BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 3-0 Saints

Utterly disgraceful attendance figure - just over 20,000 of which more than 2,00 from visitors. Why is the support haemoraging to this extent in (1) a crucial fixture and (2) a week away from an FA Cup semi. The same fixture 2 years ago attracted 5,000 more - and fewer from Soton.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of things that leave me confident about the future;

It's true that when playing Arsenal, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton etc. we do look a very unimaginative side, who don't look like scoring. But that doesn't bother me, for two reasons;

1) We grind out those 0-0 draws. 1 point is 1 point more than we should expect from those games.

2) When we play the teams around us, we actually play some rather nice attacking football, while at the same time keeping that defensive solidity. Just look at the game today, or the one against Norwich.

If things carry on like this I think Mr Hughes deserves freedom of the city. When you think of the doom and gloom everybody felt whe he was appointed, and the transformation now, it is amazing! I actually said to my Mrs today.... "That's it, one-nil. We don't concede goals anymore, we'll win this!" Sure enough another clean sheet.

A proven goalscorer is needed for next season, not that we should get rid of anyone in the squad. Kevin Philips anyone? Think about it...

Utterly disgraceful attendance figure - just over 20,000 of which more than 2,00 from visitors. Why is the support haemoraging to this extent in (1) a crucial fixture and (2) a week away from an FA Cup semi. The same fixture 2 years ago attracted 5,000 more - and fewer from Soton.

Other than that how did you like the game, was the result to your liking? Should we have scored more? Or do you just prefer to stick with the negatives? Were the pies cold, too hot.

We all know the attendance is slipping I am not even sure if a good season will bring back the missing few thousand or so but hey, it was a good result, semis next week, possibility of a bright future with the right players added. It seems most teams around Lancs are seeing declining numbers in support, even the almighty Burnley, worlds most loyal fans, can only just scrape over 10K now, even with the gap closing biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif . Nob end, with a real shout of Prem football, Wigan even better shout are not exactly packing them in are they.

Just try to enjoy the result, if you can that is.

Other than that how did you like the game, was the result to your liking? Should we have scored more? Or do you just prefer to stick with the negatives? Were the pies cold, too hot.

We all know the attendance is slipping I am not even sure if a good season will bring back the missing few thousand or so but hey, it was a good result, semis next week, possibility of a bright future with the right players added. It seems most teams around Lancs are seeing declining numbers in support, even the almighty Burnley, worlds most loyal fans, can only just scrape over 10K now, even with the gap closing biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif . Nob end, with a real shout of Prem football, Wigan even better shout are not exactly packing them in are they.

Just try to enjoy the result, if you can that is.

could have scored 5 more usa but who cares...and the best plus point,as i was driving yesterday...was FREE!!!!BOVRIL!!!!!

Grumble Grumble Grumble. It works both ways. I (almost always) drive and couldn't get anywhere near the coffee stand for my traditional pre-match/half-time coffees because of the hoards of folks queing for their free beverage sad.gif

Still, fantastic day, great result and I'm finally looking forward to Cardiff.

If things carry on like this I think Mr Hughes deserves freedom of the city.

town.

And that is why we can never attract big enough crowds to support a Prem team indefinitely. sad.gif

Just thinking to myself the other day about the Prem and just what is there to attract new supporters? The league is flacid and uninspirational. It is stagnating. By and large any team that comes up is nearly doomed to be relegated unless one or more existing teams have a disastrous spell based on poor leadership (which is why we and Soton have struggled so much). I do find the attitude of newly promoted teams refreshing, everything in their season in the Prem is a bonus and they know it, the attitudes of the West Brom and Norwich supporters are really refreshing compared to the 'established' mid-tablers.

At the top only 1 team now has a real chance with another two waiting for a slip up. The rest are simply hoping for a Champions league berth to fill the coffers and illustrate some measure of success, as soon as that becomes impossible the season may as well be over.

Poor fare really and whilst money screams so loud I cannot see things changing. Strange thing to me as the press and media seem quite happy with this state of affairs when in reality it must be damned difficult finding interesting angles in such a sterile news atmosphere. The Prem and the FA too must be worried but no one in authority seems to see the danger signs. I long for a return to the dog-eat-dog years of the 60's when at the beginning of every season half the teams were forecast to be involved in winning the title and the other half in avoiding relegation.

The whole business is in a state of suspended animation, no wonder the less committed punters and increasing numbers of sponsors are turning their backs on the sport. Metaphorically speaking we at BRFC have bought nearly every T shirt available and there are no new ones coming through.

I can see no way forward to improve the situation other a half hearted action which would limit squads to 25 players and no more. That way the top teams would be unable to sign players simply to warm the subs bench

and preserve their current unhealthy monopoly on European bunce. In turn this would strengthen the rest. imo the only way forward to satisfy the money men is a European league, yet that would be a major turn off for the majority of fans. We wouldn't be in it and worse still I personally would rather we weren't, it would be sterile fare in the extreme.

