pressure of leading the line. Equally Dickov is a nice option to have but he is not a lead striker - he's not good enough. A good squad option I'll grant you (and sadly the best we have at the mo) but he does lack the quality and more importantly doesn't seem to help the development of Gally or Stead. We need at least one maybe two proven quality strikers to lead the line and bring on our youngsters. Two might prove difficult to get though.

As for Matty and Boothroyd. Due to the difficulties of getting a couple of new strikers. I'd keep Matty due to the promise he's shown this season - though on a reduced rate - as otherwise we could be pretty short of experience up front. If I never see Boothroyd in a rovers shirt again I'd be rather happy.

In short:

Amo, Gray, Short, Tugs, Flitty and Boothroyd out freeing up enough wages for a creative midfielder and at least one quality striker. Hopefully depending on funds a second striker and a right back will be added a max of 6 out 4 in and a large surplus in wages for Rovers.

missed the point. he DOES have youth and class over dickov, dont know why you question that.

as for the penalties, never suggested they dont count, rather that jansen would also have netted 3 of the four.

this would have left jansen the modest task of 5 outfiield goals in 25 matches to be ahead dickov in the goals/games stake.

i believe radagast, you feel free to doubt. tinykit.gif

Not going to read through all of this, but Dickov has also earned most of the penalties this season. When's the last time Matt earned one?

(as for the actual topic, I'd bring in one or 2 new strikers, play Dickov from the bench, bring in an attacking central midfielder (or move Reid up into that role) and a young backup right back. Also probably need some cover for MGP on the left. I'd keep Tugay as cover in the middle, he still occasionally has it, but as a squad player, not a starter.)

Some of you just arent getting whhat im saying if we were Chelski or United we can afford to have has-beens doin nothing in our squad but we arent , the players we have simply dont represent value for money , we cant keep old players who dont cut the musatrd

Examples Amo 25K+

Flitty 20k

Matteo 20k+

Tugay 15K

Dickov15K ( although the work hees done this season will help to keep us up, he aint got the quality to carry on playing at this level as he will turn 34 next year)

Matty20K

If these palyers took huge decreases in pay tahn maybe we could keep a couple , they dont represent value for money so get rid

Just to echo other poeople I anticipate that next seson the remainders from our squad will be:

Freidel, Enckleman

Niell, Gresko, Nelsen, Todd, Johansson?, McEveley, Matteo,

Reid, Savage, Thompson, Pedersen, Mokeona (I see him as a midfielder really), Flitcroft, Emerton.

Stead, Gallagher (possibly play on right wing/in the hole?), Dickov, Johnson.

18 outfield and 2 goalkeepers if Nissa stays.

Realistically for the Prem we need around 21 outfield players and must be careful too as there is no certainty that Gresko, McEveley, Gallagher, Stead and Matteo (should be sold, but Sparky likes him) can really perform for us consistently enough to play. Also I would be wary of Flitcroft and Dickov as they will be on their last legs I am sure.

Anyway, for the new signings I would say, in decending amount of importance and therfore money speant upon:

First rate Striker-Left Back*-Creative Midfielder-Right Back-Central Defender (this should be made irrelevent by Nissa staying, hopefully).

*The reason I put for Left Back over a midfielder is that hopefully Reid, Thomspon or Savage will be able to fit into this role. I do not think we have the money to purchase genuine class in this area if we also buy a striker.

The only way we could finance a good central midfielder is if one of Emerton, Reid or Thompson left for decent fees. I would like to see the Aussie go, but I am not sure we can get the 3 million for him needed for some decent quality.

I think we could get a good left back for a bit of cash and then get in a promising midfileder from the Championship, or someone like Koumas, for a small amount of cash.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Dickov15K ( although the work hees done this season will help to keep us up, he aint got the quality to carry on playing at this level as he will turn 34 next year)

Stop stating that as if it's bloody fact. It just isn't. It's hardly going to be a case of "Happy 34th birthday Paul....oh crums, his legs have gone."

Arteta is only on loan at Everton, so his current club seem willing to let hoim go. He wouldnt cost the £6m or whatever Rangers once payed for him. But it depends if Everton make a bid with their superior finances.

Id like Gierra????? from West Brom instead of Koumas who's hardly played in a strugling Baggies side.

Brum might be wanting to get rid of Dunn end of this season

Surely they would only do that if he was so knackered that he was likely to play under half the games in a season....

If that was the case we couldnt possibly justify taking him on ourselves.

If, on the other hand, Brum have merely gone mad and decided to sell him despite looking like he was over his probs he would be worth a look. Hughes has got the team motivated, although to be fair we have not got anyone as lazy as Dunn on the team at the mo, so he could do david some good.

He is fraught with risks- Bad injuries, bad mentality- but he is so talented that it would be remiss not to monitor the situation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.