BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lucas Neill

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either he or the Club are telling porkies on that one then. As I recall it was clearly reported in the summer in the aftermath of the World Cup that at least one new deal had been put to him.

IF (and personally I don't believe it) that was the case he might have a right to feel slightly aggrieved. Of course it depends what "the same money" is.

If for the sake of argument he was on 30k p.w. already I don't think the Club would have anywhere else to go with that.

I doubt Lucas would lie to me, no reason to, but he clearly stated three times that they haven't been to him with a contract offer since last January.

When I said I cant believe it, he said "Well there you go, people dont know the truth"

He said he was suprised they didnt offer him something as well.

I can only think it has something to do with the pay structure

did you ask him if there was any chance at all of him signing a new deal and staying, though looks very unlikely ??

I did sort of and he just said "Its not going to happen"

If we assume that he is telling the truth (and rem there are always two sides to every coin) then the same money for a longer deal sounds the likeliest that he has been offered then. If it's already good money that he's on the board would be foolish to give way as it would end with other disgruntled players and a queue of agents outside JW's office. In his defence and given the prospect of getting more money elsewhere and especially with the new TV deal in the offing then it's hardly suprising that Neill wants to capitalise. It's messy and unsavoury but we all would do the same..... wouldn't we? :huh:

I'm shocked if thats true and i don't see what the club has to gain by putting out stories that they have offered him a contract when they haven't?

Hughes obviously wanted him to stay (captaincy, etc) so why would the board go against that?

I asked him that Bobby and he doesn't see it happening.

The Board have told him/his agent what they are doing.

Hee gave me the impresssion he is very unhappy with the Board telling lies in the press about new deals being offered and he says it has resulted in him being booed.

He said he made the gesture after he scored because no player should get booed as it affects the team.

The other shattering news is that his dog, Vegas, has cut its paw on some barbed wire !

I'm shocked if thats true and i don't see what the club has to gain by putting out stories that they have offered him a contract when they haven't?

Hughes obviously wanted him to stay (captaincy, etc) so why would the board go against that?

Exactly the point I made to him, and he just shook his head and said he also doesnt understand it.

Disappointing IF this is true because our board always gave me the impression that we were one of the few HONEST ones if there is such a thing in football.

But then again football is weird and being on the outside its difficult to understand what goes on in the inside.

Been chatting to Lucas this morning.

He hasnt been offered a contract since January 2006 and was offered the same money over a longer deal.

C'mon modes read Brownies bloody post properly! Obviously a contract offer has been on the table for him for 12 bloody months now! He has simply chosen not to accept it! Surely that is not too difficult to grasp is it? Good grief! It's no wonder rumours start? :rolleyes:

Edited by thenodrog

C'mon modes read Brownies bloody post properly! Obviously a contract offer has been on the table for him for 12 bloody months now! He has simply chosen not to accept it! Surely that is not too difficult to grasp is it? Good grief! It's no wonder rumours start is it? :rolleyes:

Not strictly the case Gordon, I'm sure it was specifically reported in summer that although there was already an existing offer for him on the table he was offered another new deal in light of the World Cup.

Unless my memory is failing me or I read it wrong.

Hmmmmm - Given how keen both Lucas and his agent have been to talk to the press I'm sure something would've come out if we hadnt offered him a new deal? They dont strike me as people to stay quiet on something like that...

Not strictly the case Gordon, I'm sure it was specifically reported in summer that although there was already an existing offer for him on the table he was offered another new deal in light of the World Cup.

Thats what has been reported but Lucas specifically said there has been nothing new on the table since last January. I asked him why the stories then, and he said they have to say these things to the fans.

He said the truth will come out after he leaves.

Am shocked about the lack of concern for Vegas' paw !

If we assume that he is telling the truth (and rem there are always two sides to every coin) then the same money for a longer deal sounds the likeliest that he has been offered then.

I've already given an opinion on that (above) Simon. Financial rewards are not the only terms covered in any contract as you know. In fact we might even have offered to pay for his home extension as a sweetener ! ;)

Hee gave me the impresssion he is very unhappy with the Board telling lies in the press about new deals being offered and he says it has resulted in him being booed.

The constant statements by Mr Peter Harrison are the reason he has been booed. Nowt to do with Rovers statements on the matter.

The guys on Radio Lancashire Sport were discussing Mr Harrison last night. They are not impressed with the gentleman at all and are convinced he is about unsettling players for his own ends (not their exact words but the gist)

A quick trawl through the archives revealed the following:

LET 05/09:

ROVERS PREPARE NEW NEILL DEAL

John Williams: "It's still our intention that Lucas will sign a new contract with us and we will be presenting him with a new variation shortly."