This may be a suprising time to say this when we have virtually seen off the spectre of relegation and are in the SF's next week but I do feel that we are drifting aimlessly through a self created vacuum which each season is becoming increasingly soul-destroying and pointless. tinykit.gif

Terrific performance, great win, bring on the cup.

We lined up in our now customary 4-1-4-1 formation, the only change from the last game saw Dickov replacing Stead up front. Not sure Stead deserved to be dropped but maybe his back injury played a part in the decision. I'm also not sure that Thompson deserved to keep his place ahead of Emerton after his last couple of performances. Southampton started with a 4-4-2 formation and were tactically inept throughout.

We started well, our extra man in midfield meant we won a lot of possession and snuffed out any threat they had, and it was no surprise when we took the lead early on. A fantastic 50 yard cross-field ball from Mokoena was controlled superbly on the run by Pedersen who then finished with aplomb from the tightest of angles. Great goal.

We didn't really push on from there though and, although Pedersen had a couple more chances to score (he missed his kick both times), it was Southampton who slowly came more into it. As the half wore on they started to get more of the ball and created some half chances, with Crouch's heading ability a growing threat. It didn't help that Thompson picked up a head injury towards the end of the half, had to leave the field for treatment for a few minutes, and then played like he didn't know where he was when he returned.

Still, we made it to half-time with our lead intact and Southampton had it all to do.

In my opinion Redknapp panicked at half-time. He threw on Phillips, sacrificed a midfielder (Le Saux), and changed to 4-3-3 in an attempt to get back in the game. But it just meant that our midfield, already on top thanks to the extra man, had even more time and space to play. Emerton replaced Thompson at half-time and revelled in the extra space now available down the right.

Within three minutes of the restart we capitalised on that space and scored the second. Neill, Emerton and Reid all combined down the right to send Reid clear. His low cross wasn't going anywhere until a Southampton defender got a touch and steered the ball past their keeper into the net.

We were full of confidence now and a third goal came quickly - Reid finishing a low cross from around the penalty spot. It could have been any score after that. Southampton were clearly demoralised and we were bouncing. Tugay replaced the injured Flitcroft and treated the crowd to an exhibition. He had all the time and space in the world to play and boy did he use it - all flicks and tricks and great passes - a joy to watch. Why we didn't score more is a mystery really as a combination of bad final balls and poor finishing let us down, but the game was over and we cruised to the finish.

Friedel didn't have much to do but did everything he had to well. Our defence was solid again and coped with Crouch well for the most part. Neill in particular had a good game, bombing on into attack in the second half and linking up dangerously with Emerton.

Our midfield controlled the game throughout. Mokoena was excellent in his holding roll. He did all the ugly things well, snuffing out attacks and making challenges like we know he can, but he also passed the ball superbly well. He normally uses the ball well by making simple passes to the nearest shirt, but yesterday he added some great long balls to his game as well. My man of the match and if he can keep this form going we've got a great player.

Reid attacked well and looked a threat every time he went forward - he fully deserved his goal. Flitcroft battled well, Thompson started the game well but then looked lost after his injury, and Pedersen took his goal superbly but was fairly quiet after that. Tugay came on in the second half and took the pi55 and Emerton looked like a world beater, some of his runs were breathtaking.

Dickov did ok, looked sharper than he did in his last game, but his passing let him down. Too often he gave the ball away when it looked simpler to find a colleague. Stead got a run out in the last 15 minutes but didn't really get any service.

We battled well in the first half and then took advantage of the space available in the second half to win the game easily in the end. I'd be absolutely livid if I was a Southampton fan though. Imagine travelling all that way to see your manager throw the game away in the manner he did. It was bad enough that they started 4-4-2 but changing to a 4-3-3 formation at half-time was just suicidal. They were already getting overrun in midfield anyway, so taking a midfielder off for an extra man up front was a bizarre decision. It's the sort of change you make if you're still behind with 15-20 minutes to go, not at half-time.

Credit to us though. We exploited the time and space fantastically well in the second half and looked a really good team. I think we're safe now, I've said all along that 36 points would be enough, but we'll pick up many more points if we keep playing like that.

A perfect warm-up for Cardiff next week - I'm really looking forward to it now.

Edited by Scotty

Well, the day after the crunch game and we are sitting pretty.

Yesterday left me with a tremendous smile on my face. Rovers win a 6 pointer, my horses selection come 1st,4th and 5th in the national,I peak at 66-1 for MGP and the correct scoreline,Fulham lose,and then the mighty manure, a team followed by a horde of my shift colleagues manage to lose handsomely to a down and out norwich outfit ! Oh what a night laugh.gif

Back to our game, Rovers dominated for all but about 13 minutes. A solid line up with a twist of arrogance, speed and athletisism.

The "new" 4-5-1 formula proved a winner.

A players summary

Brad - hardly called on but when required to did his job.

