BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lucas Neill

Lots of the usual knee jerk over-reactions on here.

Firstly we don't know the context of his comments. It's probable that as captain of Australia he was asked a (possibly loaded) question and had to answer it.

Sometimes you have to take comments that filter through from great distances with a pinch of salt," said Hughes.

"I'd rather speak to Lucas about them face-to-face because you have to be careful that certain things have been embellished.

Lucas Neill's situation today is no different from his situation yesterday, or two months ago when his agent revealed he'd not be signing another contract at Rovers. He intends to move somewhere else and is being open and honest about it when asked the question.

But as far as I'm concerned the situation hasn't changed. Lucas is well within his rights to keep his options open, and that's something all parties are comfortable with.

"He said that from the outset. He has been very up front about the situation.

"He is taking his time, which is fine. He made the situation clear to everybody over the summer that he was going to do that.

Meanwhile he's doing an awesome job on the pitch. Mark Hughes, Mark Bowen and co and his teammates think he's a damn good choice for captain. Until they decide any different, that's good enough for me.

Hughes believes Neill's career is best served by remaining with Blackburn, particularly as he has taken on the captaincy this season, rather than at another club where he may only be on the periphery.

"We think the right decision is for him to stay here and be a major player for us

How much more evidence is needed before the lynch mob shut up whining and allow Hughes and Neill to get on with firing Rovers up the table and through to the important bits of three cups??

None of us know how the intricate dressing room relationships pan out at Ewood. But all the evidence suggests Hughes is making best use, and that for now involves Neill as captain. Live and let live, and stop the ridiculous moaning.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been taking the ###### out of reds fans, and the inability of their team to beat us today, and got an interesting text from Ian who works at the passport office in town.

Had a chat with Lucas who admitted that on transfer deadline day he waited all day for the phone to ring from Liverpool.

sounds like Neill played well today again.

Maybe he can be criticized for what comes out of his mouth sometimes but his performances this season have been very, very professional!

Yeh was excellent again today, if only he was left-footed we'd have ourselves a superb converted left back! Watching it on chinease tv, about 1 min to go till full time, bentley had the ball in the corner next to our fans and all you could hear was Neill shouting in a passionate voice, 'kick it into the f**king corner, kick it!'. Looks like he hasnt lost his motivation and 100% effort, even if he is gonna go in jan/july

After a similar midweek trip last season, Lucas went straight back into the team the weekend after a Wednesday night jaunt down under, and Bert was on the bench.

I remember thinking at the time Lucas must be in damn good shape to cope with that. Wouldn't be surprised to see them both in the team on Saturday, what with Bert's new life and everything.

Well well well.

The Aussie boys get delayed and arrive back in England much later than planned, but not only do they both make the team - they both complete 90 minutes.

Some of our Premiership rivals were resting players who barely got over the channel in midweek.

It's a great message being sent out by Mark Hughes. Players at this club are pushed not pampered.

Subs are made to win or protect points, not to rest legs (Tugay's excepted).

I hope he lets Lucas and Bert have a lie in at least once before we head to Poland. They both deserve one.

It's a great message being sent out by Mark Hughes. Players at this club are pushed not pampered.

David Moyes on the otherhand is calling for all PL games to be on a Sunday after the international weeks.

David Moyes on the otherhand is calling for all PL games to be on a Sunday after the international weeks.

Well that's a non starter, does he really give any thought to what he spouts?

The top clubs have Champions league matches Tuesday and Wednesday, they'll not be interested in playing the Sunday beforehand.

Well well well.

The Aussie boys get delayed and arrive back in England much later than planned, but not only do they both make the team - they both complete 90 minutes.

Some of our Premiership rivals were resting players who barely got over the channel in midweek.

Subs are made to win or protect points, not to rest legs (Tugay's excepted).

I hope he lets Lucas and Bert have a lie in at least once before we head to Poland. They both deserve one.

