SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Anti-rovers Setiment

americanrover

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just got back from Cardiff & read the Sunday Times reprts on the match I have e-mailed their sports desk:-

" Dear Sir

It is not customary for me to feel so strongly after reading a newspaper article that I should want to respond. However, having read the various reports concerning Saturday’s FA Cup Semi Final, between Blackburn Rovers and Arsenal, I feel I must challenge a number of comments made in your newspaper.

In an effort to set the record straight, I would make the following points :-

• Blackburn Rovers are clearly not a big city club. In fact, Blackburn is probably the smallest town in England lucky enough to have a Premiership football team. Your journalists appear to have contracted a disease called ‘big-club-itus’ which is so easy to catch from others. They should be careful in their comments regarding Blackburn whilst considering the town has a population of just over 100,000.

• The fact that the FA, for reasons best known to themselves, decided to play a game over 200 miles from Blackburn with a 12.15 kick-off time is a matter for them. The fact that almost 20% of the population of Blackburn set off at 5am to make the game, and paid up to £45 (yes, David Davies, £45!) for the privilege, is no small matter. If Manchester United had managed the same 20% then over 300,000 would have turned up in red shirts on Sunday.

• Mark Hughes deserves much credit for steering a side to a Cup Semi-Final within months of his arrival. Blackburn are obviously a side in transition and their manger will bring in new faces, particularly strikers, in the Summer. He has not yet had the luxury of the time or money that Mr Wenger has enjoyed.

• Blackburn Rovers have won the Cup six times. They have appeared in eighteen semi-finals (only seven other teams have appeared in more). Blackburn won the Worthington Cup only three years ago. They are one of only three teams to win the Premier League. They appear well up in all time Premier League rankings. They are one of the form League teams since Christmas. Credit where credit’s due, this is a team that over delivers and their achievements should not be belittled.

• With regard to the game. Please be reminded that for all supporters outside the M25, Arsenal are regarded as a team not afraid of falling to ground to win free kicks. This may come as a shock to your London based correspondents, but it is the truth. In some football supporters eyes this is regarded as cheating, just the same as late or strong challenges.

• Were it not for an incorrect off-side decision, Blackburn may have taken the lead in a game more even than you suggest, particularly in the first half.

• As you point out, in the game Blackburn received six yellow cards to Arsenal’s three. Clearly, Steve Dunn (a referee of some experience) holds the view that strong challenges should still be part of the modern game. Mark Hughes confirmed his team were asked to compete but not to use rough tactics – I believe he is an honest man.

• The influx of foreign players over the last ten years (particularly to bigger clubs) should not confuse people into thinking football has become a non-contact sport, whatever those players may think. Blackburn field a side dotted with British players and I believe this gives then a competitive advantage in many respects.

• I confirm that as a Rovers fan of over 35 years standing I have a bias towards Blackburn Rovers – the difference is at least I am honest enough to admit it. I would only ask that your sports journalists adopt impartiality in their reporting in future.

Regards "

I want to see Rovers compete, get stuck in, mess up the opposition in a footballing way, but when you see on the TV someone score a goal then from three yards away when the ball hits the back of the net our defender runs past then 'accidentally' elbows Van Persie in the face, accident.... your having a laugh take the blinkers off, please.

Todd could and should have avoided contact after he Van persie had released his shot - this type of action twinned with the fact that we didnt create many goal scoring chances gives us the bad press that we deserved.

I dont like that kind of press weve recieved, but we deserve it, so we have to address it which i have every faith that Rovers will do.

I cant wait for Wednesdays game to come and go and this whole episode put behind us, what will the Palace players be thinking on their trip to Ewood Park - ninety minutes of hell - get into em !

Having just got back from Cardiff & read the Sunday Times reprts on the match I have e-mailed their sports desk:-

" Dear Sir

It is not customary for me to feel so strongly after reading a newspaper article that I should want to respond. However, having read the various reports concerning Saturday’s FA Cup Semi Final, between Blackburn Rovers and Arsenal, I feel I must challenge a number of comments made in your newspaper.

In an effort to set the record straight, I would make the following points :-

• Blackburn Rovers are clearly not a big city club. In fact, Blackburn is probably the smallest town in England lucky enough to have a Premiership football team. Your journalists appear to have contracted a disease called ‘big-club-itus’ which is so easy to catch from others. They should be careful in their comments regarding Blackburn whilst considering the town has a population of just over 100,000.

• The fact that the FA, for reasons best known to themselves, decided to play a game over 200 miles from Blackburn with a 12.15 kick-off time is a matter for them. The fact that almost 20% of the population of Blackburn set off at 5am to make the game, and paid up to £45 (yes, David Davies, £45!) for the privilege, is no small matter. If Manchester United had managed the same 20% then over 300,000 would have turned up in red shirts on Sunday.

