Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Todd

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TODD CHARGED

By Ian Parkes, PA Sport

Blackburn captain Andy Todd has today been charged with violent conduct by the Football Association after elbowing Robin van Persie during his side’s FA Cup semi-final defeat by Arsenal on Saturday.

Under the fast-track system, Todd now has until 6pm tomorrow to respond to the charge after the FA’s compliance unit reviewed video footage of the incident at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium.

Todd is seen catching van Persie in the face with his elbow after the Dutchman, who finished the game with a bloodied fat lip, turns away to celebrate the second of his two late goals in the 3-0 win.

Bristol referee Steve Dunn is understood not to have witnessed the incident, and so failed to mention it in his report but Rovers boss Mark Hughes has defended his skipper.

Hughes today said: “I spoke to Andy immediately after the game and he assured me it was a complete accident. I’ve looked at it again and my view is that I agree with him.

"When they come into contact with one another, as Van Persie turns and wheels away, the ball is not even in the net at that point. To say Andy has lashed out and is frustrated because the ball has gone in the back of the net is completely untrue.

“If you look at the video, Andy’s focus is entirely on the ball, with Van Persie just colliding into him.”

The FA’s decision will come as a major surprise and disappointment to both Hughes and Todd, who faces at least a three-match suspension if found guilty.

Todd insisted immediately after the game what transpired was “purely accidental” as he said at the time: “I turned to go back to the centre-circle and he ran into my shoulder.

“I don’t know what it looks like on television, but all I have done is turn into him. offered my apologies to the other players, but they did not want to know. If that is the attitude they want to take then fair enough.”

It was inevitable that Todd would be charged by the f.a.

They are a bunch of craven invertebrates who merely respond to the media and are incapable of self determination.

What will really be interesting is if they find him guilty or not.

To do so they have to find him guilty of intent.

Todd will undoubtedly plead not guilty and appear before them.

Frankly it will be impossible to prove that intent from the video clips we have all seen.

Only Todd knows his intent and he is going to plead his innocence.

Any reasonable party will HAVE to give him the benefit of the doubt.....

......But remember, this is the f.a. we are talking about.

I am not holding my breath and neither should you dry.gif

It's a disgrace he's been charged. I haven't seen any further replays than what I saw on the day itself, but from what I've seen they can't say that Toddy meant it. I certainly don't think he did and it seems a lot of other people think it was accidental also.

The fact that he's been charged already whiffs of a kangaroo court-type scenario..and I don't mean Lucas and Brett in silly wigs.

Agree entirely with tash, Todd has already protested his innocence therefore MUST plead not guilty.

On an objective and impartial hearing it would be impossible to prove his guilt on the basis of the video clips................ we shall wait and see.

Have to pick up on a point in jim's post. I may be wrong but I thought I had read elsewhere the referee had seen the incident but viewed it as accidental which was why he failed to mention it in his report as opposed to not seeing it?

If that is the case the FA decision to override him and charge Todd is disappointing and smacks of big club bias.

What shyte! Arsenal should be charged for the amount of time their players dived and play acted through the game. I'd love to know the amount of time the game was stopped to allow the Arse players to receive the magic sponge compared to the amount of time that the rovers players wasted for the same reason. I'd not have a problem if any one of the cheating french gits had not been able to play on. But after each visit by their trainer they didn't even have the courtesy to limp for the first few steps.

I guess the FA feel the need to be seen to 'investigate' the matter in order to satiate the totally unjust blood lust of the sensationalist press and media. I guess 5 Live, Talksport, Hanson and Lineker, and the massed ranks of the press pigs must carry too much weight for the weak FA shoulders. tongue.gif

If he is found guilty does either he or the club have any legal recourse? I would love the FA and their witch hunt to be totally and publically discredited. wink.gif

Anyway where the flerk is Gordon Taylor when he is needed? He's usually around with an opinion whether valid or not but his continuing silence is blooody deafening.

...............Problem is they'd try to stiff us at every opportunity ever after. sad.gif

Edited by thenodrog

I was listening to talksport this evening. One of the chaps ( can`t remember who ) claims he knows Colin Todd very well. He has had many a conversation with Colin when Colin has blamed his son Andy for being out of order. Apparently Colin has always been very honest about situations Andy has found himself in and called it appropriately. On this occasion, Colin is defending Andy and says it was completely accidental.

That says it all.

On this occasion, Colin is defending Andy and says it was completely accidental.

That says it all.

Alan, can't say I heard the bit on Talksport, but there was an article in the LET that is pretty much the same.... Colin Todd: My son is not a thug

COLIN Todd today leapt to the defence of his son, Andy, accusing the southern-based media of conducting a `witch-hunt' designed to destroy the Blackburn Rovers defender.

I find the use of the term "charged" very disquieting. To be charged with an offence implies that you have to prove your own innocence in the matter. "Accused " seems a less emotive word. I cannot for the life of me see how anyone can prove that Toddy assaulted the arsenal player from the video evidence. Only Todd can say what really happened. I hope he can put this behind him for tomorrow. Am I right in thinking that Arsenal have a representative on the FA panel as well as someone from Palace? Surely they have to biased in all this?

Big Club example one

Big Club example two

If so called experts are split down the middle and fans are split down the middle as to whether or not Todds contact is deliberate surely he has to get the benefit of the doubt. I really hope for our own sake Rovers and Todd fight this.

Well done Hasta, I had forgotten about the Van Persie incident earlier. Now THAT was an deliberate elbow.

It's not the FA that has charged Todd it's the bloody media. If they had not made such a meal of it it would have been forgotten.