What it also says is that he trusts his players because he said he'd checked with them whether they felt able to play and both had said yes

Thats an esay one. More money on both counts! Last real chance for him and his agent to earn a BIG megabucks contract. Otherwise there is no reason to move to either whatsoever...... alternatively if he has always wanted to play for his childhood heroes I guess we could never stand in his way if the mighty Sydney Olympic came a'courting! :rolleyes:

wanted to play for his childhood heroes I guess we could never stand in his way if the mighty Sydney Olympic came a'courting! :rolleyes:

:o Your knowledge of football extends to the New South Wales Premier League? Or did you actually mean Sydney FC?

I'd be extremely annoyed and at a loss to explain why if Lucas did join Newcastle. Duff, Owen, Emre etc will no doubt be regretting their moves North, and I'm confident that Neill would join them in his evaluation. I said to my mates at the start of the season that Roeder would be gone by the end of the campaign, and I still think that I'll be proved right....that job is cursed!

I lived there for 8 years and whilst I love the place I hate the team, probably with a passion more than most of you on this board.

However if Neill really is to go, and the barcodes push up the price then thank you very much.

Shaddy, I think you can cut thenodrug slack. As a season ticket holder it pains me to say it but Sydney FC have hardly set the world alight this season. BUTCHER OUT!

Personally I've always hated Newcastle almost more than any other team because childhod habits die hard and when I was a kid growing up just outside Middlesbrough, we were only second division and Newcastle were the big shots in our area. I can't understand any player going there unless, like Shearer, they are your team because they live in the past and seem to think that just being Newcastle gives them the right to success. I suppose Freddie's huge wages might tempt you but for how much longer can he bankroll them when the fans are starting to drop away. I know it was only Bolton yesterday and it was on tv but people who turn out in their thousands just to see a new player signing don't give up that easily on their team.

I think the reason why people hate Newcastle ( myself included ) is primarily the whole club and its followers are the most deluded in Europe . They believe themselves to be big the 2cnd biggest club in England and feel they can have any player they wish. They have big crowds but they should have big crowds been the only pro club within a 500,000 catchments area. But that is only plus point about there club the rest is all negative , for an area the size of Newcastle/Gateshead how many quality home grown players have graced st James park in the last decade .

You all talk about Newcastle been able to offer lucas a better financial package a seriously doubt that as they are already in over 80 million of debt the only reason they spend is to keep there fans happy ( as we all know how quickly they turn on there own team )

I suppose Freddie's huge wages might tempt you but for how much longer can he bankroll them when the fans are starting to drop away. I know it was only Bolton yesterday and it was on tv but people who turn out in their thousands just to see a new player signing don't give up that easily on their team.

Is it me or does one sentence contradict the other?

Edited by The1mattjansen

Is it me or does one sentence contradict the other?

I suppose Freddie's huge wages might tempt you but for how much longer can he bankroll them when the fans are starting to drop away. I know it was only Bolton yesterday and it was on tv but people who turn out in their thousands just to see a new player signing don't give up that easily on their team, so the fan drop-off indicates that the situation that the club is starting to get itself into is fairly dire.

Surely something to that effect was implied? :unsure:

Anyway, whatever you think, I'm sure we are all agreed that Newcastle is a step back for Lucas Neill. What a horrible set of circumstances they are in! Huge debt, a squad full of overpaid under-performing/injured players, set for a relegation battle, and managed by a very average manager to boot.

Amongst other things.

Any defection by Neill to Newcastle would be a serious insult. Liverpool is one thing but the circus up at St. James's Park has nothing to offer him other than more money.

Perhaps we could get Carr in exchange.

Edited by Rovermatt

I remember reading an article just after Neill signed and his main thrust was that financially he was set up for life. He lives in a lovely house overlooking Turton Golf course and he is enjoying the fortune that comes with being a prem footballer.Perhaps now he is after the fame that comes from a big club. I would love him to stay as I think he is a fantastic assett in any side, power, pace and passion.I do hope Hughesy keeps on at him and with a good side side on the pitch he might be tempted to stay.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.