BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Toshack Blames Hughes

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His team’s hopes of qualifying for Euro 2008 realistically ended a long time ago, but Toshack has targeted two wins from two in Wales’ next two qualifiers against Cyprus and San Marino.

"If we could pick up six points over the next few days, that can influence the seedings for the World Cup. But I'd rather not think too far ahead,” said Toshack.

What an ambitious goal! Beating Cyprus and San marino! ^_^

"I will have to have a long hard look at myself and what I am doing here," said the 58-year-old.

"After what I have seen in this match I am obviously doing something wrong... we were second best everywhere."

Looks like he is finally beginning to realise he's rubbish! Poor Tosh

Don't know why, but he always has to have a dig at Hughes. One of the first things he did when he took over at Wales was get rid of Hughes/Bowen Prozone system.

Good to read his comments last night: "I will have to have a long hard look at myself and what I am doing here," said the 58-year-old.

"After what I have seen in this match I am obviously doing something wrong... we were second best everywhere."

Mike Parry (talksport presenter) had a really good rant about Toshack this morning, saying he was a useless manager & had had his time in top-flight football. He gave Hughes great credit for what he did with a limited Welsh squad & blamed Toshack for ruining everything Hughes built. I don`t normally agree with anything the plastic scouser says, but i had a good chuckle to myself this morning :)

With Tossack's comments, it's always very negative. Must be a 70's Liverpool thing as Souness also used to be with that train of thought.

Hughes got to the brink of qualifying losing only in the Playoffs and improved the side drastically, whereas Tossack . . . not even remotely close to qualifying for anything and has taken the team backwards.

Greece have a far better national league than Wales do so I think that's a little unfair on Wales and Hughes. However, as you said, Toshack is a pillock and he's doing a crap job, end of story. His ego (if he deserves one) has got the better of him and his country and I feel sorry for the Welsh. Anyone know their opinion of him?

That's an understatement if you look at how the five Greek League sides have qualified for the 2nd round of the UEFA.

Also a little matter of the Greek population being around 20 times that of Wales.

Toshack (aka 'The testicle' if he is in Turkey), is blaming Hughes for a problem that is of his making. Hughes may have relied on aging players like Hartson and Savage, but they were the best Wales had, as Earnshaw is a 1st Division level striker, and Gabbidon is plain average. However, it was the Testicle that had insulted many senior players, burnt his bridges and thus not allowed them to pass on their experience to the younger players coming through. He can't develop players, and his man management skills are 0, so it is the Testicle who has caused the problems, not Hughes. He knows that the only job he can get after this mess is either Mansfield Town, or if he is really lucky, some rich Arab place with no clue.

Also a little matter of the Greek population being around 20 times that of Wales.

Pedantic Note...More like 3 and a bit times the population.

Toshack seems to hate the raised expectations that came from the near miss under Hughes but he would be better off ignoring it and getting on with the job. Sparky's time might have had its moments but many Welsh fans blame his negative formation in the game at home to Russia for their failing to create chances and ultimately blowing their best chance in the past decade tp qualify. So it is hardly as if he is following someone who actually took them to a finals place. Toshack with his mouth, like Souness, is his own worst enemy.

Toshack is really peeing me off as a welsh fan and for his reluctance for letting Sav back into the squad. i discussed this with my mates yesterday and we were all in agreement that Tosh should go as he has made wales worse not better during his reign. Tosh is soo inept that he keeps playing 3-5-2 when everyone else plays 4-4-2.

Also he needs to bring back Sav, as Wales do not have a decent midfielder. What Sav lacks in skills he makes up in passion and lots of hard work.

Hughes did a fantastic job, but Tosh needs to get over himself and wake up. Apparently as well he left out Paul Parry who is playing well for Cardiff and now Parry has removed himself from future Wales call ups.

Nice one Tosh!!!

For me on the outside, if I was a taff I would be destroyed at losing to Cyprus not to mention embarassed. I would just love to read the press should San Marino exact a win on Wednesday. Oh the joy of reading the spoilt welsh taffy tit as he tried to explain that one !!!

Hold on - Cyprus are a decent team, holding Germany to a 1-1 draw and (embarrassingly for me) destroying Ireland 5-2 at home. They can play explosive attacking football, and aren't kicking boys by any stretch of the imagination.

Toshack should go because he's damaging welsh football, but not because they lost to Cyprus.

Hold on - Cyprus are a decent team, holding Germany to a 1-1 draw and (embarrassingly for me) destroying Ireland 5-2 at home. They can play explosive attacking football, and aren't kicking boys by any stretch of the imagination.

Toshack should go because he's damaging welsh football, but not because they lost to Cyprus.

No. Cyprus are a big pile of poo.

The sooner he goes, the better.

He's a complete and utter idiot for most of the decisions he makes and leaves half of the team out the squad.

When Hughes was manager he was attracting crowds of 70,000 in the Millennium Stadium against the small-ish clubs...

For example:

29/03/2003 euro2004 Azerbaijan 72,500

10/09/2003 euro2004 Finland 73,441

11/10/2003 euro2004 Serbia & Montenegro 72,514

19/11/2003 euro2004 Russia 73,062

Toshack is attracting crowds of:

07/10/2006 euro2008 Cyprus 20,456

28/03/2007 euro2008 San Marino 18,752

02/06/2007 euro2008 Czech Republic 30,714

08/09/2007 euro2008 Germany 25,000

The last two teams should be attracting big crowds because they are two of the best teams in the international scene yet because Wales have gone drastically down hill, nobody wants to see them because they are playing such awful football.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.