Niell - superb game both in attack and defence

Matteo - solid in defence, plenty of energy goig forward and set up the 3rd.

Nelsen - immense.

Todd - immense.

Mokoena - fantastic in breaking up play, great passing and very much the type of player that we have been crying out for. Great pass for the opener.

Flitty - good game until he got injured. Breaks opposition play up so well running in tandem with The Axe.

Reid - good solid performance. Deserved his goal and he clearly showed he has pace in abundance. Nice to see him with a smile on his face.

Thommo - enigma akin to the Emerton syndrome. Until he got the bang on the head he was doing okay, after that his passing let him down and if it were not for the performance of the defence we could easily have been punished.

MGP - what can we say about the "hairdo" ? fantastic goal and high drive performance.

Dickov - usual normal pesty self, gave his all and if you saw his closing down run in the 91st minute you will realise just how much effort he puts into the game.

subs

Emerton - deserved a goal, totally transformed under this regime.

Tugay - nice touches but as someone mentioned, he does that when we are 3-0 up.

Stead - plenty of effort and clearly is full of confidence despite his goal drought.

Ref : for once Neil Barry didnt make a **** of himself at Ewood.

Southampton - poor team, no teamwork, no effort and a shocking display from players on 25k a week (or more). Goodbye from the Premiership.

Gripe of the day - that annoying 'arry and jim tune that they constantly ring out.

So IMO Rovers fully deserved the win, it could and should have been more but who cares. We got 3 points, put serious daylight between us and them, pulled back some serious goal difference on fulham with the assistance of our neighbours from bolton and head off to cardiff on a high.

it is very clear that the management have really got to grips with this squad. You can see it in the players, they work for each other, they obviously respect each other and it was great to see them giving the Rovers fans the ovation from the pitch. they obviously have a feeling for the shirt.

tinykit.gif

Great win yesterday, virtually guarentees us Premiership football for next season.

Everyone seemed to click yesterday, Neill had his best game in years I thought.

The Axe played a cracking ball to Pedersen who scored another great goal for Rovers. Dickov was a pest all game, Reid is getting better and better by each game and fully deserved his goal.

Full of confidence and we can go to Cardiff next Sunday in good spirit with nothing to lose.

Blackburn 3 - 0 Soton

Attendance was poor. But winning 3-0 can only make the people who didn't come think about coming to watch Rovers at some stage.

interesting rating in the NOTW today.

Todd- Never put a foot wrong- Rating 6

Redknapp- had a disappointing game- Rating 6

how do they work that out

Nobody likes us, we don't care.

Somehow I saw that Reid got a rating 6 as well, bit strange.

Everyone yesterday had a good game, couldn't ask for anymore.

Stead -didnt quite work for the lad, a few times got in a decent position but didn't get the pass he wanted. A few half chances.

Stead's 'off the ball' running is excellent and I'd like to see him get the ball more often and sooner than he does. It's obviously a consequence of the rest of the team playing regularly with a Dickov type forward(more back to goal then running in channels) and as a result they don't pick up on his runs and react quickly enough. A few slide rule passes in front of Stead and he'll start tucking chances away.

I've already posted that I think that it was a tremendous performane yesterday, but I feel the need to say it again!

Stead needs to be less greedy and try to set his team mates up rather than continually having half-arsed shots from either distance or unlikely angles. He telegraphs his intention to every keeper. Yesterday in a 4 against 2 attack in the second half and with 3 team mates better positioned he attempted a shot from a stupid angle.

Sounds daft advice but if he does play for others more he will end up scoring more himself.

Stead needs to be less greedy and try to set his team mates up rather than continually having half-arsed shots from either distance or unlikely angles. He telegraphs his intention to every keeper. Yesterday in a 4 against 2 attack in the second half and with 3 team mates better positioned he attempted a shot from a stupid angle.

Sounds daft advice but if he does play for others more he will end up scoring more himself.

We were 3-0 up with 10 minutes to go. So what, the lad wanted a goal himself so he was selfish. We'd already won the game.

Your constant criticism of Stead is starting to sound ridiculous.

I felt that Stead played especially well when Cole was with him, they just seemed to click. If only that could happen with Dickov.

not the biggest fan of Dickov, although still think he's done well this season, but in this formation it feels like the forward now does the donkey work for the team, and that any striker unless they are hugely talented like Rooney or Henry, then any player is going to struggle to get more then 10 in a season.

So i can't see Dickov or Stead socring too many this season now in the last remaining games, unless we change formation (or get penalties), and there is little chance of that happening because we are doing very well.

I hold my hands up, the best team won by a country mile, Saints were very poor and Rovers were neat, competitve and held on to the ball. Hughes has proved what a good manager he is, wish we had got him instead of messing about with Wigly.

Two questions though, are your fans always that quiet? and why wasn't the stadium finished - 3/4 looks the business, while the other stand looks like it's been borrowed from Acrington Stanley! ohmy.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.