SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 3-0 Saints

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting line-up

ROVERS: Friedel, Neill, Todd ©, Nelsen, Matteo, Thompson, Reid, Mokoena, Flitcroft, Pedersen, Dickov.

Subs: Enckelman, Amoruso, Emerton, Tugay, Stead.

SOUTHAMPTON: Smith, Le Saux, Lundekvam ©, Jakobsson, Crouch, Delap, Bernard, Telfer, Camara, Redknapp, Quashie.

Subs: Poke, Phillips, Svensson, Higginbotham, Davenport.

Some of you people are being wildly optimistic and, if I may say so, you're getting a bit giddy, in predicting a veritable goal feast of say 2-0 or 1-1.

To me it's blindingly obvious. 1-0 Rovers. £5 at 6-1 will pay £35.

It's a big game lads.

blindingly obvious eh blink.gif

What a great win today. It sounds like we took Southampton apart, which is great. The fact that we scored 3 goals, will give the team great confidence for the semi-final next week. But more importantly, the 3 points that the win has given us, will go along way to ensuring our Premiership survival. Great to see Reid scoring as well.

Quoted from Sky Sports.

"In Blackburn's 4-5-1, so often seen as defensive, a trio of midfielders surged forward to devastating effect."

woohoo!

I agree that we saw a different side of the 4-5-1 today. Interesting from a tactical standpoint to see it utilised from a more attacking perspective, particularly midfielders flooding into the box late. On several occasions today we had quite a few men forward, even early on, and this looks like it might be a new technical wrinkle that Hughes has been working on. An option to switch too that will still fit the personnel on the field if we need to go up a gear.

Fantastic performance from all the lads and an excellent day out at Ewood.

Tommo looked dodgy after the head injury. After a few passes the ref had to check that Tommo knew what he was doing!

Tugay had a good game once he came on, but traditionally he's good when your two or three nil up. It's when it's nil-nil I don't like him on the field.

Mokoena was fabulous in front of the defence and the pass for the first goal was sublime. He nearly did the same a couple of minutes later to the right. He even went on a couple of dribbles. He is lightning quick, too.

Pedersen could have had a hattrick and also played well generally. Looks a lot more comfortable with his defensive duties and settled in his role.

Defensively we were rock solid again. All four defenders were good, with a special mention also being deserved for the link up play between Neill and Emerton. Todd and Nelsen are looking like an excellent pairing and Nelsen spoke very highly of Toddy on Radio Rovers after the game.

Reidy and Flittly were both 110% committed and Reid is looking more and more like a good premiership midfielder.

Dickov worked hard, but his touch let him down on occasion.

At times the second half was like an exhibition match and it's a long while since we've been that comfortable at home in the league. Excellent stuff Rovers!

Couldn't see the game, but wow what a result. It shows that we actually can] score goals. And with the defence being as solid as it is, we're really becoming a good team again. Well done Sparky.

I think this has pretty much made us safe, while the Saints are going down. Bring on Arsenal ! rover.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.