"He did turn our first offer down before the World Cup but we will be offering him an improved version."

LET 13/10:

NEW NEILL DEAL PUT ON THE TABLE

Mark Hughes: "We've offered him a new contract and it's gone off this week."

Wouldn't surprise me if Rovers had offered Neill a further deal but that Peter Harrison never passed the information on!

Sounds daft but doesn't completely contradict what Mark Hughes said in the article of 13/10 above.

He went on to say something about "He won't have seen it yet"

I'm sure JW/MH/and LN must have spoken since though!

He hasnt been offered a contract since January 2006 and was offered the same money over a longer deal.

I've been led to believe he's still on the same money as when he joined from Millwall. If all he has been offered is the same money over an extended contract, then it's no wonder he's unhappy and wants to leave.

C'mon modes read Brownies bloody post properly! Obviously a contract offer has been on the table for him for 12 bloody months now! He has simply chosen not to accept it! Surely that is not too difficult to grasp is it? Good grief! It's no wonder rumours start? :rolleyes:

What bloody post? he's made a few posts non of which contain traces of blood.

As has been said hughes has said on a few occassions that he wants lucas to stay and that a new offer (post world cup) was on the table. Granted it may have been the same terms but maybe lucas couldn't be bothered to look at the offer. Rumours start by someone's neighbours dog posting on here and saying that players are coming or that managers have lost the dressing room. Which of course turn out not to be true.

If you read into lucas' comments then you only get one side of the story, but equally if you read the rovers statements you get the same. Reasoning out the logical middle isn't easy as both parties are probably lying. It is very easy to go with the club on this one as they aren't the ones with the agent and who are leaving in the next 6 months. At the risk of sounding like jim or west sussex rover, stop personally attacking me :P

Wouldn't surprise me if Rovers had offered Neill a further deal but that Peter Harrison never passed the information on!

I get the feeling that Hughes may have discussed it with him in passing.

Edited by modes98

Didn't Neill play this game of refusing contract offers at Millwall before he signed for us. I'm sure about the ins and outs but I do know that he's pretty unpopular with Millwall fans for the way he left on the cheap.

Edited by rover6

A quick trawl through the archives revealed the following:

LET 05/09:

ROVERS PREPARE NEW NEILL DEAL

John Williams: "It's still our intention that Lucas will sign a new contract with us and we will be presenting him with a new variation shortly."

"He did turn our first offer down before the World Cup but we will be offering him an improved version."

LET 13/10:

NEW NEILL DEAL PUT ON THE TABLE

Mark Hughes: "We've offered him a new contract and it's gone off this week."

Sounds daft but doesn't completely contradict what Mark Hughes said in the article of 13/10 above.

He went on to say something about "He won't have seen it yet"

I'm sure JW/MH/and LN must have spoken since though!

Spot on RB. I am very much an admirer of Lucas, but I have to say, I simply do not believe him. Unless there is a complete breakdown of communication between Hughes and him, either one of them had cause to question the going ons of the board and the agent.

Very simple really. Something along the lines of:

LN: You said an new contract went of last week. Why have I not yet seen it? (calling Hughes integrity into question)

MH: The board assured me they sent it. I'll ask them again. In the mean-time, you get onto your agent.

The only possibility is that perhaps they consider the "new contract", same as the previous contract offer... in which case Neill is being disingenious.

Regardless of all this, I don't think he should be jeered.

Edited by Shaddy

I doubt Lucas would lie to me, no reason to,

Sorry but I'm going to call bull here...there are plenty of reasons why Lucas would stick to a story so he can see out his final five months or so in relative peace and harmony if need be.

The man may not be telling blatant lies exactly but do you really think he was telling the whole truth?

Doesn't it strike you as surprising that the story Lucas puts it reflects well on him but not on the club? The ridiculous insistence that the booing didn't bother him (really what was all that after the goal against Nancy about then?) but instead bothers the team was disingenuous to say the least.

Of course there is far more to this whole story than we know and thanks for telling us what he said as it was very interesting but the comments from Neill should be taken with a large pinch of salt. They might be true for all we know however!?!?

Edited by FourLaneBlue

No you didn't read it wrong. That is what was said at the beginning of this season, and it was published in the LT as well. Somebody is not only telling fibs they are telling downright bloody lies!!! :ph34r:

Didn't Neill play this game of refusing contract offers at Millwall before he signed for us. I'm sure about the ins and outs but I do know that he's pretty unpopular with Millwall fans for the way he left on the cheap.

You could be right Mr.6 maybe the fans over at http://www.independentmillwall.com/ will answer the question!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.