BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lucas Neill

A response to thenodrog in so far as he begins his posting with reference to me.

Firstly your comment about our current education system producing "insular numpties", well I'm sorry but I'm a product of an education system from a bygone era and am amused and quietly flattered to think otherwise.

Many of the attributes which I would advocate were developed from a more classical education, do tend to share many of the roles which I would suggest the carrier of the role "Captain of Blackburn Fovers FC" should possess. Loyalty, dependability, allegiance, fidelity, faithfulness.

Naive is mentioned and perhaps as football supporters that's exactly what we all are, for continually coming back for more of the same from an industry were the term loyalty means diddly squat. Contracts and there role in football is like no other business in the way both parties run roughshod over them. But possibly this may be another reason why many supporters have had enough and are now voting with their feet? Perhaps they cannot reconcile such hypocrisy and would not tolerate disloyalty in their personal life and why should they? Sadly I am a hopeless case and there is no cure for my addiction to BRFC. In Div 3 when the attendance would sink to around the 4.000 mark I must admit that a thought did briefly enter my mind that I would pass on the next home match, but fortunately it soon wore off and I was back for more stood on the Riverside.

I am quite prepared to accept that Lucas has freedom of contract and will walk on a free next July. I'm sure that the offer from LFC in August received due consideration by the Board & MH at the time, but with knowledge that Nelson was facing a six month lay off the decision to retain his services and enforce the contract of a very good defensive player made sense.

I have not suggested Lucas should be dropped, he is still one of our best players.

I think we should do everything possible to encourage Lucas to re-sign and committ his long term future to BRFC, but fully acknowledge that it is Lucas's right to chose the path he sees fit for himself. I applaud MH for trying all options open to him to accomplish this, which appointing him captain recently is an example.

My own opinion as I have already stated are that the comments he is widely quoted as making in the past couple of days, are not those to which in my opinion the captain of Blackburn Rovers should make. Just my own personal opinion, I fully appreciate we all have our own thoughts on the subject and we reconcile and set our standards and morals.

In reply to my initial comment that I hoped the Board of BRFC and/or MH might make a comment on Lucas's quotes, your response was, "Why? There really is nothing more to say that we dont already know." Well perhaps I hoped they shared my views on his comments rather thans yours.

After what he's said can you reconcile Lucas wearing the armband at Anfield, representing BRFC?

Edited by Boz

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trooper and I were lucky enough to speak to Neill's parents before the game (well Trooper wouldn't leave them alone :) ) and his Dad said that Rovers offer of an improved contract was only 1000 pound extra a week.

Of course I said to him "Tell him to bloody re-sign" and he said "He is too old to listen to anything I say anymore"

Apparently they are getting some stuff signed for us, I was going to give MH a call and get him to fax the contract over and I would have slipped it in between the jerseys and the flag.

Trooper and I were lucky enough to speak to Neill's parents before the game (well Trooper wouldn't leave them alone :) ) and his Dad said that Rovers offer of an improved contract was only 1000 pound extra a week.

Did you tell his dad, that the fans who help to pay his wages are lucky if the get a £1000 a month to live on.

I don't know about over there anymore but here, most places if you let your Boss you are looking for alternate employment chances are you will be let go in no time, often the same day. So perhaps not "all the time" in the real world.

Correct. If I let it be known I wanted to leave I would expect my employers to look for a replacement immediately and I wouldn't be too surprised if my contract didn't get renewed.

Well thanks for the info guys, but I don't think it is an age thing despite it being the U21's. The reason I say that is that the commentator on the game last night mentioned that one of the England players was 22; I can't remember which one he said. Hence the reason for my question; if one player can play at 22 yrs surely another can! And he surely has not been dropped for lack of form! So why?

According to UEFA U-21 2006/07 Regulation 16.02 players are eligible right through to the finals if they were born on or after 1st Jan 2004.

As Bentley was born 27th August 2004 he could have played, so he must have been dropped by Peter Taylor.

EDIT : the year should be 1984. Retained 2004 in the post for comedy value.

Edited by Modi

Did you tell his dad, that the fans who help to pay his wages are lucky if the get a £1000 a month to live on.

Yeh mate I got right in his face nose to nose and said his son was a grub who should thank god everyday for letting him play in the blue and white halves. :rolleyes:

As Bentley was born 27th August 2004 he could have played, so he must have been dropped by Peter Taylor.

I can excuse him for spitting the dummy then, kick the ball David, kick the ball, good lad :ph34r:

All this stupid talk of loyalty is pathetic and the sign of small minded insular numpties that our education system has been re-designed to produce in large volumes

over recent years ..............

........There really are some stupid sods on here. Behave.

P.S. Spot on with your last comment :D

How did emerton and judas play for Australia today?

Thank you for verification of my comments drawks........ I rest my case. :wstu:

I can excuse him for spitting the dummy then, kick the ball David, kick the ball, good lad :ph34r:

Both years quoted in my previous post should have read 1984, or was it 1884 so Teddy Sheringham could still qualify?

I read a quote from John Williams saying that he spoke to Neil before he left for international duty and said they would talk about his future as soon as he came back from the international break.

If your friend (who isnt being very profesional) is correct this is true and we havent even sat down with our player yet couldnt this be tapping up in some way?

Anyway, havent we already talked this to death in an 8 page Neil thread already?

Correct. If I let it be known I wanted to leave I would expect my employers to look for a replacement immediately and I wouldn't be too surprised if my contract didn't get renewed.

How is that any different from Neill? Of course his employers are looking for replacements and if they found anyone better they wouldn't renew his contract whether he wanted to or not.

Some posts seem to be suggesting that Neill is far removed from normal life but his actions are the same as what everybody else would do. When they have worked five years or so for a company in the same job they would often also want something new and maybe a chance to work at a different company with different ideas. For fans to call him a judas or anything else is hypocritical. If he was requesting a transfer or refusing to play then fair enough but he isn't. In fact, he is continuing to do exactly what he is paid to do for the length of time the club asked him to when the contract was signed.

How is that any different from Neill? Of course his employers are looking for replacements and if they found anyone better they wouldn't renew his contract whether he wanted to or not.

Some posts seem to be suggesting that Neill is far removed from normal life but his actions are the same as what everybody else would do. When they have worked five years or so for a company in the same job they would often also want something new and maybe a chance to work at a different company with different ideas. For fans to call him a judas or anything else is hypocritical. If he was requesting a transfer or refusing to play then fair enough but he isn't. In fact, he is continuing to do exactly what he is paid to do for the length of time the club asked him to when the contract was signed.

I don't have a particular problem with Neill, he's off my radar these days. So long as he plays well till he leaves I don't care what happens to him. I don't like him publically announcing he isn't happy and wants to leave but can'd anyhting about it.

The is one difference between Neill, other footballers and the rest of the working world. If I announce I want to leave my employment at the end of my contract I would expect to find my replacement in my seat PDQ and my contract paid up. Ordinary folk don't announce they are leaving until they have found a new job......in that sense Neill has done us a favour

I've just read on clubcall that Alan Pardew reckon he can sign Neill in january :P dream on pal, or should I say: clubcall, stop writing bullsh1t

Hilarious! Pardew might well be fortunate to still be in charge in Jan. :lol:

Who's next to line-up Lucas? Mr Cotterill maybe ...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.