BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lucas Neill

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy is right about the leg-breaking ability however. Neill's tackle on Carrager was a disgraceful excuse of a challenge.

Rubbish FLB. He lunged in hard I'll give you that but he was going for the ball. The contact with Carragher was by Lucas Neills trailing leg not his leading one so no way can hurting Carragher have been intentional! I thought this had all been debated and cleared up yonks ago?

Just like Van Persie's collision with Todd, some people would rather make their own mind up to suit their own agenda's rather than view the video evidence dispassionately.

Rubbish FLB. He lunged in hard I'll give you that but he was going for the ball. The contact with Carragher was by Lucas Neills trailing leg not his leading one so no way can hurting Carragher have been intentional! I thought this had all been debated and cleared up yonks ago?

I thought it was an awful challenge as did many others. As for "debated and cleared up yonks ago"...it was debated and people had differing opinions. I thought it was a bad tackle then and I do know. It was reckless and both his feet were off the ground. As for he was going for the ball...of course he went for the ball...what else was he going to go for...the moon?...and the man as well. A reckless challenge is just that.

As for your claptrap about "agenda's"...grow up will you? It's embarrassing.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Problem with Lucas was not the odd cynical challenge (although he had those in his locker) but his inevitable lapses of concentration with about five horrors every season.

What little I have seen at WHam of Lucas indicates his all round game is down a notch from his time with Rovers and he managed three horror lapses against Boro in 15 minutes- Boro contrived to miss all three gilt chances. In subsequent snatches of games he also looked less tight than he was for us. Ignoring his lapses, Lucas could completed lock down his side of the pitch as a no go zone which is something Steven has not yet managed. But Steven keeps his concentration up so all round I'd say Steven is the better of the two.

We signed him for 600,000 although this might have risen a bit from appearance clauses etc/

The one and a half million I think is what we eventually sold him for...which is also what we apparently paid for Warnock.

I thought warnock was good?

Thank god we're rid. Myself and USA were probably alone twelve months ago in saying how much having a "bad apple" in the ranks would be affecting team morale and performances. That's even without allowing for the fact he's a midfielder playing at full back.

Look how much we've improved since he left.

Haven't improved that much. 6th his last full season, lower than that last season and the same this season.

Momentum is on our side, but so are Samba and Roque. If we had the same squad except for Warnock instead of Neil we'd be no better or no worse.

Haven't improved that much. 6th his last full season, lower than that last season and the same this season.

Momentum is on our side, but so are Samba and Roque. If we had the same squad except for Warnock instead of Neil we'd be no better or no worse.

Disagree completely with that, in the last two seasons with Neill in the side we were averaging little more than a point a game prior to Christmas. Finishing 6th the season before last was essentially thanks to Bellamy's scintillating form in the second half of that campaign and had relatively little to do with Neill.

Since he left, after we got beaten in the FA Cup semi at OT we went on a fifteen game unbeaten run before a couple of setbacks, are on another lengthy unbeaten run and statistically have started as well as the season in which we won the Premiership!

Anyone who doesn't think that we have improved out of all recognition, or that we are not far better off with Emerton and Warnock in either full back position rather than Neill is way wide of the mark imo.

I also stand by what I said at the time in that having a senior player in the side who very publicly refuses to commit himself to the club can only have a destabilising effect - even more so when that player is handed the captain's armband!.

Disagree completely with that, in the last two seasons with Neill in the side we were averaging little more than a point a game prior to Christmas. Finishing 6th the season before last was essentially thanks to Bellamy's scintillating form in the second half of that campaign and had relatively little to do with Neill.

Since he left, after we got beaten in the FA Cup semi at OT we went on a fifteen game unbeaten run before a couple of setbacks, are on another lengthy unbeaten run and statistically have started as well as the season in which we won the Premiership!

Anyone who doesn't think that we have improved out of all recognition, or that we are not far better off with Emerton and Warnock in either full back position rather than Neill is way wide of the mark imo.

I also stand by what I said at the time in that having a senior player in the side who very publicly refuses to commit himself to the club can only have a destabilising effect - even more so when that player is handed the captain's armband!.

You've kiboshed your own argument there Rev in your haste to gain lasting revenge on Lucas for taking John Curtis's (U15' can now be forgiven for asking John who? :rolleyes: ) place in the team. Benni Mac wanted to leave and said so publically, he IS a senior player and IS also our leading goal scorer to boot and yet we have had the best start in years and are currently lying in equal 5th place with a game in hand!

Edited by thenodrog

I thought it was an awful challenge as did many others. As for "debated and cleared up yonks ago"...it was debated and people had differing opinions. I thought it was a bad tackle then and I do know. It was reckless and both his feet were off the ground. As for he was going for the ball...of course he went for the ball...what else was he going to go for...the moon?...and the man as well. A reckless challenge is just that.

As for your claptrap about "agenda's"...grow up will you? It's embarrassing.

In the spirit of the new Happy Clappy board I shall simply turn the other cheek to your provocation FLB. :)

............ content in the knowledge that at least I'm not a big girls blouse who probably sits down for a p1ss. ^_^

I bet you do when you want to read the paper.

Also if the new "happy clappy" board as you appear to think removing racism and bigoted postings means, then by all means feel free to leave if you dont like it

Edited by Flopsy

Without being indelicate the paper's reserved for No 2's Flopsy. :blush:

As for the Happy clappy board, Like aesf I haven't been on it... I dont think.

Anyway what are you hanging around for Flopsy? Surely you mods are no longer necessary, surplus to requirements and therefore by definition also just as free to leave as I.

btw You appear to have quickly adopted my suggestion for the new name of ICBINF....... so when will it be officially re-named on the home page? imo Far less aggressive sounding than ICBINF which sounds like a fight bubble from the old Adam West Batman series.

Without being indelicate the paper's reserved for No 2's Flopsy. :blush:

As for the Happy clappy board, Like aesf I haven't been on it... I dont think.

Anyway what are you hanging around for Flopsy? Surely you mods are no longer necessary, surplus to requirements and therefore by definition also just as free to leave as I.

btw You appear to have quickly adopted my suggestion for the new name of ICBINF....... so when will it be officially re-named on the home page? imo Far less aggressive sounding than ICBINF which sounds like a fight bubble from the old Adam West Batman series.

This is getting very tiresome very quickly.

The chap who diverted the thread was Flopsy. Please re-direct your comments toward him.

No Gordon it was your frequent and tedious digs about the "happy clappy" board. And it's not just this thread either. How about giving it a rest and talking about football?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.