BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Amoruso

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add my two penneth worth I think that Amo is not the greatest defender in the league and on purely footballing terms we now have better options and so we should try to release him over summer. This does not take account of the fact that I think he is a very nice guy who always seems to have time for the fans.

He has to be one of the worst signings that we have ever made. It makes you wonder why Souness spent so much effort on buying him, when he was getting skinned by Jimmy McScuffer every week in Scotland. Apart from being slow and unable to tackle or defend, he is quite a good player and I hope that plenty of clubs are interested in him, in the summer.

It's these kind of ill-informed posts on Amoruso threads that hack me off something awful. "skinned by Jimmy McScuffer every week in Scotland"? The guy won (if memory serves) around 10 trophies in a 6 years spell at Rangers - if he such a useless defender was playing every single game for them, Celtic would have easily overtaken. Amoruso hasn't exactly been inspired for Rovers, but rubbish like that makes me wonder if you've seen him play more than 2 or 3 games.

What's ill-informed about it? I saw Amoruso play on a number of occasions and he saved his best games for Celtic, when he used to play well against the likes of Larsson and Sutton. The Jimmy McScuffer comment reflects what alot of other people have been saying, that he used to make his errors in the smaller games against weaker players. If it weren't for the fact that he had a number of good players around him like Klos, Moore and Ferguson, then I doubt that he would have done so well. So in that sense you could easily say that he was a poor signing, because when you make mistakes in this league you get punished. The fact that he has barely featured, since his return from injury, would suggest that Hughes isn't a big fan. There's no need to get on your high horse, when someone has an opinion about a player, which goes against yours.

What bothers me about Amo is that he is so good in Fifa that I can't not play him ahead of the reulars in real life....but getting back to the topic seriously I think he is getting old and has lost his position to the likes of Nelson and Moekena. Even if Matteo and Nissa were to both go I would rather give Gresko a chance ahead of him.

Roughly 12 months ago, Amoruso's return to the starting line up was the inspiration behind Rovers end of season run that saw us pull away from the bottom three.

But let's all jump on the bandwagon and slag him off shall we ?

How short some memories are ?

Roughly 12 months ago, Amoruso's return to the starting line up COINCIDED WITH Rovers end of season run that saw us pull away from the bottom three. (Note the bold text)

You perhaps weren't at Fulham away- when our season turned round IN SPITE of Amo, not because of him. The "oh sh*t" moments we came to know and hate with Dailly were there in abundance with Amo.

Edited by Jan

And Amoruso was part of the disaster defence at the start of this season and last.

To be honest the bottom line is:

1) Amo isn't good enough to be a first choice defender at Premiership level. His speed positioning and tendency to switch off make him too risky despite the clear positives he has about his game.

2) He's on too much to be a squad player, and at the wrong side of thirty too so we're not going to see any significant improvement.

Therefore we should release him come the end of the season. If Nissa and Matteo stay then he'd be fifth choice for cb, which surely cannot be justified on his wages.

And Amoruso was part of the disaster defence at the start of this season and last.

To be honest the bottom line is:

1) Amo isn't good enough to be a first choice defender at Premiership level. His speed positioning and tendency to switch off make him too risky despite the clear positives he has about his game.

2) He's on too much to be a squad player, and at the wrong side of thirty too so we're not going to see any significant improvement.

Therefore we should release him come the end of the season. If Nissa and Matteo stay then he'd be fifth choice for cb, which surely cannot be justified on his wages.

Don't disagree with any of that just don't like the bandwagon jumping idiots for where there is no halfway house.

Amoruso also had an excellent goalscoring record, not in fairness his job but did anybody complain when he notched ?

Seem to recall Souness stating that we would never had been in the trouble we were in had Short and Amoruso been fit all season

Roughly 12 months ago, Amoruso's return to the starting line up COINCIDED WITH Rovers end of season run that saw us pull away from the bottom three. (Note the bold text)

You perhaps weren't at Fulham away- when our season turned round IN SPITE of Amo, not because of him.  The "oh sh*t" moments we came to know and hate with Dailly were there in abundance with Amo.

Must go down as the most blinkered post this board has ever witnessed.

It's the sort of rubbish people come out with who refuse to admit one of their own players has played well.

Look back at the match reports , Amoruso and Short were outstanding at the end of the season.

I'm one of the first to admit Amoruso is not good enough for Rovers, especially as we play under Hughes, but credit should be given where it is due and at the end of last season Amoruso was excellent.

