BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Side 2005-06

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing we are desperate for is cover at right back (as has been mentioned earlier).

So I wouldn't be surprised to see us move for Mark Delaney at Villa. He's in dispute at the moment regarding a new contract and there's obviously the Welsh connection to consider.

Can't make my mind up whether I'd be happy sad or indifferent to this possibility.

I cant see how Nissa will be released as he has played more games than hes missed this season. Unless Hughes has a definite replacement lined up. Micheal Ball is often linked with us, wouldnt be a bad signing if he can rediscover his everton form.

His Everton form was a long time ago. There are better alternatives about.

OUT:

Gray

Amoruso

Short

Tugay

Bothroyd

Jansen

Douglas

IN:

A striker, a creative midfielder, a right back

Pointless to speculate who because the same names keep coming up and on the evidence of the Nelsen/Mokoena signings the chances are our scouts are already looking at obscure talents the other side of the globe somewhere. I have every faith in Hughes to strengthen during the Summer and next season I predict a top-half finish for us.

Dickov15K ( although the work hees done this season will help to keep us up, he aint got the quality to carry on playing at this level as he will turn 34 next year)

Stop stating that as if it's bloody fact. It just isn't. It's hardly going to be a case of "Happy 34th birthday Paul....oh crums, his legs have gone."

The fact of the matter is name me one striker apart from shearer, who plays as a main striker, ( not a in the hole type player i.e sheringham,Bergkamp ) and does the running, casing down who has played well for a top 10 side and still scores.also all of those mentioned are in a different league ( quality wise ) to dickov

Most strikers best days are over when they 34, dickov has done a brill job for us , but he is no more than a stop gap. if we want to progress we need better more youthful quality up front. If we go with the route of continuing with the likes of dickov we will not improve

OUT:

Gray

Amoruso

Short

Tugay

Bothroyd

Jansen

Douglas

IN:

A striker, a creative midfielder, a right back

Pointless to speculate who because the same names keep coming up and on the evidence of the Nelsen/Mokoena signings the chances are our scouts are already looking at obscure talents the other side of the globe somewhere. I have every faith in Hughes to strengthen during the Summer and next season I predict a top-half finish for us.

Amen!

Based on Nelson and Mokoena I have huge faith in Hughes' network. Also that is the only way for clubs like us to progress we need to find a Yakubu out there somewhere. Who wants to come to Africa with me?

Next season, from the squad we have at the moment, I would like to see these players remain...

GK - Freidel, Enkelman , Yelldell

Defence - Neill, Nelsen, Todd, Mokoena, Johansson, McEveley

Midfield - Thompson, Emerton, Reid, Savage, Mokoena, Tugay, Pedersen

Attack - Stead, Gallagher, Dickov, Johnson

This would require a new contract for Johansson, who is an adequate left back and an extension for Tugay who, when played in the correct position, can really influence a game. Perhaps if he were only played at home or in a 4-5-1.

In midfield, if Pedersen is out for any period, Emerton could cover on the left.

OUT

Defence - Gresko, Gray, Short, Amoruso, Matteo

Midfield - Douglas, Flitcroft

Attack - Bothroyd, Jansen

In addition to those players that remain, I would like to see two strikers - one of genuine class - such as Pandiani - and one with real height and strength to throw on in the second half of a match - such as Duncan Ferguson.

I would also like to see a versatile defender who could play either right or left back to replace Niell if he is underperforming or to cover Johansson in case of injury.

Does anyone hand-on-heart really think Dickov is a top ten club player, as i have said before i am grateful for his hard work this season but a 20 odd yr old dickov didnt do that much in the prem never mind next season, hees a good stop gap, but we cant really on him for goals next season ( his general play isn't great either

Another thing we are desperate for is cover at right back (as has been mentioned earlier).

So I wouldn't be surprised to see us move for Mark Delaney at Villa. He's in dispute at the moment regarding a new contract and there's obviously the Welsh connection to consider.

Can't make my mind up whether I'd be happy sad or indifferent to this possibility.

I think it'd have been a good move if we didn't already have plenty of defenders at the moment.

Perhaps if Short and Gray move on and Nissa isn't offered a new deal there may be a bit of room (perhaps we can dream of somebody bidding for Amo or Matteo) for Delaney.

He's not a bad right-back and has put in some good performances at centre half as well during Villa's injury crisis earlier in the season, so he can provide a bit of cover as well.

out

jansen

short (retired)

douglas

gray

matteo

amoruso

tugay (retired or free)

bothroyd (put down ! back to italian football)

yelldell

guaranteed reserve team football - then fringe of 1st team

garner

barker

stopforth

peter

fitzgerald

retain

flitcroft

thompson

gresko

johannson

IN

bellamy

sidwell

huth (on loan for season)

commons

stuart taylor

+

seasoned forward on loan from europe

its a big wish list but possible especially in light of the wages saved.

Edited by 1864roverite

Now that ROVERS seem to have a decent defensive unit, with the exception of Matteo(Firing Squad for Him!) and perhaps some competition for Neill which may light a fire under him! I think Rovers are getting over the Souness Plague/Tsunami (Grabbi/Yorke). With Hughes doing some inspired business in Jan bringing in Nelson & (the Axe) Mokoena. But we are lacking in the Goals department.

SO my OUTS

Matteo-Bins for Him!

Jay Bothroyd back to having late lunches with Col. Gaddifi's lad for him!