• Mark Hughes deserves much credit for steering a side to a Cup Semi-Final within months of his arrival. Blackburn are obviously a side in transition and their manger will bring in new faces, particularly strikers, in the Summer. He has not yet had the luxury of the time or money that Mr Wenger has enjoyed.

• Blackburn Rovers have won the Cup six times. They have appeared in eighteen semi-finals (only seven other teams have appeared in more). Blackburn won the Worthington Cup only three years ago. They are one of only three teams to win the Premier League. They appear well up in all time Premier League rankings. They are one of the form League teams since Christmas. Credit where credit’s due, this is a team that over delivers and their achievements should not be belittled.

• With regard to the game. Please be reminded that for all supporters outside the M25, Arsenal are regarded as a team not afraid of falling to ground to win free kicks. This may come as a shock to your London based correspondents, but it is the truth. In some football supporters eyes this is regarded as cheating, just the same as late or strong challenges.

• Were it not for an incorrect off-side decision, Blackburn may have taken the lead in a game more even than you suggest, particularly in the first half.

• As you point out, in the game Blackburn received six yellow cards to Arsenal’s three. Clearly, Steve Dunn (a referee of some experience) holds the view that strong challenges should still be part of the modern game. Mark Hughes confirmed his team were asked to compete but not to use rough tactics – I believe he is an honest man.

• The influx of foreign players over the last ten years (particularly to bigger clubs) should not confuse people into thinking football has become a non-contact sport, whatever those players may think. Blackburn field a side dotted with British players and I believe this gives then a competitive advantage in many respects.

• I confirm that as a Rovers fan of over 35 years standing I have a bias towards Blackburn Rovers – the difference is at least I am honest enough to admit it. I would only ask that your sports journalists adopt impartiality in their reporting in future. 

Regards "

Read the same report. Couldn't have put it better myself. I actually only made it to the end of the first paragraph on page 2, couldn't stand anymore of the drivel.

My call on 606 just now didn't seem to get much of a reaction. They are stout these journalists.

I think I heard your call Matt.

Well said by the way.

That was me, unless there were another Matthew from Belfast phoning up to defend Rovers.

Todd - Van Persie collision was a total accident.

Todd instinctively raised his arm to protect himself, otherwise it could have been him with the gashed lip.

Had some fun outside the stadium after the match with Arsenal fans, pointing at the ground and saying "look out mate, mind you don't trip over that !!".

Some of them even got the joke and laughed.

All the spin spouted by Wenger and the Arsophiles in the media is basically them getting their defence in first. Everybody knows they're a bunch of simulators.............even their own real fans.

Earlier somebody said that there will be a European Super League within 10 years, my only comment would be "please let it be sooner", then we can get back to some real football. Anybody else find the advert for the Football League inspiring ?

The sooner the "big clubs" dissappear up their own, and take their plastic fans and sycophants with them, the better.

Here's a few of the truly inspiring fixtures, off the top of my head, that they can look forward to, (all marred by unpleasantness, but at least they had more than 17,500 fans there)

Juventus v. Liverpool

Chelsea v. Barcelona

The Milan Derby

Galatasaray v. Leeds

Roma v. Man Utd

Edited by OnePost

We were being competitive, Arsenal (especially Reyes) were diving, but we are a little rough at times.

As for Todd, as a hockey fan, I loved it. If you watch the video, it does look as if it were an accident, and his reaction more seemed like he felt he was being attacked, by the way he pushed out when he was touched.

And if you're a bit of a nutter like Todd, first instinct is to get in first. Well done lad. Funny seeing him on the ground.

Glenn Moore displays his lack of knowledge. Perhaps The Indeperndent writer should take the rest of the season off and see the same psychologist Matty is with?

This is more measured than the pitiable contribution from The Observer.

The Times is entirely fair- perhaps jim had a word on our behalf?

The press have largely moved on from castigating us to raking over the clueless surrender monkeys in black and white.

Edited by philipl

but when you see on the TV someone score a goal then from three yards away when the ball hits the back of the net our defender runs past then 'accidentally' elbows Van Persie in the face, accident.... your having a laugh take the blinkers off, please.

Todd could and should have avoided contact after he Van persie had released his shot - this type of action twinned with the fact that we didnt create many goal scoring chances gives us the bad press that we deserved.

I dont like that kind of press weve recieved, but we deserve it, so we have to address it which i have every faith that Rovers will do.

I cant wait for Wednesdays game to come and go and this whole episode put behind us, what will the Palace players be thinking on their trip to Ewood Park - ninety minutes of hell - get into em !

