BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool 0 - 0 Rovers

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awful game, good result. If we could pass, or if Pedersen could take a set-piece tonight, we might have won as Liverpool were dreadful. Still, it's a point we wouldn't have expected a couple of months ago.

I think that's the only disappointment for me. People will compare that to the Everton game but we passed the ball miles better in that game. Tonight we just never passed it well and that was the difference. At the other end Friedel could have put his feet up.

Rubbish game. We continue to offer nothing going forward, it's quite clear that we plan to bore our way to safety.

You're right, what Hughes should have done is opened it up against a much superior side and overwhelmed them with our immense attacking talent laugh.gif

I have never seen a Blackburn team working this hard for each other, fantastic! Just a shame about MGP and his awful set pieces, but imo we got the strategy spot on today..

The reason Liverpool didn't create anything to trouble Friedel, wasn't because they just had an off night, it was all down to the hard work from every player in the blue and white, and I feelt proud sitting in pub watching!

Now that Hughes has sorted our defense out, we should start working on those counter attack situations. If our passing were a bit better and the wide men could have gotten in position a bit faster then we might have won it.

Mokoena along with Nelson and Todd was brilliant today, just BRILLIANT! Hope we use the same tactics for the Arsenal game trying to get force them ouf of playing that "flowing football" @#/?.. wink.gif

Especially with Pedersen one of our main attacking threats on such great form.

To be fair we looked dangerous on a couple of instances. Reid's chance at the beginning of the second half that I mentioned earlier, he also had the chance to slip thread through in the first half before being taken down and when Stead almost put him through about midway through the second. Starting to notice a trend? Credit to him really, goes unmentioned quite often, but his attacking runs give us another dimension to our play.

Mokoena along with Nelson and Todd was brilliant today, just BRILLIANT! Hope we use the same tactics for the Arsenal game trying to get force them ouf of playing that "flowing football" @#/?.. wink.gif

Quite right, who need sexy football? We are taking the game back to its rougher roots, to how it should be played. biggrin.gif

Rubbish game. We continue to offer nothing going forward, it's quite clear that we plan to bore our way to safety.

I'm sure you would rather see Hughes put out a 4-4-2 formation on the day, and perhaps we could have lost only 3-1, that would be great.. blink.gif

And btw, do you think liverpool did much going forward, because from what I could see they were @#/? trying to brake us down!

What a fair and gracious match summary from the Liverpool manager. He acknowledged the superb defending from Rovers and agreed that the result was fair.

He went up in my estimation tonight.

We have the penetration of a dead eunich.

However

Bloody good defending - really really really worked hard - MGP's obviously working hard to lull arsenal into a false sense of a security.

Wasnt sure which team Emerton was playing for last night

However

Bloody good defending - really really really worked hard - MGP's obviously working hard to lull arsenal into a false sense of a security.

Last night?

Different time zone in the midlands is it?

Appalling game of football but a welcome point.

Hughes has set Rovers up 4-5-1, which has made us harder to beat but is excruciating to watch at times. Whether it is good enough to beat Arsenal in the Cup is doubtful.

We should survive easily now. The test for Hughes next season will be to inject more skill and creativity while keeping the team defensively sound. Should be interesting.

However

Last night?

Different time zone in the midlands is it?

Its them bloody road cones, always causing a delay!!!!!!!!

The test for Hughes next season will be to inject more skill and creativity while keeping the team defensively sound. Should be interesting.

Agree, imagine if we worked on our counter attacking play, while having a striker with pace to burn like Bellamy... rover.giftinykit.gif

Another well organised and stubborn performance, even if it wasn't exactly a decent game of footy to watch. Following on from the Everton game the team defended well and Liverpool struggled to get any decent efforts in on our goal. A well earned point in the end, IMO.

I think it's gonna take some freak results to see us dragged back into relegation trouble, we're starting to see a Rovers team that is proving difficult to beat. I can't see the less capable teams in the Premiership giving us too much trouble, even if we're hardly running amok at the other end of the pitch.

Not great entertainment, but given the trouble we were in earlier in the season, I would have gladly taken what Hughes & co. are doing right now back then. OK, getting Rovers to tighten up at the back, show plenty of determination/organisation and improving the team's fitness as a whole doesn't exactly make for sexy football, but it will make for Premiership football.

The lack of quality in attack isn't worrying me too much (mainly because we're getting by for now and I'm looking forward to seeing what Hughes can do with the transfer budget in the summer) - I'm just glad we're turing a corner and looking like a solid, top flight team again, rather than the out of shape, disfunctional team we started with in August...

Totally agree with Krislu, I thought Nelsen, Todd and Mokoena were absolutely brilliant tonight….leading goal scorer’s in last years Champions League and European Championships didn’t get a sniff, if only we could have had a bit more going forward, sure its Hughes’s next part of his plan, he’s only been here since September. Is it true we’ve only conceded 3 in 10 since Nelsen arrived? biggrin.gifrolleyes.gifsmile.giftinykit.gif

You're right, what Hughes should have done is opened it up against a much superior side and overwhelmed them with our immense attacking talent laugh.gif

Yes, because you can't defend and attack.

Yes, because you can't defend and attack.

Not with the players Hughes has at his disposal we can't wink.gif

A great result, from a pretty awful match. We are looking solid at the back, although I was crapping myself when Matteo came on. We offered very little going forward, but Stead did do well up by himself and Reid tried his best to support him. Reid had another good game on Merseyside. Mokoena (or Mokewenka, as Robbie Savage refered to him as, must know him well) IMO is becoming a top class defensive midfielder. He is the type of player that we have been missing, for so long. He does the dirty work like Makelele and Hamann, but they are so important to the team. If we sell Flitcroft at least we know that there is someone in th eteam who can do his job, but only better. Well done lads!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.