Tugay- He has been a great Rovers Player but Sorry he has had his day.

Matt Jansen- He will always be a fans favourite but for the sake of his own career he must leave.

Michael Gray-He had some good games but not for me.

Amoruso-Waste of a wage, waste of skin.

Other Possibilities

Craig Short- likely I think to want go or possibly just retire.

Brett Emerton if he can’t master a simple cross then perhaps we need to look else where.

Paul Gallagher Just can’t see him being an out an out goal scorer and if he stays what role would he play, boot boy! So bins for him.

Gary Flitcroft aka Shagger! Now savage has arrived is there a place for him in Hughes side? I just can’t see him wanting to play second fiddle.

Gresko- If he can pull his finger out and play like he did the season he was on loan then brilliant he will fill our left back problems. Once Matteo has been executed for crime against football that is!

As for replacements and new blood who knows what Hughes has up his sleeve, as long as it isn’t another foreign waste of space!

Along with getting two quality strikers, the most important signing for us in my view would be Nissa extending his deal. It would be ridiculous to let him leave after his performances this season (at both centre back and right back), and escpecially with short and amoruso and matteo (fingers crossed) going n the summer.

Majority of the budget has to go on the front line though. Camara and Bellamy for me.

I think Hughes commands a lot of respect from the players who played under him for Wales, and so could be a calming influence on Bellamy...... Who knows, away from the bright lights of Newcastle he might actually mellow out a bit and stay out of trouble.

I'd rather get Camara over Pandiani.....(wouldn't say no to both of them though!!! wink.gif )

If we manage to get one of these three then there goals would propell us into the top half without doubt. tinykit.gif

Yeah some one like Camara would be a good capture, but as for that Welsh whiner. I don’t think he would be good for the team just as Hughes as brought back the fighting spirit to ewood park. I think Bellamy would have every one tripping over his bottom lip or dodging his hang bag in the changing room when he doesn’t get what he wants.

Hasn’t Pandiani this week stated he would like to stay at Brum?

• 2 weeks later...

one person who i wouldn't mind leaving in the summer is Thompson. With the exception of the Colchester match (and maybe everton) i can't remember seeing him have a good game.

Today he was absolutely aweful...he was jogging around letting the game pass him by and when he lost the ball he would simply jogg back instead of trying to win in back. He failed to get a single cross into the danger area, and his passing in general wasn't good.

It seems to me that he is totally unfit, and i dont think anyone who was at the game today can object to that, and as all the other players seem to get fitter, he goes backwards. All this points to a bad attitude, and someone who thinks he is better, and more important to the team than he actually is. W e do not need these 'big time charlies' at our club'...especially after what happened during the latter Hodgeson and Brian Kidd era.

Niisa's gone too imo.

Thompson's body language was very negative when Emerton came on to play centre midfield. He thinks his best position is there, expected to be moved there, looked fed up for the rest of the match

I thought that Emerton played just behind Dickov and not as a traditional central midfielder.

I think that Tommo is still in the process of coming back from a long term injury and will improve. His touch and range of passing was poor today, though, and he doesn't look sharp at all. He needs to realise that he doesn't have to leather the ball every time he knocks it. I'm a fan of a bit of force being applied to a pass, but it's no good if it just goes sailing over everyones heads!

I thought that looping shot (ended up over the bar, of course) was terrible in the first half. He had a man going towards the back post and a pass would have caused much more trouble.

The fans in the stand behind the goals must love him if they like fetching balls, though (no sniggering all you Beavises).

FRIEDEL

NEILL/HALLS NELSEN/GABBIDON/TODD BALL/MATTEO

EMERTON/REID SAVAGE/SIDWELL/THOMPSON/MOKO PEDERSEN

STEAD/BELLAMY/DICKOV/JANSEN/GALLAGHER

not very clear but you get the idea. if we could have these players to choose from we could challenge for a uefa cup place.

bellamy-4m

sidwell-1.5m

ball-500k

gabbidon-500k

halls-750k

TOTAL- 7.25m

have around 5m already and we could get money from the dahlin saga,aswell as selling a few players (johansson,amoruso, short, gresko, flitcroft,tugay,douglas).

Today he was absolutely aweful...he was jogging around letting the game pass him by and when he lost the ball he would simply jogg back instead of trying to win in back. He failed to get a single cross into the danger area, and his passing in general wasn't good.

It seems to me that he is totally unfit, and i dont think anyone who was at the game today can object to that, and as all the other players seem to get fitter, he goes backwards. All this points to a bad attitude, and someone who thinks he is better, and more important to the team than he actually is. W e do not need these 'big time charlies' at our club'...especially after what happened during the latter Hodgeson and Brian Kidd era.

Before you accuse our (rightful) captain of having a bad attitude, you might want to know that he had a virus.

Before you accuse our (rightful) captain of having a bad attitude, you might want to know that he had a virus.

you've got to be joking?! what makes him captains material then? Dont let the fact that you like the guy cloud your judgement...he's lazy and not a team player. There must be six or seven players who have more of a presence and influence over the team than Thompson does, so why is he the (rightful) Captain? please enlighten me.

Edited by cn_barlow

you've got to be joking?! what makes him captains material then? Dont let the fact that you like the guy cloud your judgement...he's lazy and not a team player. There must be six or seven players who have more of a presence and influence over the team than Thompson does, so why is he the (rightful) Captain? please enlighten me.

apologies, todd too had a virus.

Edited by laughatthedingles

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.