BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness Out!

LeftWinger

One season, our strikers stopped scoring- that's the season Dean Saunders became striking coach.

But strangely enough Duff was knocking them in from all angles, and went on record as saying that Saunders had helped him.

Not necessarily saying that Saunders is a good coach, but I am saying that it isn't as cut-and-dried as you think.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's because Souness was left with the nucleus of a great squad which he destroyed, whereas Hodgson's squad was destroyed by one player.

I've printed that one out to show my mates in the pub.

Never read a more hilarious post.

Souness inherited a shambles of a squad in danger of dropping out of the Nationwide league div 1, on long contracts and huge wages.

He somehow got rid of the rubber-dinghy men, transformed certain careers - Jansen springs to mind - and dragged us back up the league, a job as difficult as turning the Queen Mary and rebuilt a club that was in danger of disintergrating.

Jack Walker's last appointment was inspired, and nobody should forget that.

Bottom line is that no-one should underestimate, or overlook, what he did during his first three years - I for one had abandoned all hope of seeing us go back up before Souness got hold them. Staying with the bottom line, no-one should forget that his last 18 months here were ... regrettable. Personal feuds, regrettable purchases, bewildering tactics ... there wasn't that much that went right (although some of it, eg inhuries to players, wasn't down to him).

Graeme Souness - 66% heaven, 33% hell. smile.gif

Had Spuds produced a big enough salary instead of essentially matching what Rovers were paying, there is absolutely no doubt Souness would have moved to the other under-performing "massive" club in the summer of 01/02.

Had he done so, all except two of us would have bemoaned the loss of the greatest and most successful manager with the possible exception of King Kenny.

In retrospect, it would have been the best thing that could ever of have happened to Blackburn Rovers FC.

As it is, Souness embarked on a road which led to the destruction of the best and most exciting side since 94/5 and quite rightly is despised for that and the (welcome) departure to Newcastle.

The piece about not wanting teenagers presumably means we should brace ourselves for an over-priced bid for Brad. Emo could be on his radar following the likely departure of Robert (what would we say for a swap?)

Expect "the great souness debate goes on" signs to be up for quite a while longer waggy. If there is one thing that Blackburn Rovers supporters will not be bettered in then it is holding a grudge. ohmy.gif

Just remember...

Hell hath no fury like a Rover scorned...

Go into any Working Mens Club around the Blackburn area and get some of the old codgers to rabbit on about the 1960 cup final ticket fiasco. Seriously...if you keep getting the pints of mild in and helping make up a four in the dominoes they'll be going on about it until closing time. Mention Derek Dougan and they'll be there until Mr Death taps on the door with his scythe... laugh.gif

The only other fans I've known with such bitterness are Burnley fans. Mention the words 'John Bond' to a Claret of a certain age and 'Jimmy McIllroy sold off' to the older set and you'll soon have the Burnley General Hospital inundated with patients suffering heart attacks. Maybe it is something in the air of East Lancs... blink.gif

As for Souness...he came, he saw and er....Caeser then lost the plot. I'm a glass half-full man when I can be and hoped against hope Souness would stop the slide but getting rid of Andy Cole for nothing and replacing him with Paul Dickov was too much even for me. Still, we shouldn't hold any grudges...it's gone now.

Although letting go isn't a well-known trait of Rovers fans!

Just looked at the league table, it is a thing of beauty. Not only are we 99.9% safe but we now have edged above Newcastle and as if that isn't fun enoughwe are also above that other club that is more Massive than l'il old Blackburn, Birmingham City. Thank you Sparky and your players. Is that right Newcastle have conceded 51 goals? Bobby Robson must be have a good old laugh.

I checked on teletext last night to read

Noriwch 2 Newcastle 1

Safri 68 Kluivert 90

Ashton 90

I then thought to myself "wouldn't it be great if Kluivert had scored the equaliser before Ashton scored the winner rather than Kluivert simply knocking in a consolation at 2-0"

Then I watched MOTD.

thumbs-up.gif

How I laughed.

biggrin.gif

Edited by Nayef

Souness record at Newcastle…

· Falls out with Bellamy and has to get rid of him.