Edited by Brownie

Sorry- Todd would have (and has) been the better option. I'm sorry you can't move on and understand that. Amo is a useless duffer who would only be any good if "soccer" had the ridiculous American "football" rule that you could bring on a player for a minute (ie corners) and get rid again.

And I was actually at ALL the games of the run-in, both home and away and actually SAW the "quality" of defending.

Jan, you have a cheek to ask anyone to "move on" with something. Isn't there a Souness-bashing thread for you to be blethering away in? Last season Rovers were in the ######, with Todd playing all season. Amoruso came in and made an impact, helping us to avoid the drop. If you can't accept that and give a tiny bit of praise where it's due...well it sums you up perfectly. This season Todd has been far better than he ever before in his career and deserves his place on the team sheet.

True and criticism must also be given where due which sadly Amo at times has warrented.

However don't agree with Jan's utter slating. He isn't good enough but the guy always tries which many who have had the ability (Yorke) and those who haven't (Boothroyd) have not. I know which I prefer at rovers. Whatever anyone says about him - and my word there have been some shockers - you cannot fault his commitment or his brilliant attitude with the fans. How anyone can take delight in someone like Amo failing is beyond me.

The same with Neill who gets far too much criticism and every mistake or possible mistake made over analysed.

Then take your green and white glasses off and admit when a player has a good game.

Or do you know more than all the sports journalists, the managers etc etc ?

BTW, I know Todd is the better option, my son is being brought up playing centre half studying every move Todd makes.

I have told him Todd is the ultimate centre half to learn the game by.

He was after all another great Souness signing.

And Todd redeemed himself by falling out with Souness.

Anyway, hopefully Amoruso won't be in the team tonight and won't HAVE to be in the team for the rest of the season. I haven't predicted many losses from now till the end of the season- the way we played agains Soton and Arsenal for 85 minutes convinced me we're actually relatively good, but I'll change that to all losses if Amo comes in.

Edited by Jan

You perhaps weren't at Fulham away- when our season turned round IN SPITE of Amo, not because of him.

no it was in part DUE to Amo - his free kick helped if i remember correctly the one game he didnt play in if i remember correctly in the final few games was spurs away. Which of course we won. Oh wait, no we didnt

Agree he gave 100% and cared when we lost. He's also a nice guy- I think- didn't see him in Cardiff (only didn't see him and Reidy- cos we had to rush back). Just too expensive (both in fee and wages) for what we got.

Sorry- Todd would have (and has) been the better option. I'm sorry you can't move on and understand that. Amo is a useless duffer who would only be any good if "soccer" had the ridiculous American "football" rule that you could bring on a player for a minute (ie corners) and get rid again.

And I was actually at ALL the games of the run-in, both home and away and actually SAW the "quality" of defending.

You can't have been at Everton away then when by many reports he was outstanding and a major factor in us winning. Face it Jan if we won 5-0 tonight with 8 goal line clearances and a hat-trick from Amo you would still slate hime for something. It's that attitude which stops people taking your posts on this subject and Souness seriously.

no it was in part DUE to Amo - his free kick helped if i remember correctly the one game he didnt play in if i remember correctly in the final few games was spurs away. Which of course we won. Oh wait, no we didnt

Accurate as usual. No, he didn't play in this loss. He also managed not to play in our 1-0 win over Manure at Ewood- I just checked on the official site. So therefore there must have been some other reason we won that one!

And Todd redeemed himself by falling out with Souness.

Anyway, hopefully Amoruso won't be in the team tonight and won't HAVE to be in the team for the rest of the season. I haven't predicted many losses from now till the end of the season- the way we played agains Soton and Arsenal for 85 minutes convinced me we're actually relatively good, but I'll change that to all losses if Amo comes in.

Jan what are you on? If we brought in Amoruso we would not lose every game, we may let in the odd goal more than we have been but that wouldnt mean us losing EVERY game!

Accurate as usual. No, he didn't play in this loss. He also managed not to play in our 1-0 win over Manure at Ewood- I just checked on the official site. So therefore there must have been some other reason we won that one!

Amo left his hair on the goal line wink.gif

Jan what are you on? If we brought in Amoruso we would not lose every game, we may let in the odd goal more than we have been but that wouldnt mean us losing EVERY game!

It probably would mean that we would lose every game or not win them anyway, because of the lack of goals that we score.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.