Van Perise's was malicious and intended to hurt, he stopped and changed his whole stance just to throw that elbow.

Stand up tall Toddy stick to your innocence and fight this thing, we are behind you.

i think it should be brought up in the hearing that todd has only collected 3 yellows this season in the league, hes a hard player, but not a "thug"

the bully tag that norwich labbelled of us hasn't helped our reputation thougn

This is disgusting.

As ever the FA are reacting to the media feeding frenzy which has no basis in fact, rather than thinking for themselves. They're an organisation which loves to look as though its doing something, when in fact it never addresses and of the important issues. Its easy to kick a small club than to sort-out the tapping-up and diving which is rife at the top of the league.

If you don't want to know the real score, look away now.

mad.gif

What will really be interesting is if they find him guilty or not.

To do so they have to find him guilty of intent.

Exactly. I've watched the incident on several occasions since, from different angles and so on. In one angle it looks a bit dodgy, in another, a total accident. The referee hasn't reported anything. So how the hell can a bunch of idiots who call themselves the Football Association decide from looking at the same TV evidence that Todd elbowed him on purpose?

The answer? They can't.

Obviously the FA think he's guilty or they wouldn't have charged him. So what's the point of appealing?

FA "What have you got to say for yourself Mr Todd?"

AT "It was an accident, he just turned into me."

FA "Really? Oh well, sorry about that, we got a bit confused, on your way now and enjoy the rest of the season."

It ain't gonna happen. They can talk about it all day long if they want but if these "experts" already believe him to be guilty then I fail to see how the words of Todd, Hughes, Coar etc will change their minds.

BTW - I'd still appeal just to give them some grief. Will Wenger be on the panel?

There's only one bloke who knows what really happened, not Wenger, not van Persie, not the ref, not Hughes and certainly no one at the FA - and that's Andy Todd himself.

Guilty until proven innocent? Good luck Andy, I think the decision's already been made though.

I may be being naive but I dont think its that cut and dried Bob. I think the FA have been painted into a corner by the media and do not really feel strong enough to be seen NOT to investigate. They will not want to be perceived as ignoring the issue but will be honour bound (irony eh huh.gif ) to be seen to be doing something. However to anybody with half a brain will see that the video evidence totally exonerates him. Its completely obvious and the simplest of defences to point out that anybody deliberately setting out to elbow somebody will raise the elbow before contact not after!

A warning as to his future conduct or similar may be the outcome imo but even that is unfair and will label him as a dirty player in the eyes of some.

Just fired off my complaint to the FA for what it's worth.

''May I convey my disgust at the recent charging of Andy Todd for violent conduct. In over thirty years of watching football I have never considered complaining about the FA's procedures but now I feel I have to.

The incident concerned shows the Arsenal player Robin Van Persie starting to celebrate his second goal in the FA Cup semi final on Saturday 16th April. He then veers suddenly to his left, head down at which point he makes contact with Andy Todd. Todd has not moved his direction of his run (unlike Van Persie) and in fact is almost knocked over by the force of Van Persie's collision. As every person who has ever been involved in a collision, Andy Todd moves his arm up, (not elbow) which has previously been by his side in a motion of running, to counter balance the impact of Van Persie's actions. The subsequent result is Van Persie sustains a cut lip, after a theatrical movement to ground. Andy Todd is obviously concerned and offers his apologies to many Arsenal players (even though Van Persie instigated contact).

My concern is that what would the FA be doing now if the player wasn't Andy Todd but say Paul Dickov or David Thompson who are significantly smaller in height than Andy Todd. Van Persie's actions of veering suddenly to his left, head down, would most probably have resulted in a clash of heads rather than head to arm. Would you be charging Van Persie or a Blackburn player with violent conduct?

I feel after the over the top reaction from the Sunday press in regard to this incident you have been swayed in charging Andy Todd rather than looking at the incident objectively. If you have noticed the press and public opinion on Monday and Tuesday has waned significantly to most people conceding the incident was accidental or inconclusive.

I hope your disciplinary panel throw this charge out forthwith and let Andy Todd get on with his football.''

Obviously the FA think he's guilty or they wouldn't have charged him. So what's the point of appealing?

Point is Bob, although Todd will still be found guilty, the appeal could see his punishment lessened. Todd could go from a 3 match ban and a £10,000 fine to a 1 match ban and £5,000 fine - it wouldn't be the first time. There is enough reasonable doubt over the incident to justify an appeal in the hope that it will prompt some leniency from the authorities.

Football is a physical sport isn't it? I think that it is a disgrace that Todd has been charged with violent conduct when he didn't even see Van Persie until it was too late.

I am so fed up of players going down like they have been shot, diving and play-acting needs to be irradicated from the game otherwise its going to get like the pantomine

There is enough reasonable doubt over the incident to justify an appeal

There's enough reasonable doubt over the incident to not charge him in the first place. The FA are just bending over backwards to the whinging of the media and Wenger.

FA: "Well, OK, Mr Hughes, we appreciate what your saying, but the Sunday papers really weren't very happy about your team making a game of it. I mean a lot of the reporters had Arsenal down to win 5-0 you know and Arsene is still fuming about one of his lads having his lipstick smudged. We really had no option but to charge Mr Bully, sorry, Mr Todd. However, what we'll do is cut the fine to say £5,000 and warn Mr Bu... sorry! - Mr Todd as to his future conduct. What about that? Isn't that good of us? Eh? Eh? We're a good lot really! Come on, cheer up, give us a smile!"

Hughes: " "

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.