· Robert slates Souness after about 1 week in charge, slamming training regime.

· Dyer and Bowyer have a scrap, sent off and fined – Souness has to make them apologise. Newcastle lose to Villa.

· Knocked out of UEFA cup by Lisbon after being 2-0 up on aggregate

· Knocked out of FA Cup with shocking performance v United in same week as above.

· Robert slates Souness for the 2nd time saying Newcastle were better off 1 year ago

· Souness makes Nicky Butt apologise to fans after storming off following defeat to United in fa cup.

Football genius!!

Taken from the NUFC.com website....

The Current Newcastle Squad:

Shay Given - top class keeper

Stephen Carr - rotten crosser, liability at times

Robbie Elliott - can still do a job as cover for injured colleagues

Jermaine Jenas - England player, my arse

Kieron Dyer - final warning should have meant exactly that

Alan Shearer - needs some young legs to do his running

Craig Bellamy - not welcome back

Patrick Kluivert - disgrace, go somewhere else and pick up your fat salary

Charles N'Zogbia - worth developing

Amdy Faye - some passing practice required

James Milner - big fee, not yet justified

Darren Ambrose - out of favour

Andy O'Brien - decent squad member but simply not good enough

Aaron Hughes - same as O'Brien

Nicky Butt - Old Trafford spy

Jamie McClen - Gullit liked him....

Jean-Alain Boumsong - quality defender

Lee Bowyer - hanging on by a thread, somehow

Laurent Robert - self-deluded. Gridiron goal kicker

Shola Ameobi - not good enough. A poor man's Tino

Tony Caig - reserve keeper, no more no less

Michael Chopra - won't be coming back

Celestine Babayaro - shirker

Martin Brittain - brief sightings

Hugo Viana - foppish flop, stay in Portugal

If that website is accurate then they are left with maybe four players- Give, Faye, Shearer and Boumsong- who are considered 'good enough' by the fans. That seems ludicrous to me.

What I would say is that I do not really think Newcastle have a dearth of talent. What they have is an unruly dressing room and a man who is completely hopeless at weilding his authority without alienating people.

Its a time bomb.

What odd's Souness will not be manager come next August? They will be quite long but worth a shot....

Just had this posted to me. The records of Hughes, Souness and Bruce at their clubs since September 2004.

Hughes; Played 28, Won 9, Drawn 10, Lost 9, For 25, Against 26, Points 37, GOal Difference -1.

Souness;Played 26,Won7,Drawn9,Lost 10,For35,Against 42,Points 30,GD-7.

Bruce;Played 32,Won8,Drawn11,Lost13,For34,Against40,Points 35,GD-6

So that would be Rovers with games won, fewer defeats, fewer goals conceded, more points and a better goal difference!!!

If you allow for the transitional period under hughes and the start of the revolution after the two back to back 4-0 defeats it is even more impressive.

You dont want to jump the gun but Hughes is a gem. I would be amazed if we do not continue to build into next season.

Just had this posted to me. The records of Hughes, Souness and Bruce at their clubs since September 2004.

Hughes; Played 28, Won 9, Drawn 10, Lost 9, For 25, Against 26, Points 37, GOal Difference -1.

Souness;Played 26,Won7,Drawn9,Lost 10,For35,Against 42,Points 30,GD-7.

Bruce;Played 32,Won8,Drawn11,Lost13,For34,Against40,Points 35,GD-6

So that would be Rovers with games won, fewer defeats, fewer goals conceded, more points and a better goal difference!!!

Look at what Lee has put on the official site.. in November after 14 games we were bottom with 10 points.

Now after a further 19 games (half season) we have 39 points, thats almost European form as it stands.

"almost European form"?

Gross up the half season from the most recent 19 games to 33 games and extending current form to the whole season would give Rovers 50 points.

That is 7th place which this season is worth UEFA qualification.

And that has been achieved with no forwards!

Of course doing the same arithmetic to the first fourteen games and we would have 23 points and be rock bottom still. Newcastle haven't seen the best of Mr Souness yet tongue.gif

Edited by philipl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.