SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Amoruso

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amo said on Radio Lancashire this morning, that if he doesn't get into the first team, he will ask for a transfer in the January window.

350162[/snapback]

Thank god for that.

All credit to him though if he's as good as his word rather than just being content to pick up his pay packet. i.e. Flitcroft

Maybe Souness has been on the phone to him  biggrin.gif

350215[/snapback]

I'd loved that biggrin.gif

"Souness splashes out at Rovers defender. With a £3 mill bid the former Rovers manager hopes to add another quality bargain defender, and ex-Rangers star, into his under-performing Newcastle"

• 1 month later...

best leave him be, not safe to have him in the team, i honestly think he was one of the reasons that the form of Neil and Gray suffered, look how good they play with quality CB's now, its night and day, happens allot with CB's

but the Amo gave his all so we can't complain, his standard is Scotland

best leave him be, not safe to have him in the team, i honestly think he was one of the reasons that the form of Neil and Gray suffered, look how good they play with quality CB's now, its night and day, happens allot with CB's

but the Amo gave his all so we can't complain, his standard is Scotland

359914[/snapback]

Absolutey, the man is terrible.

The worst thing...a myth exists that he can play the ball from defence. Hah! All he does is chip the ball towards midfield...admittedly, it looks calm when he does it, but there's absolutely nothing in those passes that warrants the time and effort he puts into them.

Absolutey, the man is terrible.

The worst thing...a myth exists that he can play the ball from defence.  Hah!  All he does is chip the ball towards midfield...admittedly, it looks calm when he does it, but there's absolutely nothing in those passes that warrants the time and effort he puts into them.

359951[/snapback]

A myth that I believed in for some time and likely still do. It's been so long since I've seen him I've forgot. I still don't think Amo was that bad all round. He came with a bad rap cos of a few huge clangers dropped and we all know that Rovers, unless you are a "chosen one", is no the place to lose that. That said he can't come close to the ability of what we have now or the confidence they instill in me.

amo is out of contract at season's end anyway i think huh.gif

so even if no-one comes in for him, this will be his last season at rovers anyway. he might hve been a very ordinary footballer, but at the time he gave us toughness that we did not have. now, we have the toughness as well as centre halfs who can play football aswell.

A myth that I believed in for some time and likely still do.  It's been so long since I've seen him I've forgot.  I still don't think Amo was that bad all round. He came with a bad rap cos of a few huge clangers dropped and we all know that Rovers, unless you are a "chosen one", is no the place to lose that.  That said he can't come close to the ability of what we have now or the confidence they instill in me.

359984[/snapback]

i had such huge arguements on this board about Amo a couple of years ago, i hated him being in the team, but i have really seen him do some shocking stuff. Best defenders are just rocks at the back, that all they need to be, let the full back have a bit of fair, but CB, simple job, DEFEND, he could not do the simple job very well, but he could hit a free kick sometimes, so looked good inconsistently.

Amoruso was a terrible signing by Souness and I couldn't believe how badly Souness wanted him, considering what a mediocre player that he was. I was never confident with him at the back and finally someone (Hughes), has seen the light and dropped him from the first team. Our first choice defenders in Khizianisvili, Todd and Nelsen are so much better, that Amoruso will not get a look in, unless they all become injured. Even if two were injured, I'b be more likely to partner Mokoena with one of them, rather than Amoruso, at least Mokoena has some pace. There's no doubt that Amoruso always gave it his all, but he just isn't good enough and I hope that he is sold in January, to get him off the wage bill. That money could be put to better use.

Royrover

I said all that before we purchased him instead of keeping Henning Berg. At least with Henning we'd only have had to pay one extra year's wages!

However, when Andy Todd and Michael Gray both went off injured, the spectre of a lumbering chap with a bad haircut whose only discernable skill seems to be cooking getting near the bench did fill me with dread!

Edited by Jan

If we want to pay off the rest of his wages yes. Doesn't make much sense though does it, pay his wages and not having him there just in case.

I thought he did well for us at times and was simply the scape goat for a bad team and an even worse defense. Not a great signing, not worth the money, but doesn't deserve all of the flack that he gets.

I'm firmly of the oppinion that despite the odd good game and the fact he tried hard, which goes far in my book, he deserved the flack for some shocking errors defensively. I'll never dislike him, the person though, as he tried but wasn't genuinely good enough. As a player though he made far too many mistakes and I was never comfortable with him at the back.

Still, it shows football is a funny old game. Amo is first choice at a successful* rangers team wins player of the season and turns out to be a dud. Kish- Zurab can't get in a pants rangers team and turns out to be the find of the season.

* successful in this case means winning a 2 team league with vastly superior players and finances, the odd cup and getting nowhere in europe despite regular attempts.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.