BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Worst Ever Rovers Player?

Those Quinn knockers may like to be reminded of a large following at Bramall Lane carrying aloft tabloid-size full colour posters of 'The Mighty Quinn'.

After that, all my memories are of his giraffe-style clumsiness - even when he scored, he usually fell over!

Rather bizarrely...the player nominated by Coventry City as their worst ever is Craig Bellamy...what the hell is that all about?

My friend is a Coventry fan, and he hates him intensely. He was a replacement for Keane, and did eff all but complain about how crap the city was, how he was too big and great for the club etc. His goal to game ratio was probably up there with Grabbi. In short, at that time he was an arrogant, lazy, mouthy ____ who was a huge waste of oxygen.

Rather bizarrely...the player nominated by Coventry City as their worst ever is Craig Bellamy...what the hell is that all about?

My friend is a Coventry fan, and he hates him intensely. He was a replacement for Keane, and did eff all but complain about how crap the city was, how he was too big and great for the club etc. His goal to game ratio was probably up there with Grabbi. In short, at that time he was an arrogant, lazy, mouthy ____ who was a huge waste of oxygen.

They probably voted for him in the same way that some people on this board would probably vote for Ferguson. Not because he was the worst player, but because he was the most hated.

If Bellamy came to us and started banging them in, I for one wouldnt complain one bit if he was arrogant.

Martin Britt was an England youth international who came to Ewood with a great reputation, apparently he made mince-meat out of the great Tommy Smith in a youth cup semi-final in the mid sixties. He played 8 games in the league without scoring in the 1965-66 season. At the start of the next season he started in the Central League and scored 12 goals in 12 games playing with a knee he had injured early in that season, he had to retire at the age of 21.

One or two other Rovers who had to retire or leave early early because of injuries were- Jimmy Kerr, saw him at Bury before he came to Ewood , he was a real player , could have been a star but he did his knee as well.

Steve Agnew, great at Barnsley, never had a chance at Rovers.

Alan Gilliver, great goalscorer at Huddersfield but came with a bad back, had the operation and couldn't bend at all after that.

One or two nominations for you to think about for worst player- Francis Kopel, Brian Hill, John Coddington ( anybody remember the penalty he took against Palace ? I've never seen anything like it , he had a longer run up than any fast bowler and when he actually got to strike the ball his shot was so soft the goalie could have saved it by throwing his cap on the ball !!! Unbelievably the ref made him take it again because the keeper had moved and he did exactly the same thing, the ball only just made it to the goalkeeper he had to dive forward to save it !!!!!!!!)

John Coddington ( anybody remember the penalty he took against Palace ? I've never seen anything like it , he had a longer run up than any fast bowler and when he actually got to strike the ball his shot was so soft the goalie could have saved it by throwing his cap on the ball !!! Unbelievably the ref made him take it again because the keeper had moved and he did exactly the same thing, the ball only just made it to the goalkeeper he had to dive forward to save it !!!!!!!!)

Remember it well,in fact better than 90% of the goals we scored from that era. He was once aptly described as the rock on whom rovers floundered. his other claim to fame was than in over 300 appearances for huddersfield he never scored, within a few weeks of joining us he rectified that by scoring an own goal when we met them in the league!

• 11 years later...

Inspired by a thread on the Football365 Forum.......''Worst Ever XI''

I have dug up this beauty from 11 years ago, partly to see what people said 11 years ago, and also to see how little we knew back then that those would be 'the good old days' of recent times.

Pre Venkys, a phrase that will only be exacerbated as time goes on.

Please enjoy reading back through the comments, some funny in our current situation, some obviously that won't have changed. As for worst XI, any team nowadays

Based on several (or alas) more appearances.....

Steele.

Henley-Peacock-Rekik-Williams.

Etuhu-Lowe-Petrovic.

Goodwillie-Brown-Varney

Nice to see such an old thread dug up. I was thinking about this the other day when someone mentioned it was the worst Rovers team they'd seen in 40 years of watching them. I then thought well that 90-91 team was pretty awful....

having a look at the squad though, such a contrast in abilities throughout back then compared to today. Now they're all just kind of average with a couple of players who might be able to do better but need a good manager/coach to tell them what to do

Back then we had Sellars, Garner, Stapleton, Gayle who all got injured/old but were a cut above the rest in the division (also had an ageing Jim Beglin) and had to throw lots of youngsters and loanees in

Atkins, May and Wilcox all took a lot of stick but then we also had Bob Dewhurst, Craig Skinner and John Millar.... then loanee signings like Bernie Gallacher, Jason Beckford and Phil Starbuck !

I would say we had much worse players back then, we just had a sprinkling of excellent ones too!

• Like 1

Who was that big Spanish lump from the Souness era - Yordi ?

And there was a Spanish left winger whose name escapes me.

Orr wasn't a bad player but probably had the worst attitude of any player I've seen at Ewood. I'd have lumped him in training in my playing days.

Who was that big Spanish lump from the Souness era - Yordi ?

Do you mean the man with a League Cup Winners medal? ;)

If he's the worst you can think of you're not trying :D

Surely todays team is the worst ever? You can't compare anyone from the prem era to this bunch of talentless bottlers

• Like 3

Do you mean the man with a League Cup Winners medal? ;)

If he's the worst you can think of you're not trying :D

Surely todays team is the worst ever? You can't compare anyone from the prem era to this bunch of talentless bottlers

He had a good scoring record 😄

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.