You will insist on continuing with these stupid allegations wont you Jal. mad.gif Despite it being plain for all to see on the view from behind Todd that

A. He did NOT raise his arm until after contact was made. (Try it yourself. I cannot even think that contact was made with the 'point' of the elbow for that matter but rather the upper arm.)

B. van persie moved towards him rather than the other way around.

I suggest that you can only be

1. Blind.

2. Totally bereft of any experience of playing the game.

3. Thick as flerk.

I dont think that I need go on.

For me, the big tell-tale sign was Todd's reaction to the contact, the double take he makes is a either a sign of a very very good actor, or someone that wasn't expecting to find somebody sprinting into his shoulder.

Personally, I don't think Todd was up to faking that reaction.

After rewatching it from three angles half a dozen times I don't believe Todd knew a thing about it under Van Persey hit him.

Glenn Moore displays his lack of knowledge. Perhaps The Indeperndent writer should take the rest of the season off and see the same psychologist Matty is with?

"Indepenant" eh? Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

He should be made to apologise to BRFC, Matty and Mark Hughes. In his position ignorance can be no excuse for such insensitivety.

For me, the big tell-tale sign was Todd's reaction to the contact, the double take he makes is a either a sign of a very very good actor, or someone that wasn't expecting to find somebody sprinting into his shoulder.

Personally, I don't think Todd was up to faking that reaction.

After rewatching it from three angles half a dozen times I don't believe Todd knew a thing about it under Van Persey hit him.

Exactly Glenn! Obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse.... but only from behind.

Push anybody from the side suddenly and their arm will aotomatically come up to provide counter balance.

I cannot think what Hansen and Linekar's agenda is when with all the technical tv wizadry and with all their experience they still follow the 'popular' route in condemning Todd.

We did put in some bad tackles, Savage deserved a yellow and Thompson was poor in every department but especially in his tackling. When he made 4 or 5 attapts to takle / foul Virea was a joke.

However the media and Arsenal claim we tried to stop the game at every opportunity and the ref was lenient made me laugh. OK we were at times a little over the top but that could be counted on one hand. However I doubt all the hands at the game would suffice in counting the number of times Arsenal players went down whenever the wind blew.

I remember a bad challenge on a Rovers player which was worse than most of the challenges we put in, but the player just got up and got on with the game.

We played well for 20 to 30 minutes of the first half, Arsenal hardly had the ball, but all in all, it was a fantastic day out which I would not have missed it for anything.

Bring on Palace and next season we will win the cup rover.gif

We did put in some bad tackles, Savage deserved a yellow and Thompson was poor in every department but especially in his tackling. When he made 4 or 5 attapts to takle / foul Virea was a joke.

However the media and Arsenal claim we tried to stop the game at every opportunity and the ref was lenient made me laugh. OK we were at times a little over the top but that could be counted on one hand. However I doubt all the hands at the game would suffice in counting the number of times Arsenal players went down whenever the wind blew.

I remember a bad challenge on a Rovers player which was worse than most of the challenges we put in, but the player just got up and got on with the game.

We played well for 20 to 30 minutes of the first half, Arsenal hardly had the ball, but all in all, it was a fantastic day out which I would not have missed it for anything.

Bring on Palace and next season we will win the cup rover.gif

If I rem correctly Vierra's tackle from the back on Dickov (?) when he was through was a cast iron booking but Vierra never got carded did he? If he had he may have curtailed some of his play acting.

No one likes us, we don't care.

How dare we not sell all our seats, even then we have the bare faced cheek to actually compete and challenge - it's just not on. I have every sympathy for the media - they shouldn't have to report on "smaller" teams like Blackburn Rovers.

The FA should get things sorted out once and for all. Make the draw for the Semi-Finals of next years "Greatest Cup Competition in the World" now. After all they are at the new Wembley - last thing they'll want is for a bunch of Northern gate crashers turning up again.

Manchester United v Liverpool

Chelsea v Arsenal

There. In fact let's have those teams in the semi final every year, it'll be ever so exciting.

Andy Todd should be thrown in the tower of London, Thompson and Flitcroft should be deported for being booked (new legislation should be introduced for Rovers players who receive two yellow cards in a match - a single shot to the head administered by the fourth official) and Savage should be banned for life simply because he annoys people.

No one likes us, they can please themselves. Roll on Wednesday.

If Forest go down whats the betting the old 'we hate Nottingham Forest' chant will get changed to 'we hate Blackburn Rovers, we hate Liverpool too.........We hate Bolton Wanderers*, but southern poofs we love you'.

nice ring to it methinks! wink.gif

*Man Utd obviously being acceptable to the southerners nowadays.

Edited by thenodrog

rover.gif i refuse to buy any paper apart from the let,i recommend you who are bothered about the biased reprting do the same tinykit.gif

I hardly think Andy Neild plays it straight down the middle waggy. But it is the only one that I buy these days.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.